Cosmetic repair... I think not.

K55P BK

Instagram: @blvckzxk
Reaction score
Bare with me this is a rather long post.

Bought my RS3 in July from Stockport Audi, was told at the time due to limited numbers of models available and the fact that new orders weren't being taken that any "deals" or "discounts" weren't being offered. That was fine with me because tbf I really wanted the car however I was offered alloy wheel coverand tyre cover free of charge thrown in so to speak, I don't know if this is a widely done thing or not but I thought it was a nice touch.... Well

Last week I curbed an alloy, don't know where don't know how but it happened

Wheel didn't look too damaged but I wanted it fixing. Car care plan sort out the claim and pass it onto a company called flying colours who came out and repaired the wheel. Unbeknownst to be the repair is only cosmetic and rather than re lathing the wheel and then lacquering the wheel to get the diamond cut look they simply filled in the mark and painted in silver.

To me this doesn't even constitute a cosmetic repair as it no longer looks like the other wheels, it looks like a painted alloy, kinda looks like a replica Imo.

I've since contacted care car plan about this issue and have been informed that unless the wheel is beyond cosmetic repair that all repairs are done in the mobile van they send out rather than being taken to site and re-lathed.

My argument is that if that is the case then any diamond cut wheel is beyond cosmetic repair and should be taken to site and done properly as the repair offered is abit naff in my eyes.

I've put my case accross in an email and I'm awaiting a repsonse, I'll update as it progresses, I've put some pictures up so you can see the repair. The first 2 are the repair the other 2 show a true diamond cut finish.

I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks I have a point etc.

Sorry in advance for spelling/grammar never was my strong point.

I would of hit the roof if I had seen that. It's not even a good job, pimpled to hell!!!

I'd be claiming for a new alloy, you've totally been stuffed up there by Audi. I can't wait till we buy another car from Audi, I will show them this post. They are pushy as hell to sell these packages and they've wrapped you up. I hope you get it sorted.

I would of hit the roof if I had seen that. It's not even a good job, pimpled to hell!!!

I'd be claiming for a new alloy, you've totally been stuffed up there by Audi. I can't wait till we buy another car from Audi, I will show them this post. They are pushy as hell to sell these packages and they've wrapped you up. I hope you get it sorted.

I didn't actually buy these this package it was thrown in, but that besides the point like you said the job is terrible and it's no longer even a diamond cut alloy.

My case has been escalated apparently to the management of the repair company so I will keep everyone posted as to the outcome but yes I'm angry to say the least.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Changing the subject, was your car parked at Manchester airport recently?

This is mine not repaired yet as it takes 2-3 days to do "properly" and with no spare it's almost impossible to sort!

s3n11i.jpg

TX.

Yeah I wasn't aware a "proper repair" took 2-3 days or else I wouldn't have let this guy have a go at it in just one... my mistake, lesson learnt.

Mine wasn't even as bad as that but I have a feeling now it's gonna be a hell of a lot harder to fix.

I'm lucky I have a van to use for the repair, can't beat a trusty old van can you ha

Reactions: g5und
This is mine not repaired yet as it takes 2-3 days to do "properly" and with no spare it's almost impossible to sort!

s3n11i.jpg

TX.
Ouch, I don't think my OCD could cope with that!

A diamond cut wheel should only ever be given a full refurb. That's just a joke. Don't accept anything other than a new wheel. Might actually teach the company a lesson regarding diamond cut alloys and ensure the price of the policy for these wheels is changed to reflect the added cost of repair.
If I were you I'd be contacting Audi as well. They are flogging these policies and should know what is being done or not as the case may be.

I really could not have said that better mate, bang on the money.

I've raised a case with the repairer already and I'll be speaking to the dealership manager down at Stockport.

There's no such thing as a "cosmetic" repair when it comes to diamond cut wheels. It's got to be a "full" repair.

Reactions: jimojameso
That's so bad it's actually stunningly bad. Don't let them get away with that. ***, you could have done the same job yourself, with a tin of Dulux.

Reactions: Ollie2014
One way or another I'll be getting it fixed..... let's just say I'm very persistent haha.

I had these jokers when I got my RS3, I had a 2 inch kerb mark about 4 months after owning it. They really messed me around booking it in to the point where I went back to the dealer and left it there and took a loan car till they could be bothered to sort it which resulted in the dealer doing it themselves as a gesture of good will. Second time (terrible driver alert) they came to work and turned up a week earlier than agreed, after the repair the lacquer started to peel after 2/3 weeks. Trying to get them back out was a nightmare, car care plan were great but dealing with the 'technician' and flying colours as a whole was a terrible. Not to mention he forgot to put the locking wheel nut back after he had finished.

Reactions: K55P BK
They sound like a right cowboy outfit these lot....

I expect to hear something Monday and it better be a full refurb or new alloy. I'll be informing the dealership as they can't keep offering this alloy wheel insurance and provide a substandard service. Diamond cut alloys are the norm now on the higher end cars and such the policy should be improved.

No more "cosmetic" repairs. Full refund should be first option.

hold on for a thread resurrection - managed to do my front right offside over Xmas, minor scratch on the silver part of two spokes, very minor, but now now longer "perfect" so it needs fixing. I am not part of any car plan so this is just a request for recommendations. I have used Spit'N polish in Kent on my previous cars before, liked them but I live SW London so that's a pain to get to and fro. Any recommendations? Saw FA Wheels in Hampstead, i like the website, anyone tried them out?

Also in a man maths way, seeing as I needed one doing I was toying with the idea of going from titanium to gloss black on all 4...

Lepsons are great, they also offer a loan car and vehicle storage if you need it, their work is second to none

They sound like a right cowboy outfit these lot....

I expect to hear something Monday and it better be a full refurb or new alloy. I'll be informing the dealership as they can't keep offering this alloy wheel insurance and provide a substandard service. Diamond cut alloys are the norm now on the higher end cars and such the policy should be improved.

No more "cosmetic" repairs. Full refund should be first option.

Did this ever get resolved?

Reactions: Welshy