Q5 Correct Tyre Size for my Audi Q5 2016 Special Edition

Leebroath

Hi guys, its that time again to buy a set of 4 brand new tyres and have them fitted locally for my Q5

2 years ago I purchased 2 x rear brand new Pirelli P Zero XL 255/40/Y/R21 which cost me £224.99 each, the Audi garage at the time when we bought the car paid for 2 new front tyres. (at Euromaster)

I have been back onto the ATS Euromaster webiste, and this time punched in my reg and it states I can choose a set of Tyres which are 255/45/R/20 W 101,

The Tyres which have 45 are much cheaper and can choose the Pirelli Scorpion Verde and cost for £146.69 (at Blackcircles) each which will not make such a dent in my wallet than the /40 sized.

Can anyone advise which Tyres I should be buying and does it really make a difference either choosing 45 or 40? or W or Y - It will save me a heap of money buying 4 together :)

I also just read that I don't need XL tyres as the car is never carrying a heavy load..

Confused.com with the below now?
upload_2020-9-18_16-39-11.png

Last edited:

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Hi guys, its that time again to buy a set of 4 brand new tyres and have them fitted locally for my Q5

2 years ago I purchased 2 x rear brand new Pirelli P Zero XL 255/40/Y/R21 which cost me £224.99 each, the Audi garage at the time when we bought the car paid for 2 new front tyres. (at Euromaster)

I have been back onto the ATS Euromaster webiste, and this time punched in my reg and it states I can choose a set of Tyres which are 255/45/R/20 W 101,

The Tyres which have 45 are much cheaper and can choose the Pirelli Scorpion Verde and cost for £146.69 (at Blackcircles) each which will not make such a dent in my wallet than the /40 sized.

Can anyone advise which Tyres I should be buying and does it really make a difference either choosing 45 or 40? or W or Y - It will save me a heap of money buying 4 together :)

I also just read that I don't need XL tyres as the car is never carrying a heavy load..

Confused.com with the below now?
View attachment 209459

I respectfully suggest you not go for the 20-inch tyres if you seemingly have 21-inch. Go check, make sure. Come back if you need the tyre nomenclature deciphering.

My own 2016 SQ5 21-inch summer tyres are: 255/40 R21 Y (12) XL R01

While my 20-inch winter tyres are: 255/45/R20 101V AO

Summer winter shown below

Hope this helps... :thumbs up:

SQ5 summer winter tyres.JPG

Last edited:

Leebroath

Thanks bud, yeh I had an after thought and should be 21’s

which means the hefty price for all 4 tyres at around £1000 urghhh

So you use 21’s in summer and 20’s in winter?

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Thanks bud, yeh I had an after thought and should be 21’s

So you use 21’s in summer and 20’s in winter?

Correct, Leebroath: Summer:

SQ5 rings #2.JPG

And Winter:

Big BLUEY on 20 inch winter rims #1.JPG