Council Tax

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
What a great start to 2008 for our financial prospects. Already paying through the roof tax for running our cars, we get stung with an approximate 15% increase on our gas/electric energy bills, now they are talking about a 4% increase on our council tax bill.... how taxing. :faint:

I agree but the trouble is, we are all typically british about it all.
We all moan our tits off about the cost of this and the cost of that, but we never do anything about it.
Its only gonna get worst, thats the scary thing.:gun2:

cal1470 said:
I agree but the trouble is, we are all typically british about it all.
We all moan our tits off about the cost of this and the cost of that, but we never do anything about it.

Hear hear, the Spaniards, French and Italians would be rioting in the streets.

Should bring back the poll tax so that everyone over 18 who enjoys the marvellous services provided by the council contributes.

jojo said:
What a great start to 2008 for our financial prospects. Already paying through the roof tax for running our cars, we get stung with an approximate 15% increase on our gas/electric energy bills, now they are talking about a 4% increase on our council tax bill.... how taxing. :faint:

Dont you get a discount if you live alone?

Would be a good reason to pack the wife and kids off to the mother-in-laws for shall we say hmmm eternity.

(not that I have a wife, kids, house, council tax bill...)

It will get worse, I am single and cant afford to get a house. Going looking for an older woman on Saturday night, hopefully a divorcee. I am not joking either!

Bong Water said:
It will get worse, I am single and cant afford to get a house. Going looking for an older woman on Saturday night, hopefully a divorcee. I am not joking either!

Older the berry, sweeter the juice...

(so Ive been informed)

Ha ha I would love to know what I actually get for the £1K or so I have to pay every year for my council tax, cos all thye seem to be doing is cutting the services - not improving them - ie bin collection !

Richard

I had to laugh when I heard the average English council tax bill would rise to £1300 a year.
I ****** wish I had that problem.
I'm double that, easy.

£2100 a year here going up by 4% from april f--kin rip off, bin collection once fortnight and potholes galore, nice council offices though.

It's shocking how the people of Britain are made to pay through the nose for everything. I mean, what do we actually get a good deal on?

Did anyone hear what's likely to happen to rates in Wales?

Rob.

The whole system stinks, I am forced to pay £204 a month to have a fortnightly bin change, and there is sod all i can do about it!!

same reason that fuel prices go up all the time, coz the government has us over a barrel.

Its about time the peasants started a revolt :eyebrows:

Easy... it gets wasted. I saw an article the other day about public spending, and the fact that a lot of local authorities get absoultely creamed by private sector contractors.

If only the councils had the guts to turn round and tell these companies to stop taking the mick. Then we might not need so many fecking rise in tax.

bowfer said:
Hear hear, the Spaniards, French and Italians would be rioting in the streets.
well dunno about the french.. Think they'd just block the ports although they have got a history of chopping heads off thinking.....:hubbahubba:

Simple solution to cutting your council tax bills is live in a smaller house!!!!! The council tax system is based on house prices from 1991 so not really relevant with todays housing market in many cases!! The trick to beating council tax though if you want to have a big house is to find a smaller house & build an extension, total price often less than what you would pay on an equivalent sized house in the 1st place! That way your only paying the council tax on the original house at its 1991 valuation!! I bought a good sized 2-bed semi 5 years ago and converted it to a 3-bed last year simply by changing the internal walls about upstairs. The house is only a band b, yet to buy a similar sized 3-bed in the same area would make it a c-d banded property!

One thing to point out on the council tax front is that its not solely the councils fault for the rises. My other half works for my local council in their finance dept and she gave me a good example why there's a rise. The government has a scheme giving "people of a senior age" free bus travel, which has to be negotiated between the local councils & the bus operators to agree on a contract price. The government contribution for the scheme dosent cover the actual costs of running the scheme so the council has to find the extra cash from somewhere. Basically its the goverments fault for imposing a good idea but then not actually coughing up the cash for it themselves! You've also got the goverment insisting asylum seekers are housed, which the councils have to pay for. The list goes on and on really!!

