Corrosion front wheel arch

MA3TDIQ

Reaction score
IMG 4779
Noticed corrosion at my nearside front wheel arch.

Absolutely gutted as it is just outside the 12 year paintwork warranty from Audi.

Car has never been in accident/had any work done. Have been doing some reading and apparently its a known problem with audi. I have really looked after my car, is it worth phoning Audi UK to complain?

Last edited:
I went to Audi and I’m within the 12 years, they didn’t want to know. Paint defects are only under warranty for 3 years and they tend to lean on that. I’ve heard of the odd occasion where people have got some ‘good will’ from Audi and a percentage paid towards the repair but new wings and paint from Audi are not going to be cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally due to the sound proofing in the front wings there like a sponge best to take the soundproofing out best to get the wing replaced but if the other wing is ok take the soundproofing out I had to replace both my front wings on my a4

That has bubbled up quite badly. My A3 was 15 years old and tt never had any rust on this location. It was starting to rust on the lowest part of the wing (in front of the sill), which is pretty normal.

In your case, I wouldn't even bother going to Audi for it. They may even ask if the car has had it's paint inspections done by Audi over the years, which not many owners do to be honest. I would just get a replacement wing. At least the front ones can bolt on/off, unlike the rear quarterpanels.

Could easily be a tiny stone chip opening up the paint to water ingress, buy used wing, paint & fit, much less hassle as Audi UK aren't favourable towards paint issues.

actually just noticed same thing happening on offside front wing but to a much lesser degree...

Normally due to the sound proofing in the front wings there like a sponge best to take the soundproofing out best to get the wing replaced but if the other wing is ok take the soundproofing out I had to replace both my front wings on my a4

How to remove this soundproofing?

actually just noticed same thing happening on offside front wing but to a much lesser degree...

How to remove this soundproofing?
Remove the wheel and you’ll see a few T15 torx screws holding the arch liner in place, easy to undo. Mud usually collects in the arch lip and holds water, helping the lip to rust. I occasionally drop the arch liner and spray a hose in that area and use a small stiff Brush to remove the mud, rinse again after brushing. If the factory under seal is damaged, brush or spray some Waxoyl in lip, it’s worked for me with all my cars in the past.

Remove the wheel and you’ll see a few T15 torx screws holding the arch liner in place, easy to undo. Mud usually collects in the arch lip and holds water, helping the lip to rust. I occasionally drop the arch liner and spray a hose in that area and use a small stiff Brush to remove the mud, rinse again after brushing. If the factory under seal is damaged, brush or spray some Waxoyl in lip, it’s worked for me with all my cars in the past.

this is great advice if I knew about it before hand, I just didn’t know this was a thing.. I have phoned Audi about to see what they have to say as this is clearly a design problem

this is great advice if I knew about it before hand, I just didn’t know this was a thing.. I have phoned Audi about to see what they have to say as this is clearly a design problem
To be fair to Audi, I don't think it is a design problem.
Your car is 12 years old, so it clearly kept the rust at bay for at least 10-11 years. Mine is 14 years old (next week) with 140,000 miles and doesn't have that issue, so if there was a design fault I would expect to see it on mine.

It's probably an unlucky stone chip, or poorly replaced arch liner when work has been carried out. Many newer cars from other brands suffer far worse rust than yours.

To be fair to Audi, I don't think it is a design problem.
Your car is 12 years old, so it clearly kept the rust at bay for at least 10-11 years. Mine is 14 years old (next week) with 140,000 miles and doesn't have that issue, so if there was a design fault I would expect to see it on mine.

It's probably an unlucky stone chip, or poorly replaced arch liner when work has been carried out. Many newer cars from other brands suffer far worse rust than yours.

If it was just on one side I would agree with your comment - could have easily had a stone chip or work done previously. But as it is on both sides in the same area.. I discussed this with the a bodyshop technician who advised me he has numerous audi/volkwagen with the exact same issue. its to do with soundproofing foam that gets wet and is in constant contact with the wing.. sounds like a design flaw to me - if it hasn't happened to yours yet - you are lucky - at least you know what to look out for in the future - take the soundproofing out if you can

Will be buying some new front wings and getting them painted - Anyone done this previously? Easy or difficult to get these wings replaced? Suppose I need the correct tools..

Reactions: DJ_26
Reactions: DJ_26
Make sure to wax oil the wings inside

Make sure to wax oil the wings inside

Thanks for the tip but I won't be installed these myself - I will get them painted and installed by bodyshop - Do I need to ask them to do this?

Also - I take it I will need to remove the soundproofing and not put it back to prevent this happening again?

Definitely don’t put that soundproofing back in and do wax oil the inside of the wings