Facelift Cost of ownership; 1.5TFSI vs. 2.0TDI & 2.0TFSI quattro vs. S3

DrEskimo

Reaction score
First yes...I know this is really sad, but I am a sad git so just ignore if you hate numbers....

Did a quick calculation in another thread comparing the cost of the 2.0TDI with the 1.5TFSI to see whether at 10k miles, the diesel actually gives you better economy despite the higher starting price and more expensive fuel.

Got me thinking about the depreciation and fuel costs of the other engines, so I did a quick calculation.

I've looked at the 1.5TFSI (S-Tronic, S-Line), 2.0TDI (S-Tronic, S-Line), 2.0TFSI (S-Tronic, S-Line, quattro) and S3 (standard).

Was interested in whether the 2.0TDI or 2.0TFSI quattro are actually economically better than the 1.5TFSI and S3 over 48months.

I got the price from the Audi finance calculator and assuming 10k miles per year, looked at the GFV at 18-48months.

I assumed 30MPG for the S3, 35MPG for the 2.0TFSI, 40MPG for the 1.5TFSI and 50MPG for the 2.0TDI. The actual MPG is irrelevant, its the difference between the engines I am looking at in terms of increased fuel use. I think these average differences are fair? The NEDC values indicates a 6.3MPG difference between the 1.5TFSI and 2.0TDI, and just 4.4MPG between the 2.0TFSI and S3, so overestimation for the diesel potentially, but we'll go with these numbers anyway....I assumed £1.18 for petrol and £1.20 for diesel, so about a 2p difference per litre.

First graph shows that the depreciation costs is lowest for the 1.5 and highest for the 2.0TFSI. Expressed as a proportion of the RRP, the S3 fairs the best retaining 47% of its value by 48m, and the 2.0TFSI fairs the worst at 41% of its value at 48m.

However, once you factor in the fuel costs (second graph), there is very little difference between the 1.5TFSI and 2.0TDI. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the heavy depreciation of the 2.0TFSI means that the relatively small gains in fuel costs do not make it a much more cost effective option compared to the S3, and it isn't until 48m until you start seeing any meaningful cost savings. Given the massive difference in performance, it would seem the S3 provides better value.

Basically, I conclude that if you do 10k miles per year, the 1.5TFSI is the best option for economy over a 2.0TDI, and if you want more performance, the S3 is the better option over the 2.0TFSI quattro. The 2.0TDI likely sees better economy at mileage over 20k.

Of course there are other costs like insurance and servicing. Given the large variation in insurance premiums, this wouldn't be possible to factor in, so you will have to calculate that individually (or rather, the average difference if I could get that statistic would likely be quite meaningless due to the large variation). Servicing is a relatively small cost difference, so didn't seem worth adding in either...? Happy to be corrected on that.

I doubt there are any differences between a 1.5TFSI and 2.0TDI, so its more relevant for the 2.0TFSI quattro vs. S3. I know for me, insurance is very similar and I doubt service cost differ that much. Even at 48months, the cost difference between the 2.0TFSI and S3 is only £900 over 4yrs, so unless insurance premiums are much higher, the 2.0TFSI quattro makes little sense economically speaking.

Of course this is purely an economical argument. There may be other reasons to go for your particular model, which is purely personal preference, but I have heard on a few occasions about the 2.0TDI being chosen over a 1.5TFSI and a 2.0TFSI quattro being chosen over a S3 for reduced running costs, and hopefully this helps highlight the true costs ownership.

Attachments

• Graph.pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 556
  • Graph2.pdf
    20.5 KB · Views: 406
Reactions: DaytonaS3, Brumbrum1, Audi Bairn and 4 others
Well, the 2.0TFSI quattro and S3 should differ in fuel economy by roughly 10%, give or take.

