cracked discs help

Reaction score
F77E1161 3582 471B B6FE 9B391AC0E1C8
Has anyone experienced the front disks cracking where they are drilled before? It has them full way round the disk
See pic

Hi, I had this on my Cayman but not seen it on the RS3 until now! do you track it?

Hi, I had this on my Cayman but not seen it on the RS3 until now! do you track it?
No not been tracked since I’ve owned it, just noticed yesterday when I gave it’s a wash and detail,

It is difficult to see if your cracks are shallow crazing, or if they go deeper. Either way, it is due to excessive heat either constantly applied (eg sticking caliper) or dynamically applied (eg spirited driving:friendly wink:).

Crazing can be skimmed off as they usually do not penetrate more than a few thousandths of an inch. But generally in todays market, they are just replaced.

Another cause of cracking, and you could try to take this up with Audi, is inferior casting process. Try fighting this one and you might get a little bit off a new disc... but do not hold your breath!

Reactions: Rayner_1704 and D0C
I’ve had this on a 911 too but not on the rs (yet)

Reactions: Rayner_1704
It is difficult to see if your cracks are shallow crazing, or if they go deeper. Either way, it is due to excessive heat either constantly applied (eg sticking caliper) or dynamically applied (eg spirited driving:friendly wink:).

Crazing can be skimmed off as they usually do not penetrate more than a few thousandths of an inch. But generally in todays market, they are just replaced.

Another cause of cracking, and you could try to take this up with Audi, is inferior casting process. Try fighting this one and you might get a little bit off a new disc... but do not hold your breath!

Apologies to jump in on a thread, I don’t suppose you know what the typical lifespan of a disc would be? We have usually always judged by how steep of a lip is on a disc, but is there a measurement you can take? At 10k I have a slight lip on mine to the touch.

When the stock discs get very overheated (or other types too) the drilled areas in the disc surface become an area that promotes cracking.
Really abused brakes can crack quite badly.......see example of RS3 disc below (not off my car by the way)

Upload 2018 8 23 23 51 9

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayner_1704 and jimojameso
Apologies to jump in on a thread, I don’t suppose you know what the typical lifespan of a disc would be? We have usually always judged by how steep of a lip is on a disc, but is there a measurement you can take? At 10k I have a slight lip on mine to the touch.
The minimum disc thickness is stamped on the disc hub, beebee-one's photo shows it. If you take a measurement now and then a few k miles later you can work out the expected lifespan for your discs and driving style.

Was with a PFL owner who had swapped is wavy discs for Reyland 2 piece front and rear last week.

We measured his old discs (16k) and they were just a smidge over 33 mm

Was with a PFL owner who had swapped is wavy discs for Reyland 2 piece front and rear last week.

We measured his old discs (16k) and they were just a smidge over 33 mm
Mines done 27k but I think the previous owner must have had them swapped due to condition when I picked it up

Anyone any recommendations on new disks, I don’t track it so no need for the best of the best spending £1000+
Any suggestions welcome

Rather than asking for the 'best', better ask for ones with a metal compound to suit the pads you use or want to use. I use the oem wavy discs with EBC Redstuff pads that works an absolute treat for me. Others prefer oem discs with Ferodo pads that appear also to work a treat. Then there is Tarox, AP Brembo etc - you will get as many differing opinions as you will replies.

What does not seem to work are oem discs with oem pads..!

Reactions: Terminator x, Marshy and Rayner_1704
Rather than asking for the 'best', better ask for ones with a metal compound to suit the pads you use or want to use. I use the oem wavy discs with EBC Redstuff pads that works an absolute treat for me. Others prefer oem discs with Ferodo pads that appear also to work a treat. Then there is Tarox, AP Brembo etc - you will get as many differing opinions as you will replies.

What does not seem to work are oem discs with oem pads..!
Best place to buy oem?audi directly? Best place to buy aftermarket ?

Thanks for all the reply’s guys

Reyland 2 piece fronts

Note wavy design was cut in afterwards by another company
47505f9bc3607a664054d8ad1c00f822.jpg

Rear 2 piece discs

9fbd7bbed234ef778fcb4a2d54d884bb.jpg

£1250 the lot.

Reactions: Beebee-one
The minimum disc thickness is stamped on the disc hub, beebee-one's photo shows it. If you take a measurement now and then a few k miles later you can work out the expected lifespan for your discs and driving style.

That’s great thank you.

Only thing though, the lip on the disc would throw the measurement out?

Funnily enough on the brakes topic, I’m currently sat in a caravan in West Wales waiting for Audi Assist.

I have a nasty noise from the near side front disc, seems to be a stone or something lodged.. tried some heavy and continuous braking and it hasn’t cleared. As the new cars don’t come with jacks, I’ve called them out to remove the wheel / pads to check. The face of the disc is fine, but I worry that the rear is being scored so don’t want to keep driving in the hope it will go in case it is doing damamge.

