Cost of Maintaining your S3/A3

I

imported_Strider81

How does the s3 cost of running compare to other cars in its league.

Having only owned a 1.4 cl mk3 b4 it is quite a change.

Last month

Road tax - 160
Grill - 38
Tyres - 230
Labour for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif bolt - 100
Brake Pads - 70

Not to mention petrol

I dont even make a total but have all my expenses come at once or am i kidding myself into thinking i can actually afford to run this car?

Strider,

Sounds like you got hit pretty bad last month mate.

A lot of the things you've listed above are "essentials" but they don't normally all arrive at once.

My A3 Oil burner has been absolutely fine, it had it's last service 9 months ago - £400 ish including changing it over to AVS. I've still got 6000 miles to go till the next one (according to the dash)

Since it's service i've only bought some engine oil for it - £35 from halfrauds and replaced a tyre after a puncture £120

oh and diesel of course

I do hope your road tax was £170 not £160, as I've just been sent my renewal, and I need new tyres too... I think unforunately these things to tend to happen all at once, nearly as bad as MOT and Insurance being within 4 weeks of each other.

hey at least you haven't had the £7000 bill from AmD to replaced your engine and turbo... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

i've had my A3 3 months now, £140 on tyres, £180 on tax, £360 on a service, £150 on geometry set up + £350 for a cambelt + normal extras done at the same time... so thats £1200 so far. happy days. don't forget the £700 for the remap on saturday too... at the end of the day, its worth every penny! i love it!

cheers for the votes of confidence - at least im not on my own.

i do love the ess- more than i thought i cud.

lets see how she runs from now.

[ QUOTE ]

hey at least you haven't had the £7000 bill from AmD to replaced your engine and turbo... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did u end up footing the bill for that then?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm having a remap on saturday. that really doesnt fill me with confidence at all... do u blame it on the mods u did to ur car? if so wat did u do? cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

my car hasn't had any mods, it's now far better than ever, but the only mod it'd had before my little engine issue was an AmD diverter valve.

Yep I ended up paying the whole bill AmD didn't charge the labour for replacing the Turbo, but still I think it was 37 hours labour I paid for in the end so I think they maid there money, Audi didn't even foot the bill for the replacement Vavles needs for the head rebuild - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif!!!

looking back, I wish I had either left it at Audi and took the complaint further and not given up, or gone for the Big Turbo and re-bore as it would have cost the same... which I think is the thing I regret the most!

but hey, other than the money I still don't think you can get a better car, only recently realised that the car comes alive when you are going much much to fast around bends, surprises me all the time that it just keeps sticking to the road... does roll too much for my liking in the process though.

I've found it pretty reasonable compared to my old Impreza.
The S3 needs servicing every 17k on the AVS schedule it seems, but i will be changing the oil every 6k. the last service I had was £300 from Audi.
Ok, I've had tyres but you'd have to do them on any car.
Fuel consumption is around 27mpg. Insurance around £450

Compare that to my old scooby. Servicing every 6 months or 7.5k, whichever came sooner. Small service was approx £120, then the larger one varied between £300 - £600 so averaged out around £550 per year.
MPG was around 22 and the insurance around the £550 mark.

I'm loving the Audi but only miss the noise of the scoob.
Oh and I feel snobby in the S, which is better than the chav I felt like in the impreza. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif