couple of mech questions

frazgsi

Reaction score
Instead of posting different threads heres 2 questions/issues im having with a 2000 a4 2.8Q

First is the gearbox is crunching when down changing to second gear at anything over 20mph.
It happens sometimes when going from 1st to 2nd also but if you are gentle and do the change slowly then it engages fine on this upshift (most of the time). On a fast run at high revs I get a slight crunch going from 2nd to 3rd also but nothing near the noise that 2nd gear is causing.
The car has done 104k miles, the clutch seems fine with no slip although the biting point is a bit high I must say. Is the syncro gone do you think??

Second is what brake upgrade is available for my model? Will RS4 discs/calipers fit my model etc etc.

what miles has the car done? has the gearbox oil ever been changed?

rs4/s4 brakes can be fitted but you would need to change the uprights.
I have a set of s4 front uprights and front brakes im not planning on using on my car

the car has done 104k miles, unsure about gearbox oil but rear diff was done in 2012 , im hoping the gearbox was done then also.

so do I need the s4 uprights to go with the brakes??

I would go to audi and buy the right gearbox oil for it and try that before spending any money on it.
It could be a worn synchromesh im not sure if thats a common issue on the 2.8 quattro box or not.

Ive done a bit of searching on the tinternet and I think its a common issue across the board on alot of models

I know some of the vag boxes are made of chocolate but I wasn't sure about the quattro boxes. My 1.9tdi quattro is on 197k and the box is fine touch wood.

I did have to get the gearbox rebuilt on the wife's old 1.4tdi polo but then I've heard that if you buy a polo 6n2 the first thing you do is find a spare gearbox

must be my clutch then, or maybe just linkage hopefully.

Sorry to say I think its the box.I have used Molyslip to improve this on a Bora with 18ok and it was acceptable until I swopped for another with a good box and clearly it wasn't right.Maybe it had a bad life with a previous owner;some can be rather brutal with their changes

Sorry to say I think its the box.I have used Molyslip to improve this on a Bora with 18ok and it was acceptable until I swopped for another with a good box and clearly it wasn't right.Maybe it had a bad life with a previous owner;some can be rather brutal with their changes

the boxes on the golf's, polo's and boras have never been known for there strong points.
my mates mk3 gti went through 2 gearboxes and my brothers went through 1 as well.
now my mate Rick I wasn't surprised to be honest as he drove it like he had just stole it but my brother was sensible with his.

well guys ive had the gearbox oil changed and it has made a ton of difference. I still think the clutch could do with being done also as its hitting the 105k miles mark and i assume its still the original clutch but its certainly bearable for now at least