That’s great thank you.

Funnily enough on the brakes topic, I’m currently sat in a caravan in West Wales waiting for Audi Assist.

I have a nasty noise from the near side front disc, seems to be a stone or something lodged.. tried some heavy and continuous braking and it hasn’t cleared. As the new cars don’t come with jacks, I’ve called them out to remove the wheel / pads to check. The face of the disc is fine, but I worry that the rear is being scored so don’t want to keep driving in the hope it will go in case it is doing damamge.
You can use a micrometer that passes over the lip to measure the disc thickness.

My car came with a jack, odd that yours didnt, mine is a saloon tho but still odd.

Youve not had much luck with your car recently, hopefully just a stone like you say.

You can use a micrometer that passes over the lip to measure the disc thickness.

My car came with a jack, odd that yours didnt, mine is a saloon tho but still odd.

Youve not had much luck with your car recently, hopefully just a stone like you say.

Idea! I shall get one off of eBay :D Didn’t even think of that.

Where is your jack? They don’t come with a spare so I assume there is no jack? I’ve got the toolkit in the side.

I literally drove to the caravan with it squeaking, he couldn’t find anything so went for a drive and it was gone.. Typical! I’m glad though.

Idea! I shall get one off of eBay :D Didn’t even think of that.

Where is your jack? They don’t come with a spare so I assume there is no jack? I’ve got the toolkit in the side.

I literally drove to the caravan with it squeaking, he couldn’t find anything so went for a drive and it was gone.. Typical! I’m glad though.
Jack should be located under the removal boot floor panel at the back just behind the back seats. It should be neatly secured in it's own moulded pocket and the winder in a separate pocket on the left.

Jack should be located under the removal boot floor panel at the back just behind the back seats. It should be neatly secured in it's own moulded pocket and the winder in a separate pocket on the left.

Well then, the car only has a jack :lmfao:

I’ve been under that cover god knows how many times but never removed it to see the jack at the back, oh well. Why supply a jack if you can’t change the wheel anyway? That’s the assumption I went off of.

Wouldn’t want to scratch the jack anyway ;)

My jack is near the battery under the boot floor. I carry a space saver and breaker bar in the boot as hate the thought of getting stranded.

That’s great thank you.

Please let me know how you get on with this. My car has been into Audi three times with a horrific intermittent grating sound. I'd swear it's the brake shield/guard catching but they are adamant it's not catching.

I must stress, this is an awful sound and extremely loud, like a piece of sheet metal is being dragged over concrete. I'm not sure what else it could be, but Audi are refusing to look any further into it. I also occasionally hear a metal 'twang' sound which I think backs up my thoughts that something is catching intermittently and then sometimes gets completely stuck, which is when it sounds really bad and makes you instantly pull over to the side of the road for fear your wheel is hanging off!

Reyland 2 piece fronts

Note wavy design was cut in afterwards by another company
47505f9bc3607a664054d8ad1c00f822.jpg

Rear 2 piece discs

9fbd7bbed234ef778fcb4a2d54d884bb.jpg

£1250 the lot.
Bit small at the back Sean ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Please let me know how you get on with this. My car has been into Audi three times with a horrific intermittent grating sound. I'd swear it's the brake shield/guard catching but they are adamant it's not catching.

I must stress, this is an awful sound and extremely loud, like a piece of sheet metal is being dragged over concrete. I'm not sure what else it could be, but Audi are refusing to look any further into it. I also occasionally hear a metal 'twang' sound which I think backs up my thoughts that something is catching intermittently and then sometimes gets completely stuck, which is when it sounds really bad and makes you instantly pull over to the side of the road for fear your wheel is hanging off!

Can you get your fingers around to the inside of the wheel and if so, feel for any grooving on the wheel itself?

A common enough issue with cars fitted with 'big brakes' is a small stone lodging itself on the outside of a caliper and rubbing on the wheel. I had it a lot with a Mercedes I had a while back where the ctearance between caliper and wheel was a mere 5mm.

My jack is near the battery under the boot floor. I carry a space saver and breaker bar in the boot as hate the thought of getting stranded.

Where do you keep your space saver? Must be ontop of the boot floor?

Well I drove to the caravan we are in with it making the noise. The AA came out, not the cheeriest of chaps and didn’t know a think about the RS and didn’t really believe me that the discs and pads on the front cost a grand.

Removed the wheel and he said he couldn’t see anything, no scoring on the inside of the disc. He manipulated the guard behind the disc back a tiny bit and then refitted it all.

This is why I was concerned... 5 miles or so of speed, continuous braking and heavy braking didn’t stop it. In the video I’m applying pressure down a steep hill, but it sounded like metal on metal when free rolling.

Excuse the poor quality video, that’s down to my girlfriend deciding the texture on the doorcard was the best place to point the camera and the last 20 seconds doesn’t have a lot going on.

