Courtesy car

royalsteve68

Reaction score
My car is going in for a repair on Tuesday. I'm going via sytnerdrive and Albany assist rather than the useless audi ensurance for the hire car

Sytnerdrive and Albany assist have stated many times I'll get a like for like car

despite me stating I drive an s3 they are giving me an a3 the 150... nowhere near the same. Disappointing and so far reluctantly accepted but I said I'll speak to sytnerdrive on Monday

Is the right or am I being unreasonable as I class it isn't a class a car

Its like for like from my reckoning means a car of the same size / category (e.g premium hatchback). They don't have S3s just sat about waiting to offer for hire cars, so to be honest I think you've done ok

Reactions: s31jay
It will make you appreciate the s3 even more.

You're not being unreasonable if they haven't got a like for like replacement they should give you an upgrade,tell them there are plenty of other companies that would supply like for like, Accident Exchange who I've used in the past were excellent.

Its like for like from my reckoning means a car of the same size / category (e.g premium hatchback). They don't have S3s just sat about waiting to offer for hire cars, so to be honest I think you've done ok

Fair enough but a £25K car isn't a £41K car (mine)

Reactions: s31jay and rams_s3
I got a a5 cab s line, 3.0tdi Quattro when my s3 went in!

Depends what they have in the pool, but as S3's are rare /new you'd be better pitching for a bigger model than trying to get an S3 as they're likely to be in limited supply.

I had a sensor fault on my A1 and was given an A6 S-Line 3.0TDI Quattro. I thought they were similar in size and spec ;) only problem was it cost me £60 in diesel for the 48 hours I had it. Stupid heavy foot.

I had a sensor fault on my A1 and was given an A6 S-Line 3.0TDI Quattro. I thought they were similar in size and spec ;) only problem was it cost me £60 in diesel for the 48 hours I had it. Stupid heavy foot.

And the fact your only supposed to do 100 miles a day in them, did they charge you?

I think you've got the same category car, premium compact or hatch.

After all, the S3 is just an A3 with a few go faster bits bolted on. :)

I was after an r8, lol just kidding:w00t:

I am ok with the a3 diesel turbo but ill see if I can get something better - don't ask don't get - id be happy with a TT

Otherwise Ill have to put up with the slow car for 10 days

I disagree, it's an A3 with a proper engine.

sorry RoyalSteve, you posted at the same time as me and we got confused lol, i've edited my post to include veeeight's, lol.

I disagree, it's an A3 with a proper engine.

yeh the s3 goes like s**t for a mere hatchback whereas the diesel trundles along. ill have to find some cord trousers and a hideous old man check shirt and take up new hobbies such as stamp collecting or bird watching (feathered type)

Reactions: Battlekrapz
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone noticed how courtesy cars seem to have got worse recently?? Have been having an intermittent rattle in my dash so my car has been in/out of the dealers a few times in the last month or so. Normally I used to enjoy getting a courtesy car, as it was a chance to try something else for a bit while mine was getting fixed... Now though it seems like they always try and provide low powered diesels if they can get away with it. I've had a TTS and a A5 cabriolet in the past, recently its been a run of A1s, A6's A4's all with low power engines with a petrol Q3 joker in the pack.

Thought I'd ask this time to see if I could score an S3 or similar (would consider changing to one after my current is paid off), but told that all the sales guys have the S3's/RS4s etc, and refuse to lend them out to customers etc. Whilst I could see the logic to an extent (i.e. 80K+ RS6 as a courtesy car - Really), I think its a shame as the service guy commented that they are probably loosing a lot of sales as some people go back to buy a car, after having driven it for a day or two as a courtesy car (rather than the limited/controlled test drive)..

It could be worse buddy, least you don't have to use 'shank's pony'! :D:D:D

True.. i had a daewoo matiz when my old car was in for some bodyshop work. I didnt fit on the seat properly and a mobile washing machine would probably have better acceleration.

When my brand new S3 went into the bodyshop a few weeks ago I was given a convertible BMW 320d, apparently this was an "upgrade"!

I once had a Fiat Panda as a courtesy car so shut your traps and count your blessings :meeting:

Reactions: Bristle Hound
lol I had a 1.0 Corsa years back, as I went around a roundabout I thought the wheels had fallen off! it leaned over that much :eek:

in the end my car went in for a month due to incompetence of sytnerdrive which is run by Albany assist. 13 days my car was sat in a repairer whilst nothing was done was everyone sat there not communicating

I did get a better hire car though, 1st car was a Mercedes cls which was a piece of junk - absolutely hated it - old style slow gearbox, very long, cramped inside and felt dated, slow as well

I swapped this a day later for an audi 3.0tdi sportback - dull to drive but better than the merc - slow as well but

They'll give you what ever is available from their pool of cars. That can range from an A1 to, usually, an A4, as I saw from the list my dealership had when my car was in for some warranty work. I ended up with a A4 S-Line Saloon with a 2.0l oil burner. Needless to say, compared to my A3, it wasn't very good and the engine was one of the worst bits..