In my opinion I think we should be able to pay the council tax from our gross pay, thus avoiding having to pay income tax upon the money we hand over to pay the council tax! Someone paying £1500 council tax would save about £330 per year this way.

Really poll tax was the fairest system, why should it matter if you live in a 2, 3 ,4 or 5 bed house ???? If there are only 2 of you in it you only produce two ppls waste for the bin men.

Main service most ppl see is the bins being emptied, and the roads getting ruined.

Bring back poll Tax !!!!!!!!!!!!!

bowfer said:
I had to laugh when I heard the average English council tax bill would rise to £1300 a year.
I ****** wish I had that problem.
I'm double that, easy.

Bowf,

English council Tax doesn't include water and sewage like ours, so add these on and there's not a lot in it.

Nickynibbles said:
In my opinion I think we should be able to pay the council tax from our gross pay, thus avoiding having to pay income tax upon the money we hand over to pay the council tax! Someone paying £1500 council tax would save about £330 per year this way.

Good idea but they like us to pay twice :mad: :mad: My wife also works for the local council and you wouldn't believe the ammount of people there with well paid jobs that do nothing or very little :mad: :mad: :mad:

If they were a company they would be bust before they started:)

good god some of you pay a shed load in council tax. I'm not going to complain too much as mine was "only" £1630 last year.

Japper: I'm on metered water and I only pay £20 a month...

J.

As we (just about) live in a democracy the best solution is to vote for a Political Party that has a policy closest to what you would like to see happen, and not just on Council Tax..............

fingermouse said:
Really poll tax was the fairest system, why should it matter if you live in a 2, 3 ,4 or 5 bed house ???? If there are only 2 of you in it you only produce two ppls waste for the bin men.

Main service most ppl see is the bins being emptied, and the roads getting ruined.

Bring back poll Tax !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said the same thing in an earlier post fingermouse, would just like to add why should the OAP in living in a 4 bed house pay more than 3 working people ie mum dad and twenty something lad living in a 2 bed house. They use more services have more income and pay less council tax something very wrong there.

Nickynibbles said:
Simple solution to cutting your council tax bills is live in a smaller house!!!!! The council tax system is based on house prices from 1991 so not really relevant with todays housing market in many cases!! The trick to beating council tax though if you want to have a big house is to find a smaller house & build an extension, total price often less than what you would pay on an equivalent sized house in the 1st place! That way your only paying the council tax on the original house at its 1991 valuation!! I bought a good sized 2-bed semi 5 years ago and converted it to a 3-bed last year simply by changing the internal walls about upstairs. The house is only a band b, yet to buy a similar sized 3-bed in the same area would make it a c-d banded property!

One thing to point out on the council tax front is that its not solely the councils fault for the rises. My other half works for my local council in their finance dept and she gave me a good example why there's a rise. The government has a scheme giving "people of a senior age" free bus travel, which has to be negotiated between the local councils & the bus operators to agree on a contract price. The government contribution for the scheme dosent cover the actual costs of running the scheme so the council has to find the extra cash from somewhere. Basically its the goverments fault for imposing a good idea but then not actually coughing up the cash for it themselves! You've also got the goverment insisting asylum seekers are housed, which the councils have to pay for. The list goes on and on really!!

Would be a good idea if we could buy our Audis from our Gross PAy too. Not sure on your views on Local Council's they are all different. Ours is just crap. First class train fares for big bosses, 200K 'obylisks' in Town centre, yet roads full of potholes. ****** Tories!¬

I have first hand experience of witnessing councils tipping our hard earned cash down the drain

I worked for a firm that sold training material some years back, and at the end of the financial year we would get phone calls from local authorities, asking for, in one instance "£10000 worth of material,", purely to make sure their allocated budget was used up, coz if they didnt, the following years' budget would be reduced !!!!

Imagine that going on in education authorities, hospital trusts, councils etc etc throughout the country, and it kinda makes sense that our tax always seems to increase, but nothing ever seems to improve.

rant over :keule: