SQ5 Corrosion recall "product improvement" 2018 SQ5 UK

burnsy79

2018 SQ5 Driver
Reaction score
All,

Was doing a search on the forums for info on this. My 2018 SQ5 has been in for a check up and damn squeaky seats fix. While it's been in, they have identified corrosion, must be near the sills.

Does anyone have any info??

Burnsy

Hi,
Certainly is near the front passenger side on mine
mine is also 2018 and was identified earlier on in the year however the recall had just come out and so there was a wait on the fix/parts.

The fix is essentially rubbing down the corrosion and a paint is applied - mine is getting done on the 22nd so I will update then

Hi,
Certainly is near the front passenger side on mine
mine is also 2018 and was identified earlier on in the year however the recall had just come out and so there was a wait on the fix/parts.

The fix is essentially rubbing down the corrosion and a paint is applied - mine is getting done on the 22nd so I will update then
At least someone else has the issue. Thanks for that. I've booked mine in for 25th at Stirling Audi, will report back also.

2018 car and corrosion? Thought Audi's were galvanised? So much for Vorsprung durik technik (progress through technology).

I too have a 2018 SQ5 and now concerned about corrosion? Do you know where the corrosion has been identified? Is there an official recall for this? Don't have the squeaky seat issue though

I can't remember clearly as it was a few months back when it initially was mentioned but from what I do remember, they pointed it out to be underneath towards the passenger side.
I don't think quite as far as the jacking points but around that area going more towards the front
It does impact Q5s and SQ5s however in that age/build range

Booked our 2018 SQ5 in for MOT for next Wednesday 24th March and they advised of this recall check. Will see what they say and if they have any info.

Booked our 2018 SQ5 in for MOT for next Wednesday 24th March and they advised of this recall check. Will see what they say and if they have any info.
Our 2018 SQ5 was inspected and not affected. Audi did advise prior to the inspection that parts would be required (trim /panel covers) if the car needed any remedial action on this recall and they had done this for some vehicles they had previously inspected.

2018 car and corrosion? Thought Audi's were galvanised? So much for Vorsprung durik technik (progress through technology).

I too have a 2018 SQ5 and now concerned about corrosion? Do you know where the corrosion has been identified? Is there an official recall for this? Don't have the squeaky seat issue though
Hi,

I am picking mine up today from having it fixed. Have to say, they've basically been reading a script to me when asked. I am going to ask exactly where my corrosion was. I'd say give them a call and ask if yours is included in the recall.

Cheers,

Burnsy

I picked up mine the other day following the recall which in my case was affected and the parts were fitted.
Unfortunately due to another issue, I have not had the paperwork yet for it as they'll give it to me together but looking underside, I can't see anything different. I will find out more and report back but I suspect by then, there will be plenty of responses on what /where the fix was.

Out of interest, has anyone checked under the rear bumper where I think the crashbar is? I removed my rear tow-hook covers and noticed a few spots there too.
Need to get it up on a ramp though to check properly.

Booked my 2018 SQ5 with Audi for the corrosion check later this week as mine is included as part of the recall. Will update after the recall is completed.

TBH: this is my first Audi and this will be the 3rd recall its having under warranty. Might be my last Audi as I've never owned a car that's had so many recalls.

Booked my 2018 SQ5 with Audi for the corrosion check later this week as mine is included as part of the recall. Will update after the recall is completed.

TBH: this is my first Audi and this will be the 3rd recall its having under warranty. Might be my last Audi as I've never owned a car that's had so many recalls.
Recalls can be frustrating but equally I think its good we have a manufacturer who is acting on them quickly.
I stumbled across https://www.nerdwallet.com/uk/personal-finance/the-most-recalled-cars-of-2019/ and if the figures are anything to go by, Audi are under average vs others.

I think any car brand will have their fair share of issues and recalls but its how they act on it and not sit on it especially where safety is involved is what matters to me most. Fully appreciate half these parts may not be made or developed by Audi themselves.

From my recalls, I've had the corrosion one along with 64F6 (communication error may occur between front and rear door control units), 66K8 (Wheel Arch could become detached) but I don't class these are hugely major compared to the likes of brake and airbag failures with Toyota for instance.

Anyway thats just my personal opinion :)

Recalls can be frustrating but equally I think its good we have a manufacturer who is acting on them quickly.
I stumbled across https://www.nerdwallet.com/uk/personal-finance/the-most-recalled-cars-of-2019/ and if the figures are anything to go by, Audi are under average vs others.

I think any car brand will have their fair share of issues and recalls but its how they act on it and not sit on it especially where safety is involved is what matters to me most. Fully appreciate half these parts may not be made or developed by Audi themselves.

From my recalls, I've had the corrosion one along with 64F6 (communication error may occur between front and rear door control units), 66K8 (Wheel Arch could become detached) but I don't class these are hugely major compared to the likes of brake and airbag failures with Toyota for instance.

Anyway thats just my personal opinion :)
Yep, mines also had the 64F6 and 66K8 recalls too in addition to replacement brake servo and replacement steering column. Guess I shouldn't grumble as Audi are rectifying the issues at their cost.

Interesting you mention brake servo (and also steering column) - what were the symptoms on both? Reason I ask is mines going in to have the servo replaced due to a "clang" when letting go of it though its being done under warranty as opposed to a recall.

Interesting you mention brake servo (and also steering column) - what were the symptoms on both? Reason I ask is mines going in to have the servo replaced due to a "clang" when letting go of it though its being done under warranty as opposed to a recall.
So brake servo was replaced as when you released the brake pedal you heard a clanging/clicking noise and as for the steering column the noise mine made was like if the steering wheel leather was rubbing against the plastic covers on the steering column.

So the car is back from the local Audi dealer and Audi UK have told all their dealers to apply the corrosion fix (under seal and covers) regardless of if the car is showing signs of corrosion or not, so that’s what they’ve done - mine wasn’t showing any signs of corrosion.

Oh the free health check shows I’ll be needing new front and rear brake pads, mine are at 13mm, minimum thickness is 10mm, quoted £730, think I’ll pass on that one!