CORROSION offside near arch/fender (with pics)

amit87

Reaction score
Hi guys, just noticed this and I am pretty sure it wasnt there 2weeks ago (who knows, bad weather, last time I washed the car was a month ago and it definitely wasnt showing then) but have had the car washed now and its showing. I am assuming the rust was there, it has just spread.

Anyways I have read that Audi give a 12yr corrosion warranty.. anyone had any luck? I have read a few posts and many say it depends if its been a result of a stone chip and this has not, I can still feel the laquer over it. I have attached some pictures to see if you guys think it is worth the hassle of ringing them?

If not, could you guys advise me round about how much a good body shop would charge to sort it out? Or is there anything simple I can do? (Mechanically I am skilled, just my lack of tools let me down, artistically I am poor so painting and sanding is not my thing) Thanks guys

PS my vehicle:

sept 2005 (55 plate) 2.0 TFSI sportback on standard original 17" sport alloys (not s-line)

Attachments

• 2013-04-01-014.jpg
    2013-04-01-014.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 2013-04-01-013.jpg
    2013-04-01-013.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 2013-04-01-012.jpg
    2013-04-01-012.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 2013-04-01-011.jpg
    2013-04-01-011.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 2013-04-01-010.jpg
    2013-04-01-010.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 106
Usually a blow into front doors, across bonnet & the bumper, but some smart repair guy would maybe take it on, as its on the arch it maybe just a localised repair needed, just phone a local smart repair company & ask.

Ye will do, but do you not recommend trying the Audi 12yr corrosion thing first? (Can imagine endless hours on phone will Audi so wanted to know if anyone has succeeded with them with the age of the car). Will have to ring some people while at work tomorrow I guess for quotes. Thanks for the quick reply NHN as per usual :)

Good luck proving it, the time wasted on this could be used for other more useful things, others have had mixed results, check repair costs then decide as it maybe as low as £100 for localised repair, but hey nothing ventured nothing........................

I would give Audi a call i know i certainly will be as i have some how only just noticed lacquer runs on the bonnet of my missus car and paint flaking off with runs on my front bumper from when they replaced it.

Definitely go to Audi and get them to sort it out under the 12 year corrosion warranty. Had the exact same thing with my VW Golf and they sorted that under the warranty so should be pretty much the same jobby

Reactions: amit87
just an update, just went to Audi (to try my luck) and they got the paint depth gauge of their's. Automatically think they thought I was a chancer as my car is a 55plate (I am a chancer haha).

Anyways got the paint depth gauge out, should read between 115-140 (microns I assume) but mine was reading anywhere between 140-200. He showed me evidence that car has been sprayed looking behind hinges etc (i dont have a keen eye so took his word and Id id get the car with not even 1 scratch so must be true).

So its a no go, I didnt pass the initial paint thickness test. will have to ring and get some quotes.

The guy did say it might be best to buy a wing and have it painted and then fit it, be cheaper than the work involved to remove current corrosion. But I will take NHN's advice and ring someone into smart repairs and gt a quote and post back.

I'll be honest, I knew they would say that.

This sort of thing can be associated with the wheel arch liner retaining dirt in the wing area, where water sits, so rotting through the wing. Common on early MK5 Golfs. Ideally remove wing for proper inspection and prep for re-spray on the inside and outer surfaces