I have owned the 2.0TFSI quattro (220hp version in North America) for almost 4 years, and the gas consumption has been in very good agreement with the one stated on the government sticker, so I do quite trust that number. The S3 consumption, according to the government sticker is about 10% worse. I think it makes sense as the S3 is about 100 lbs heavier and the engine has to work harder to pump out the extra power.

Did you factor in all the extra miles in the 2.0 TDI to clear the DPF warning light, the heavy use of the accelerator in the S3 because it puts a smile on your face or the light use of throttle and feathering technique that typical 1.5 COD owners use to see just how much they can squeeze out of a gallon?
The only engine that really makes no sense in the range is the 2.0 TFSI - that's why they will be a bargain to buy at three years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and DrEskimo
Did you factor in all the extra miles in the 2.0 TDI to clear the DPF warning light, the heavy use of the accelerator in the S3 because it puts a smile on your face or the light use of throttle and feathering technique that typical 1.5 COD owners use to see just how much they can squeeze out of a gallon?
The only model/engine that really makes no sense in the range is the 2.0 TFSI - that's why they will be a bargain to buy at three years old.

Ha no....far too contentious for me to factor that in as well... :p

Yea the 2.0TFSI is an odd one. But then you can see that with the 1.8TFSI on the used market. They book at roughly the same price, or only £1k more, as the 1.4TFSI, yet obviously they were much higher RRP brand new....close to the cost of a S3.

I haven't factored in discounts, but think that is pretty similar across the engine range too?

Well, the 2.0TFSI quattro and S3 should differ in fuel economy by roughly 10%, give or tak

Assumed 30MPG for the S3 and 35MPG for the 2.0TFSI quattro. That's UK MPG. About a 16% improvement for the 2.0TFSI, so again, like the 2.0TDI fuel savings might be overestimated here, the same can probably be said for the 2.0TFSI....

Did you factor in all the extra miles in the 2.0 TDI to clear the DPF warning light.
The only engine that really makes no sense in the range is the 2.0 TFSI - that's why they will be a bargain to buy at three years old.
I know the first comment is tongue in cheek but in over 70k miles between my current & last diesel I've never seen a DPF warning light once, aware of a regen happening yes. (Obviously I've made the right choice of car for my usage.) Now touching wood for the commute home lol.

I've always thought the 2.0 petrol is the choice of the private buyer & the 1.8 petrol as being a repmobile choice possibly better tax incentives for the slightly smaller engine making it the prefered option?. That's purely a personal opinion & has no basis in solid fact. :)

Could you do the same for the 1.0tfsi?

I average just over 50mpg, suggest 45mpg for your calls.

I know the first comment is tongue in cheek but in over 70k miles between my current & last diesel I've never seen a DPF warning light once, aware of a regen happening yes. (Obviously I've made the right choice of car for my usage.) Now touching wood for the commute home lol.

I've always thought the 2.0 petrol is the choice of the private buyer & the 1.8 petrol as being a repmobile choice possibly better tax incentives for the slightly smaller engine making it the prefered option?. That's purely a personal opinion & has no basis in solid fact. :)

It was all tongue in cheek.
Most of the engines have their place in the market and make sensible choices for different reasons. The market for diesels satisfies regular long motorway journeys and high annual miles where the DPF should never block.Why would someone buy a diesel if all they did was drive 5000 miles a year, mostly to the shops and back?
I'd have mentioned the 1.0 TFSI SE - specially designed for real tight wads that just want the cheapest A3 possible, don't mind uncomfortable seats, mediocre performance or holding a plastic steering wheel (It does just the same job of getting from A to B after all). But how that engine will fare after 70k miles of dragging an A3 around (if it's anything like the Ford ecoboost for long term reliability) is anyone's guess.
But I wouldn't want to be too contentious.:p

Reactions: Audi Bairn and richinsoton
Driver "enjoyment" and things like the steering wheel material will be irrelevant soon with "driverless" cars :chuncky:

Sure....just give me time to catch up on all the actual work I didn't due to ******* about with making pointless graphs for an Audi forum....:p

Assumed 30MPG for the S3 and 35MPG for the 2.0TFSI quattro. That's UK MPG. About a 16% improvement for the 2.0TFSI, so again, like the 2.0TDI fuel savings might be overestimated here, the same can probably be said for the 2.0TFSI....

