Courtesy car insurance

Chris128

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My A3 has got a fair few problems and the dealer I bought it from has finally agreed to take it in for a week (or however long it takes) and sort it all out. So they are going to give me a courtesy car while they do that, but I just rang my insurance company to ask if I needed to do anything about getting insured on the courtesy car and they said I can have up to 30 days on another car but "there is a premium to pay" ... There is no way I am paying for it as the dealership are repairing the car under the 1 month warranty that they gave the car when I bought it a few weeks ago, but I just wondered if this is normal or if the dealers normally have some kind of insurance that covers you on a courtesy car or something? What have you guys done with regards to insurance when you have had a courtesy car?

Cheers
Chris

Dealers usually insure the courtesy car for you mate. Best give them a call and check though.....some charge a nominal fee per day for this, others are free.

Ah ok cool, thats what I was hoping :) thanks, I'll speak to them about it (I think they are getting sick of me ringing them now but thats tough!)

My local Audi have started charging for each day that you have it to cover this for you

My Audi dealer does not charge any insurance for the use of a courtesy car but the excess on the policy is much higher than I have on my own policy so I always cover it on my own policy.

My policy automatically covers a motor traders car loaned to me whilst they have my car in for service or repair.

Last edited:
My dealer charges too, £6 a day I think for them to sort it or do it yourself and face the cost your insurer will charge. At least you have a choice.

Skoda and Suzuki dealers i've used in the past were both free though, typical Audi!

As with all courtesy cars, make sure you test how fast it goes in reverse!:)

Free at mine £500 excess i think..

AFAIK Audi UK insist dealers must provide courtesy car fully insured free of charge when they take your car in for service/repairs etc. However the insurance policy's covering them depend on the dealer and the excesses differe between them. The charges they try to lay on you is called collision damage waiver which basically either eliminates or reduces your excess but in my mind i don't believe the policy's actually allow this. Dealers do it to gain more cash for themselves however if the customer has a damage claim then they will put the excess instead of the customer if the CDW is paid!

This is my view from inside knowledge!! ;)

Usually its free but beware the excess. I curbed an alloy and lost £500 excess. They lost me as a customer......

Usually its free but beware the excess. I curbed an alloy and lost £500 excess. They lost me as a customer......

haha thats a bit harsh, I'll have to have a look and see what they try put the excess as. Thanks for the info guys - looks like doing it through the dealer is gonna be better than through my insurance company anyway

As others have said the excess level can be quite high, which is why I always cover any courtesy car on my own insurance. In my case my insurance covers the use of the dealers car automaticly and at no cost so it may well be worth checking to see if your insurer does the same or what they would the charge to do so.

Better than having a large excess, unless of course you have a large excess on your own isurance. Mine is only £200.

As others have said the excess level can be quite high, which is why I always cover any courtesy car on my own insurance. In my case my insurance covers the use of the dealers car automaticly and at no cost so it may well be worth checking to see if your insurer does the same or what they would the charge to do so.

Better than having a large excess, unless of course you have a large excess on your own isurance. Mine is only £200.

I did check with my insurers and I dont have that feature unfortunately. My excess at the moment is about £350 I think (I'm only just 21 so insurers do like to rip me off...)

My policy automatically covers a motor traders car loaned to me whilst they have my car in for service or repair.

Mine also covers this - do you know if you need to inform them or if you're automatically covered?

The full £500 for an alloy??? ****** hell! When my car was in 4-5 times for respray they didn't even check the courtesy car when I dropped it off! I had £1000 excess and didn't cost me anything. Tbf the excess isn't a whole lot more than mine anyway.

Last edited:
Mine also covers this - do you know if you need to inform them or if you're automatically covered?

Some companies in the past have required notification, but their policies did not specifically state that I could use a dealers courtesy car but were happy to transfer my cover to the dealers car for the day.

My present company does not required me to notify them.