Cracked alloy, repair or replace?

Inked

Reaction score
Managed to spit the inside edge of an alloy this weekend, just wondering if it’s worth getting it repaired (anyone done this successfully? ) or if I should just stump up for a new wheel.

If new wheel, does anyone know the price for a 19" x 8.5J '10-V spoke' design wheel?

Would need to see a picture first, but with a crack I am not sure I would risk it even though it's edge...

4ef4301146b5e049c55be6734151e73c.jpg

A local company has quoted £72 to fix it. Going to give it a go :/

Personally I would not trust it, how did you manage to crack it? Must have been quite animpactto crack it, if it was a pothole then the wheel could be deformed...

Reactions: NevMan
I definitely hit a big pothole with that wheel yesterday and a few hours later the pressure warning flashed up.

Wheel didn’t look deformed when kwik fit removed it today (was hoping it was just a puncture), but I’ll let the wheel repair company look at it and take their advice on whether there is more damage. Wonder if it may be best swapping that wheel to the rear of the car if it is repaired.

Where are you. I have a few customers who successfully weld these up.

Take it to a reputable wheel place and they can weld that up no problem at all.

I’ve seen wheels that have been fixed that I thought were scrap.

Reactions: Inked
You can have it welded. I wouldn’t leave it long though to be fair. Also look at claiming repair back if you know where the pothole was and you can get back there and take a pic before it’s closed up. Not sure but in the North of Ireland we can do this through the road authorities.

Reactions: Inked
I know people are saying that you can get it welded but I doubt I'd be happy with that. I've always reckoned that you don't skimp on tyres and brakes and, on reading this thread, I think I would be adding wheels to that.

That said, I don't doubt that a new wheel will not be a cheap option so can only add that, whatever choice you make, hopefully it'll be the correct one.

Reactions: Inked and cuke2u
You can have it welded. I wouldn’t leave it long though to be fair. Also look at claiming repair back if you know where the pothole was and you can get back there and take a pic before it’s closed up. Not sure but in the North of Ireland we can do this through the road authorities.
If it were to be a claim I'd be asking for a new replacement wheel. I can understand other peoples experiences might suggest a weld will be fine, however it still will be a weak point in the wheel...

Reactions: mjcairney
To be honest, if the weld is done correctly it'll likely be as strong, if not stronger, than the original material. I work with welding a great deal at work and if it's done correctly it's never the failure point, but there's obviously the caveat of it having to be done properly. :)

Reactions: SMI77, cuke2u, Inked and 2 others
Also if the pothole was bad enough to cause that, there is a chance the rim is slightly distorted.

Reactions: SMI77, cuke2u, Inked and 2 others
To be honest, if the weld is done correctly it'll likely be as strong, if not stronger, than the original material. I work with welding a great deal at work and if it's done correctly it's never the failure point, but there's obviously the caveat of it having to be done properly. :)

+1 on having the work done by a reputable, professional repairer. Have had alloy wheels repaired with no problem.
Also, this is the exact reason I have been strongly advised against powdering coating as that process hides cracks.

Also if the pothole was bad enough to cause that, there is a chance the rim is slightly distorted.

If the repairer is professional, they should check for any other damage and report before proceeding.

Reactions: Daggerit
Upgrade to a set of 20" :icon thumright:

Attachments

• RS4 1.jpg
    RS4 1.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 262
Reactions: NevMan and Inked
Ah, if only I had the cash!

Wheel has been successfully repaired. I’ve now got all the paperwork and photos to send through to the council to claim for the damage.

Reactions: a4sline2
Ah, if only I had the cash!

Wheel has been successfully repaired. I’ve now got all the paperwork and photos to send through to the council to claim for the damage.

Good luck with the council :icon thumright:, they're notorious for being slippery when it comes to potholes
They sneak out in the dead of night, fill them in and deny anything happened :)

Been trying to get rid of my wheels for a couple of weeks now and moving house soon and they're really in the way.
Not even had any cheeky offers either :welcoming: :welcoming:

Good luck with your claim to the Council. Keep us updated on here please.