It makes sense as the North American 2.0TFSI Quattro (220 hp) is the older, but more powerful version, so its consumption should be between the S3 and the newer UK 2.0TFSI engine.

Driver "enjoyment" and things like the steering wheel material will be irrelevant soon with "driverless" cars :chuncky:

If by "soon" you mean in the next 25 years, then I would't worry. By the time we all have to wait for the next levitated pod on super-cooled magnets to pass our street end to collect us to actually travel anywhere ... We'll be long gone.
I'll enjoy pumping my share of petroleum distillate into a boosted two litres and the feel of a nice stitched leather steering wheel while I can.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, richinsoton and paul wev

There you go mate.

Depreciation in terms of proportion of its RRP is above all other model A3’s at 44% of its value after 4yrs. His coupled with the lower fuel bill make it the cheapest option at about £900 cheaper over the 48m.

Added the RS3 in for giggles too. Since the RS3 is not discounted, while the others can achieve 12% discount, I have adjusted the figures to reflect to make it a realistic comparison.

The RS3 was the best in terms of depreciation at 51% after 4yrs, but the adjusted discounted rate for the S3 make it the best value at 54% after 4years.

The adjusted cost including discounts show the RS3 is a £9,000 more after 4yrs....

At 36 months, the average yearly total spent for each car is:

1.0TFSI = £4,500
1.5TFSI = £5,100
2.0TDI = £5,100
2.0TFSI = £6,000
S3 = £5,900
RS3 = £8,900

Obviously this is just fuel and depreciation, so need to factor in insurance, servicing and wear and tear....

Graph5

Reactions: KenL and Matt Titanium
Ermmm 1.6tdi?!! :blink:Of course the disclaimer should also read "based on PCP with GFV". Quite a few of us haven't used this so will have to sell in the second hand market or trade in where there is no GFV which will always be way lower I would have thought. Plus any diesel driver 4yrs from now will completely done for. The choice for me would be the 1.5 for mpg or S3 for higher residuals (but then you would be paying more so it would depend!). I wonder how the intro of a new model impacts depretiation? are there any stats on this? great graphs though mate. good info to know.:salute:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rideen
Nae wonder...... I take a few shandies before logging on in here........ Lol

Reactions: Brumbrum1, Audi Bairn and DrEskimo
Ermmm 1.6tdi?!! :blink:Of course the disclaimer should also read "based on PCP with GFV". Quite a few of us haven't used this so will have to sell in the second hand market or trade in where there is no GFV which will always be way lower I would have thought. Plus any diesel driver 4yrs from now will completely done for. The choice for me would be the 1.5 for mpg or S3 for higher residuals (but then you would be paying more so it would depend!). I wonder how the intro of a new model impacts depretiation? are there any stats on this? great graphs though mate. good info to know.:salute:

Yea true I missed the 1.6TDI. Imagine it will be very similar to the 1.0TFSI though.

This isn’t based on PCP. There is no interest charges. That would add ~£1/3k per year into the yearly estimates depending on the model. The point isn’t the actual cost though. It’s the comparison between models. The interest charges on the 1.0TFSI would be the smallest as it has the lowest value and GFV amount, whereas they would be the largest on the RS3 with the highest value and GFV. Adding this would just increase the difference quite dramatically and make the RS3 even higher. Think it’s about £6k In interest over 48months...

This assumes you pay with cash (with a discount in the later graph) and this is the expected depreciation based on Audi’s predictions. So this would be the cost if you bought with cash and then traded to WBAC for example. The GFV is a fairly decent marker of residual value I think. Audi spend ALOT of time working those out to make the finance work!

