Cover for power lead

sharma

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody knew where i can get insulation for the car power lead comming from the battery going to the amplifier. I only needed a bit (from where the power lead goes from the battery to the fuse holder in the engine bay. Ive got an A3 and ive put the fuse holder on top of the battery cover so its not really much.

The reason is i was just a bit worried incase something were to happen to that part of the power cable causing a short circuit leaing to a fire!!! This would obviously protect it. I assume there is no way a short circuit somewhere else (past the fuse) would be nothing to worry about as the fuse would simply blow...?

Ive seen like a rubber grommet people some people have put over the lead so if anybody knows where i can get that it would be good.

Thanks.

I can send you some if you PM me your address. It's just plastic trunking, I got a load free with some wiring kits.

Thanks for the offer Andy. Im going to my local Car Audio shop to collect some fuses on Friday, if they dont have the trunking i will PM you my details. Once again thanks for the offer dude, very kind of you. Hopefully they have some in the shop.

Do you always use it to cover the wire between your battery and your fuse for extra safety? Im not sure why im suddenly so worried but i want to make sure its safe. I assume you dont use it for the rest of the power wire in the engine bay because the fuse is there for protection?

Also ive noticed there is a lot of plastic in my engine bay so im assuming the chances of such a thing happening are very low? Anyways i will be posing a pic of power wire comming out of the battery terminal tomorrow just to confirm everything is good :)

Nope never use it. I either use the spare fuse on top of the battery, if it's there, otherwise the unprotected part of the cable is trunked off the battery anyway, so I can't think of any scenario where it would be in danger of getting sliced in two and shorting out. For that to hapen you'd have to have had a fairly major incident which some feeble plastic trunking is unlikely to protect against and a battery metdown would be the least of your problems, but you can never be too careful I guess.
It's usually only used for routing skinny wires through doors where there's movement and wear & tear.