Audi do let themselves down on the old courtesy car front. So far in 3 years of Audi ownership I've had a couple of A1 Sports, Q3 S line with every option ticked, a very tired A4 Avant with that crappy Multi-tronic gearbox and a rather pants TT cabriolet.

Now Mercedes do it properly - I ran the old shape A-class for two years a while back and it was literally the cheapest car Mercedes made. But, every-time it went in for a service I got some fabulous cars - E400 cab, S Class, M-Class to name but a few - all top of the range with every option box ticked. That's more like it!

Atleast you got the same car, so thats not bad.

A friend had some repairs done on his A6 and the came with the courtesy car, it was a VW Polo (Audi + VW dealers in the area here are combined). She politely diclaned, asked what the h*ll was wrong with them and demanded a different car. She got a top spec A4 instead.

So far I've had a couple of A4s (don't really like them), an A3 Saloon, a Q3 and an A6 3.0 TDI Multitronic.

Personally I don't really care what courtesy car I get as long as it's clean and not falling apart.

Would prefer to have a car than wait ~2 weeks for an appointment due to 'new' courtesy car availability.

John.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and A3Kent
I was given a 1.2 tfsi sport which was a service car as mine was delayed.

With insurance cars are mainly grouped on engine size then age/size and having a rating system called GTA.

An a3 is a small premium so could get an 1/3 series, c class, Volvo v40 etc. depending on the insurance company you may get an a6, 5 series if you have an s3.

If your first party (at fault) unless you have hire car plus you'll most likely get an aygo etc unless you opt to upgrade out of your own pocket. Only last week I watched the owner of a lotus evora that reversed into his gate post drive away in a pug 107.

Audi do let themselves down on the old courtesy car front. So far in 3 years of Audi ownership I've had a couple of A1 Sports, Q3 S line with every option ticked, a very tired A4 Avant with that crappy Multi-tronic gearbox and a rather pants TT cabriolet.

Now Mercedes do it properly - I ran the old shape A-class for two years a while back and it was literally the cheapest car Mercedes made. But, every-time it went in for a service I got some fabulous cars - E400 cab, S Class, M-Class to name but a few - all top of the range with every option box ticked. That's more like it!
You want try a Ford courtesy car, usually a Ka with the name of the dealership plastered all over it....

With my dealers they ask what type of car you would prefer and they store it on your profile.
I've got large auto on mine and have always got at least an A4, usually end up with an A6.
If there are no large cars available in the service department, they will get one of the sales fleets cars which are inevitably always better.
That said the last few visits I've just waited while work has been carried out. How on earth do you think I ended up buying a S3, I was supposed to be just passing the time chatting to my sales guy!

It's not always the case. My father-in-law took his SL AMG in for a service and was given a Smart car! He was far from impressed and never used that dealer again for service or sales.

I've generally got an A4 or A6 as a courtesy car which isn't too bad but they're always diesels, however I did once get an A5 2.0T quattro which was fun for the day. When I was taking the A6 in for service I didn't mind getting a smaller more "chuckable" car as the A6 is a bit of a barge.

ive had a A4 2.0tdi avant all road 1.4 s-tronic/1.6 tdi A3 sline hatch 2.0 tdi quattro sport TT A3 saloon sport 1.4 COD s-tronic they usally have some nice optional extras B&O bose sat nav keyless reversing camera i enjoy a game of loan car roulette

My best has been an A5 2.0T quattro, had numerous A4s and A3s too. A1 once, not a great car really.

Friend of mine has a cayman, they gave him a 911 courtesy car. Porsche seem a bit better at trying to get people to trade up it seems!

I specifically requested an automatic car when mine was in for its service. I was given an A6 3.0 TDI multitronic which was nice to drive for the day. Was very nice to have the power over a 1.6 TDI A3 Sportback. :)

I had exactly that once - A6 3.0TDI Multitronic. Couldn't get on with it at all. Hated the auto gearbox, and didn't seem that much more powerful than my 2.0 TDI. I'm sure it was on paper but just didn't feel that great to drive to me.

Mine is due a service fairly soon, wonder what I'll get. I'm expecting it to be slower than my S3 though. :/