The actual cost isn’t really the aim here. It’s the comparative cost between models when you look at fuel and depreciation. You can add or subtract interest or increased sale price across the board, but the difference between models will remain largely the same.

I think the cost of services would be nice, but I don’t have the info. Imagine the A3 models would be relatively similar, slightly higher for S3, and much higher for the RS3, but I’m not sure?

Of course you can add in what you expect insurance costs for each model will be and then you can compare exactly how much each model will cost you (roughly...)

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton and Ormesome
The 2.0 TFSI A3 confuses me and I'm not really sure why you'd ever buy one. It seems to me like its natural place in Audi's line up is as the Audi equivalent of a VW Golf GTI, yet it's not as powerful and doesn't have any particular styling characteristics that set it aside from a bog standard A3?

Reactions: KenL
The 2.0 TFSI A3 confuses me and I'm not really sure why you'd ever buy one. It seems to me like its natural place in Audi's line up is as the Audi equivalent of a VW Golf GTI, yet it's not as powerful and doesn't have any particular styling characteristics that set it aside from a bog standard A3?

A 2-0 tfsi quattro s-line is almost identical to a S3 on the outside ergo

Reactions: Brumbrum1 and Audi Bairn
A 2-0 tfsi quattro s-line is almost identical to a S3 on the outside ergo

Apart from the lack of silver wing mirror caps, quad exhausts and S3 grille?

Reactions: Audi Bairn and KenL

Added the 1.6TDI for completeness. Damn OCD....

I think it takes the crown as the most pointless engine in the lineup....It’s relatively more expensive than the 1.0TFSI that has the same power, and just as expensive as the 1.5TFSI and 2.0TDI in the first 24m, both of which have more power....

Graph

Tried to get some metric of ‘value’ to adjust for the fact that each engine has different outputs, so I divided the cost at each monthly increment by the PS of the engine to get a ‘cost per PS’.

Take from this what you will :)

Graph2

All ears for any other suggestions :)

Reactions: Ormesome, Audi Bairn, KenL and 2 others

I think it takes the crown as the most pointless engine in the lineup....It’s relatively more expensive than the 1.0TFSI that has the same power, and just as expensive as the 1.5TFSI and 2.0TDI in the first 24m, both of which have more power....

View attachment 142456

Tried to get some metric of ‘value’ to adjust for the fact that each engine has different outputs, so I divided the cost at each monthly increment by the PS of the engine to get a ‘cost per PS’.

View attachment 142457

Suggestions..... A wee night oot now and again..... Lol

Reactions: NevMan, Brumbrum1, davc and 4 others
Apart from the lack of silver wing mirror caps, quad exhausts and S3 grille?

Technically..... But only a Anorak could tell them apart and my S3 and a lot of others don't have matt aluminium door mirror covers

A black edition s-line doesn't look any different from my car Barr the 4 exhausts.... Which if they where covered in soot you wouldn't notice them....... As the old saying... goes.... all Audi's look the same........

I might be biased but it seems to me that after 48 months 1.6 TDI has very low depreciation, low running costs and is a great engine to go for if car is staying with you for longer periods of time. Seems the best engine to go for especially if you're doing a lot of miles.

Also, PS isn't everything, torque kinda is, at least for all of us who buy diesels. Maybe a graph of "cost per Nm (ft lb)"? :D

Reactions: richinsoton, rnm37 and DrEskimo
Suggestions..... A wee night oot now and again..... Lol

Haha...I was doing during working hours :p

This is what I do for a living unfortunately...makes a nice change looking at data on cars rather than people dying from heart attacks....

Reactions: NevMan, Pinky1959 and Jassyo06

View attachment 142456

View attachment 142457

How about sq5 tdi?

SQ5

I might be biased but it seems to me that after 48 months 1.6 TDI has very low depreciation, low running costs and is a great engine to go for if car is staying with you for longer periods of time. Seems the best engine to go for especially if you're doing a lot of miles.

