Corrosion on dashboard..?

Abrown

Reaction score
I have been away for a few weeks and I can back to this in my dashboard near the gearbox?
I have no idea how this has happened. Anyone experienced anything like this?
You think I would have any chance of Audi sorting this?
3d33c3ab5c7880f5481d6a642d6015f7.jpg
abe24783c3014e79f76c90516067660b.jpg

Cheers.

Something strange like that has happened. Quite annoyed about it :(
I have a feeling Audi will say it's my fault somehow..

it does look like something has been spilt / applied to the surface.

How old is your car?..I'm guessing you are still in the manufacture's warranty?
I think if you go to your dealer there would be a good chance they will honour a repair under warranty...
Don't mention anything at all about what might have caused it ie nail polish remover etc.... or anything that might suggest you are at fault.
just play it 'innocent like'..:friends:

6 months old. The only think I can think it may of been is a scent tree I had round the gear stick.
I feel that they will just think I have used some sort of chemical on the surface and it's my fault.
Let's just see.

Reactions: pburv
Very strange that it's just appeared, has anyone had access to your car whilst you've been away?

6 months old. The only think I can think it may of been is a scent tree I had round the gear stick.
I feel that they will just think I have used some sort of chemical on the surface and it's my fault.
Let's just see.
Like I said act all innocent and don't mention anything about scented tree's etc.Just say you are alarmed how poor the trim is inside your car and ask them in a polite but firm manner as to what they are going to do about it..Nothing ventured nothing gained!
Good luck mate and let us know how you get on...:friends:

Let's just see.

Those scent trees can do a bit of damage like that.

However, like everyone has said, play it innocent :D

Just been looking at the second picture....Has the leather seat got a blemish on it? It looks like something has splashed on that side because you can see splash marks on the seat and the seat grab handle below...Have any of your passengers been drinking coke ect.?:shrug:

As above the air fresheners can eat away at trims.

Some sort of liquid has definitely been in contact with both parts of the consul
Weird though

a magic tree will do that to a painted surface. (happened to me) :grumpy:

I would get that cleaned up, as in a full interior detail, it's clear something has been splashed/spilt, you need to remove any evidence of that, even if you strip the loose flaky surface away. Then get it into Audi and as said above, play innocent with no mention of any foreign substances having been in contact with it and politely ask what they are going to do about it.

Reactions: RO65ERS and pburv
I would get that cleaned up, as in a full interior detail, it's clear something has been splashed/spilt, you need to remove any evidence of that, even if you strip the loose flaky surface away. Then get it into Audi and as said above, play innocent with no mention of any foreign substances having been in contact with it and politely ask what they are going to do about it.

This!

Hate to say this but I can't see Audi stumping up for that, it's clearly a foreign contaminant of some sort and therefore not a fault of the material.

Worth a try I guess, you might catch the dealer in a good mood but I can't see it tbh.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
Seen similar before on another forum / car, I believe it was a leaking liquid air freshener from an air vent above... strange that a tree would do this though as it isn't 'wet' as such

I've claimed for smaller things...

As said, clean it up, take it in, and explain your expectation that while you have no idea what has caused it, whatever it was the interior plastics in a premium brand vehicle such as this should be able to withstand anything that could be reasonably expected to be carried inside of a car. If the cannot, then either they are not suitable for the purpose, or these plastics fall short of the expected Audi quality.

It's interesting to note that the leather gearshift gaiter and seat, organic materials both, are unaffected. Whilst the plastics which will probably outlast human civilisation, are falling to bits.

Reactions: Abrown, Tony1982 and pburv
I've claimed for smaller things...

As said, clean it up, take it in, and explain your expectation that while you have no idea what has caused it, whatever it was the interior plastics in a premium brand vehicle such as this should be able to withstand anything that could be reasonably expected to be carried inside of a car. If the cannot, then either they are not suitable for the purpose, or these plastics fall short of the expected Audi quality.

It's interesting to note that the leather gearshift gaiter and seat, organic materials both, are unaffected. Whilst the plastics which will probably outlast human civilisation, are falling to bits.

You should be a lawyer!

No, I just need to know a lawyer from time to time... ;-)

Anyway, to be a lawyer would require me abandoning logic, common sense, morality, and (if the lawyers I know are anything to go by) the ability to carry out any manual task with a complexity level beyond wiring a 3 pin plug.

I don't think I could survive without the ability to use a screwdriver.

Last edited:
I had a cardboard based air freshener completely knacker the piano black finish on an 8P S3 I once had.
It turned the black wood a milky grey colour in a circle where the air freshener was.
Looked awful. Never did get it sorted.

That looks different though.

I can't quite understand why folks need to use an air freshener anyway. My car doesn't smell of anything.

Reactions: A4B9
Not so sure it's a tree air freshener...............I'm thinking more in terms of some alien activity........................

4783745-acid+blood.gif

Reactions: JohnM100, Whitestar, pburv and 1 other person