Anyway took it for a drive and it was gone. Came back and told the guy it was fine “well I didn’t see anything fall out”, well sorry there was an issue evidently.

Glad it’s sorted now! DOC, maybe it’s your guard behind the disc catching?

Where do you keep your space saver? Must be ontop of the boot floor?
Yeah on top of the boot floor, makes the boot very small but I can get everything in that I need.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Yeah on top of the boot floor, makes the boot very small but I can get everything in that I need.

I won’t be using that repair kit, kills the tyres so they can’t be repaired and makes a mess of the alloy.

If I get a flat I will call the breakdown and get it recovered.

I won’t be using that repair kit, kills the tyres so they can’t be repaired and makes a mess of the alloy.

If I get a flat I will call the breakdown and get it recovered.

I bet the AA will chuck the repair sealant in

I’m actually surprised you drive it at all the amount of issues that plague you.

Every time you sit in it I bet you are wondering, what next?

Reactions: DW81
I bet the AA will chuck the repair sealant in

I’m actually surprised you drive it at all the amount of issues that plague you.

Every time you sit in it I bet you are wondering, what next?

They will have a bit of a stand off on their hands :lmfao:

I’d rather call and pay for a £100 recovery than deal with the sh*t that would be left on my alloy after using the gunk, not to mention that the tyre could be repaired. What’s wrong with a spare wheel ***, so annoying.

Yeah I wonder myself sometimes haha, there is always something! Try not to let it get me down

Well I drove to the caravan we are in with it making the noise. The AA came out, not the cheeriest of chaps and didn’t know a think about the RS and didn’t really believe me that the discs and pads on the front cost a grand.

Removed the wheel and he said he couldn’t see anything, no scoring on the inside of the disc. He manipulated the guard behind the disc back a tiny bit and then refitted it all.

This is why I was concerned... 5 miles or so of speed, continuous braking and heavy braking didn’t stop it. In the video I’m applying pressure down a steep hill, but it sounded like metal on metal when free rolling.

Excuse the poor quality video, that’s down to my girlfriend deciding the texture on the doorcard was the best place to point the camera and the last 20 seconds doesn’t have a lot going on.

Anyway took it for a drive and it was gone. Came back and told the guy it was fine “well I didn’t see anything fall out”, well sorry there was an issue evidently.

Glad it’s sorted now! DOC, maybe it’s your guard behind the disc catching?

I would say that sounds like a stone trapped. Mine is about 4x louder and more like a metallic grating sound. It really sh*ts you up and you pull over immediately.

Edit: thinking more about the sound, imagine if you have a shovel and are shovelling up something on concrete, that awful sound where the shovel hits the concrete is what mine sounds like, permanently! It then stops as if something has freed.

Last edited:
I would say that sounds like a stone trapped. Mine is about 4x louder and more like a metallic grating sound. It really sh*ts you up and you pull over immediately.

Edit: thinking more about the sound, imagine if you have a shovel and are shovelling up something on concrete, that awful sound where the shovel hits the concrete is what mine sounds like, permanently! It then stops as if something has freed.

Oh that’s really worrying. Have you gotten a sound recording and shown it to Audi? I don’t see how they can ignore it!

Problem is getting it to happen when Audi drive it, which will never happen :(

No chance of a recording. It's happened half a dozen times where it's fully making its racket. I suppose next time I could try. The times where it just makes a twang sound, you could never predict to record.

First part sounds like being in the London Underground commute to work:tearsofjoy:

On a serious note I have to agree with Doc. Could be a stone caught. Have you tried putting the car in reverse and then driving backwards for abit and then going foward. Had this before and doing this worked a treat. Need a nice quite long road mind you.

No chance of a recording. It's happened half a dozen times where it's fully making its racket. I suppose next time I could try. The times where it just makes a twang sound, you could never predict to record.

Yes try and record it, it’s your best chance. The ‘twang’ you describe sounds like the guard on the back of the disc catching to me.

First part sounds like being in the London Underground commute to work:tearsofjoy:

On a serious note I have to agree with Doc. Could be a stone caught. Have you tried putting the car in reverse and then driving backwards for abit and then going foward. Had this before and doing this worked a treat. Need a nice quite long road mind you.

I wouldn’t know, thank god don’t have to use public transport ;)

It must have been. You know what, you might have just hit the nail on the head!! For 5 odd miles it didn’t go, stop started.. tried everything, all except for reverse haha! Then the last movement I made was reversing in front of the caravan, AA came and nothing was to be found. I bet you moving backwards got rid of it! I know what to do in future. If it was any other car I’d have continued driving but because of how much the discs cost I didn’t want to knowingly keep driving and risk scoring the disc.

No worries mate. I read about this on another forum and it was mentioned by another owner. I took his advise when this happened to me and, Viola