Also, PS isn't everything, torque kinda is, at least for all of us who buy diesels. Maybe a graph of "cost per Nm (ft lb)"? :D

Yes the diesels will start to make more sense at higher mileage. This obviously assumes an average of 10k miles per year. If doing more, the difference in fuel costs between petrol and diesel would increase. I think around 20k+ is where you start seeing any significant gains in costs between the petrol and diesels.

Ha knew a diesel owner would bring up torque...:p

I did wonder whether doing seconds from 0-60 to try and encompass 'performance'...?

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rideen
"I did wonder whether doing seconds from 0-60 to try and encompass 'performance'...?"

As the owner of a 1.6TDI, please don't do that... :D

Reactions: richinsoton, Ormesome, Rideen and 2 others
Yes the diesels will start to make more sense at higher mileage. This obviously assumes an average of 10k miles per year. If doing more, the difference in fuel costs between petrol and diesel would increase. I think around 20k+ is where you start seeing any significant gains in costs between the petrol and diesels.

Ha knew a diesel owner would bring up torque...:p

I did wonder whether doing seconds from 0-60 to try and encompass 'performance'...?

Torque is life! :D

"I did wonder whether doing seconds from 0-60 to try and encompass 'performance'...?"

As the owner of a 1.6TDI, please don't do that... :D

Indeed please do not. I am quite sure 1.0 TFSI owners would say the same though. :D

Reactions: KenL, Ormesome and paul wev
Comparing cars purely on cost of ownership is like deciding on which nightclub you want to visit!!!!

A Swedish nightclub will cost you more to get into, but which would you rather be in?

(Child safe viewing)

F the cost guys! have what you want today if you can afford it! It was mentioned a few weeks back that life is too short, well yesterday we found out that my wife's uncle has pancreatic cancer and this could be his last christmas :( he's 60 years young!

Reactions: NevMan, paul wev and Audi Bairn
Comparing cars purely on cost of ownership is like deciding on which nightclub you want to visit!!!!

That wasn't the aim. The aim was to compare similar engine models in terms of price (1.5TFSI vs. 2.0TDI & 2.0TFSI quattro vs. S3) with respect to the overall costs. By and large, the main reason someone will pick a 2.0TFSI quattro over an S3 is for economic reasons. Likely the same with the 2.0TDI vs the 1.5TFSI, but appreciate some people may just prefer diesel/petrol cars. There may be other reasons too, but I'm just focusing on the economics, as it can be quantified.

All too often people focus on things like MPG and VED, and neglect the actual cost to buy and expected depreciation. Just highlighting how important these are to factor into the equation as well, as they can change your conclusions about the model to choose.

Guess I forget VED, but new rules means that all the models, except the RS3 will be £140, while the Rs3 base model is over £40k so will be £550....god the RS3 just gets more and more expensive the more you think about it :sadlike:

Reactions: glospete and Jassyo06
That wasn't the aim. The aim was to compare similar engine models in terms of price (1.5TFSI vs. 2.0TDI & 2.0TFSI quattro vs. S3) with respect to the overall costs. By and large, the main reason someone will pick a 2.0TFSI quattro over an S3 is for economic reasons. Likely the same with the 2.0TDI vs the 1.5TFSI, but appreciate some people may just prefer diesel/petrol cars. There may be other reasons too, but I'm just focusing on the economics, as it can be quantified.

All too often people focus on things like MPG and VED, and neglect the actual cost to buy and expected depreciation. Just highlighting how important these are to factor into the equation as well, as they can change your conclusions about the model to choose.

Guess I forget VED, but new rules means that all the models, except the RS3 will be £140, while the Rs3 base model is over £40k so will be £550....god the RS3 just gets more and more expensive the more you think about it :sadlike:

And it's a sensible analytical way to do it.
I would suspect people's choice of model and engine have more to do with what they actually want, in some cases PCP monthlies, and how they justify to themselves spending the extra for each upgrade, than considering the real cost of ownership over four years.
Audi have been very clever with the facelift A3 in severely limiting options of engine/gearbox/quattro/colour combinations to "encourage" people to move further up the range.
But if the S3 is only costing me £3.50 a day more to own than a 1.6TDI then I'm sold.

Reactions: paul wev
And it's a sensible analytical way to do it.
I would suspect people's choice of model and engine have more to do with what they actually want, in some cases PCP monthlies, and how they justify to themselves spending the extra for each upgrade, than considering the real cost of ownership over four years.
Audi have been very clever with the facelift A3 in severely limiting options of engine/gearbox/quattro/colour combinations to "encourage" people to move further up the range.
But if the S3 is only costing me £3.50 a day more to own than a 1.6TDI then I'm sold.

I agree.

But then that's where the choice between the 2.0TFSI quattro and S3 makes even less sense...on a PCP the S3 is cheaper by about £10 per month...?

I get the difference if using cash to buy new or used, as its likely to be about a £4k difference in the upfront cost, despite the fact that running costs over the subsequent years might be similar.
But in the land of PCP where affordability is defined as "how much of my disposable income can I throw away each month so that I don't feel like I am spending £15k on a car every 3yrs", that barrier of extra capital needed upfront doesn't exist...?

So you would think that the insurance and service costs must be prohibitively more expensive, otherwise you are paying basically the same amount for a slower version of the same car...as I said, I highly doubt servicing is any different as they are both 2.0l capacity engines? I guess if the insurance is around £500 a year more, then maybe, but it still seems like a awful lot more car for just £500 extra a year in insurance premiums? You would think the difference in premiums between the two would reduce over time as well.

Can you spend less on options and get a better spec car on the A3 compared to the S3? Maybe that's one aspect I am ignoring, but I thought they were largely similar in terms of cost?

Most peeps buy S3's and RS3's with there hearts....which is fine....each to their own,l wonder what the average monthly is on the RS3 8V FORUM.......silly......money.....most likely but.....same can be said about holidays my number one passion........2 star...3 star...4 star...5 star...of course......everyone is unique with different priorities and different incomes,but at the end of the day most are just in debt.....to varying degrees

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan
I'm a simple person Doc, so I'll keep it short........

S3, you know you want to :yahoo:

'S' cars are in your blood lol

Reactions: NevMan, davc, josul and 2 others
I'm a simple person Doc, so I'll keep it short........

S3, you know you want to :yahoo:

'S' cars are in your blood lol

Ha....well I test drove an S car the other day.....but it wasn’t an Audi....!

Tesla Model S.....

Those things are unbelievable. Soooo fast, such a lovely place to be in and I drove 10miles down the A5 and didn’t have to do anything. Was bizarre!

Running costs of them are also really interesting. GFV after 4yrs is >50%, which is better than most cars, let alone a car of its class. The guarantee this value whether you use PCP or HP. About £400 a year in electricity....a used 2yr old one makes a very interesting prospect....assuming you have the moolah to get one, the total cost of ownership is less than a new S3 on PCP....

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Ha....well I test drove an S car the other day.....but it wasn’t an Audi....!

Tesla Model S.....

Those things are unbelievable. Soooo fast, such a lovely place to be in and I drove 10miles down the A5 and didn’t have to do anything. Was bizarre!

Running costs of them are also really interesting. GFV after 4yrs is >50%, which is better than most cars, let alone a car of its class. The guarantee this value whether you use PCP or HP. About £400 a year in electricity....a used 2yr old one makes a very interesting prospect....assuming you have the moolah to get one, the total cost of ownership is less than a new S3 on PCP....

Not sure if it's still the case but you were getting grants for buying them which is why our financial advisor got one (now on his second one too).
Some performance.
Not for me though I'm afraid.

Reactions: paul wev and DrEskimo
Don’t know why anyone would want the 1.6tdi in the first place. It’s rough as old boots and vibrates didn’t know that it was still possible to make a Diesel engine sound like that in 2017 and the courtesy car I had was averaging 45mpg - it also had a black box fitted so I wouldn’t of thought it had been ragged around. 38mpg is entirely possible in the A3 2.0tsi 8P we have

First yes...I know this is really sad, but I am a sad git so just ignore if you hate numbers....

Did a quick calculation in another thread comparing the cost of the 2.0TDI with the 1.5TFSI to see whether at 10k miles, the diesel actually gives you better economy despite the higher starting price and more expensive fuel.

Got me thinking about the depreciation and fuel costs of the other engines, so I did a quick calculation.

I've looked at the 1.5TFSI (S-Tronic, S-Line), 2.0TDI (S-Tronic, S-Line), 2.0TFSI (S-Tronic, S-Line, quattro) and S3 (standard).

Was interested in whether the 2.0TDI or 2.0TFSI quattro are actually economically better than the 1.5TFSI and S3 over 48months.

I got the price from the Audi finance calculator and assuming 10k miles per year, looked at the GFV at 18-48months.

I assumed 30MPG for the S3, 35MPG for the 2.0TFSI, 40MPG for the 1.5TFSI and 50MPG for the 2.0TDI. The actual MPG is irrelevant, its the difference between the engines I am looking at in terms of increased fuel use. I think these average differences are fair? The NEDC values indicates a 6.3MPG difference between the 1.5TFSI and 2.0TDI, and just 4.4MPG between the 2.0TFSI and S3, so overestimation for the diesel potentially, but we'll go with these numbers anyway....I assumed £1.18 for petrol and £1.20 for diesel, so about a 2p difference per litre.

First graph shows that the depreciation costs is lowest for the 1.5 and highest for the 2.0TFSI. Expressed as a proportion of the RRP, the S3 fairs the best retaining 47% of its value by 48m, and the 2.0TFSI fairs the worst at 41% of its value at 48m.

However, once you factor in the fuel costs (second graph), there is very little difference between the 1.5TFSI and 2.0TDI. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the heavy depreciation of the 2.0TFSI means that the relatively small gains in fuel costs do not make it a much more cost effective option compared to the S3, and it isn't until 48m until you start seeing any meaningful cost savings. Given the massive difference in performance, it would seem the S3 provides better value.

Basically, I conclude that if you do 10k miles per year, the 1.5TFSI is the best option for economy over a 2.0TDI, and if you want more performance, the S3 is the better option over the 2.0TFSI quattro. The 2.0TDI likely sees better economy at mileage over 20k.

Of course there are other costs like insurance and servicing. Given the large variation in insurance premiums, this wouldn't be possible to factor in, so you will have to calculate that individually (or rather, the average difference if I could get that statistic would likely be quite meaningless due to the large variation). Servicing is a relatively small cost difference, so didn't seem worth adding in either...? Happy to be corrected on that.

I doubt there are any differences between a 1.5TFSI and 2.0TDI, so its more relevant for the 2.0TFSI quattro vs. S3. I know for me, insurance is very similar and I doubt service cost differ that much. Even at 48months, the cost difference between the 2.0TFSI and S3 is only £900 over 4yrs, so unless insurance premiums are much higher, the 2.0TFSI quattro makes little sense economically speaking.

Of course this is purely an economical argument. There may be other reasons to go for your particular model, which is purely personal preference, but I have heard on a few occasions about the 2.0TDI being chosen over a 1.5TFSI and a 2.0TFSI quattro being chosen over a S3 for reduced running costs, and hopefully this helps highlight the true costs ownership.
@DrEskimo - Really ?
I think you need a new car Doc
If this what happens to you when you sell a supercharged Audi, I ain't selling mine !
lol

PS Only pulling yeh chain buddy :D

Reactions: Audi Bairn and DrEskimo