Correct part number for AFB injectors

Does the engine run smooth ? What colour is the smoke ? Blow by when you take oil filler cap is normal. Injectors leaking will bark, however seen a few Bosio With melted tips due to high egt And Poor spray pattern. You sure that you did not popped a hose ? Po

AKE engine has the modified Venturi breather unlike early AFB engines...

idle it is normal. When you open the oil filler cap, a mist of diesel comes out. The same mist also comes out from around the injector seals on the right bank (when the oil cap is closed). Could be melted tips.

Smoke when YOU remove filler cap is normal- just blow by ! Smoke by the injectors is not normal and may point towards a defective injector. However the idle should be bad if nozzles are not good! Check the n75 again...

Hi Chris, thanks again for weighing in.
I will recheck the N75, and then the pipes on the weekend.
The smoke from the filler cap is not oil smell but stringly of diesel.
As i undrestand, this diesel can come from the injector before the cylinder, or from within the cylinder (hole or crack in piston).
I will get the injectors pulled and checked first.
If i cant solve this quickly (I need this car as a daily drive) i may have to offload it....

Hi Chris, thanks again for weighing in.
I will recheck the N75, and then the pipes on the weekend.
The smoke from the filler cap is not oil smell but stringly of diesel.
As i undrestand, this diesel can come from the injector before the cylinder, or from within the cylinder (hole or crack in piston).
I will get the injectors pulled and checked first.
If i cant solve this quickly (I need this car as a daily drive) i may have to offload it....
If a piston is cracked then you will hear it blowing and misfiring + it usually smokes blue on part load.

Update....
Piston number 5 was stuffed. As I was running a little hot, I can only assume it was heat stress which cracked the piston.
It was a real pity, as it was running like a dream, albeit with a little smoke and the drive train rumble if you didn't take care of the revs.
After 4 months of weighing up options, decided to get an expensive (German) refurbished short motor, and now she is back and performing really nicely without the EGR and the main cat in the exhaust. (And the blacksmoke remap).
The performance bits (turbo gtg 2260 and race injectors) on my workbench currently looking at me. The aluminum boost pipes and allroad intercooler are still in place though.
Next Mot is early next year, so I will think about the reinstall of the performance bits after that.
Next step is to install the S4 B6 brakes I found in January.
Regards to all, nice to be back on the road.....
Andrew

Hi Andrew, good to be back on the road, I had a troublesome year and really did not find much time to travel abroad ! I am currently in Italy on lake Como and leaving back to uk tomorrow morning. I will be traveling via Switzerland and Louxembourgh, I wish I could make a detour to come see you !
I am really sorry to hear you had trouble with your engine, I run a similar state of tune as you for over 2 years and I don't baby my motor either. I think you have a poor spraying nozzle, dribbling fuel will cause hot spots which can stress pistons and they either melt or crack. I would really test them before fitting them back on... Once again, sorry I could not fix your engine, just too much on my mind lately...

One more thing, if you're back to running the Blacksmoke map I would advise switching back to the 2.5 Bar map sensor, the 4 Bar map will put the car in limp mode- I think you already done/found out that ! The 4 Bar map sensor calibration is wrong for generic tunes which use 2.5 Bar sensors as reference and cause turbo spikes...

Hi Chris, I figured you were overloaded, so went ahead with local replacement of the motor. I did change the map sensor back to standard. I agree that the spray pattern was probably to blame, so if i want to re install the injectors, i will have to get them checked out.
I will be around home for the next few days, if you are traveling through and want to stop for a break, I would love to see you and have a chat. Just give me an idea when...

Well i passed the January MOT (TUV over here) with the rebuilt motor, and may again take a walk on the wild side. Unfortunately after experiencing what these 2.5 TDIs can do with some more boost and a nice set of nozzles, its hard to leave it standard. Sure a newer car with the 3.0 TDI would fit the order, but whats the fun in that! I will look for 250-260 BHP, but will need to dial back the smoke. I can probably live with the drive shaft rumble... I think the choice of nozzles is the tricky thing.....Hopefully Chris can set me up with one of his nice hybrid Turbos....

Hi folks Back again!

Since my last post, i decided not to put the performance bits back on, but drive a little longer in standard mode, and then i traded the car for something newer. :( Not having someone close to help set the car up was one of the main reasons not to re install.

So nearly all the fun bits are now sitting in my garage, and would suit someone wanting to go down this path. So i have:
the turbo charger (gtb2260 re built by Chris) and custom connector to downpipe
the AFB injectors with Bosio race 683 nozzlers (mounted by Diesel Bob)
4 bar presure sensor
Remap is still on file (smoky though)
complete set of S4 B6 brakes with discs (bought refurbish, never used)
Set of 18 Inch wheeels with 5mm summer tyres
Old exhaust system
The boost pipes unfortunately were left on the car.
Any one who is interested, please send me a PM, i would recommend getting all the parts checked before reinstall, they have been off the car for nearly a year now..and please remember I am living in Germany (near Heidelberg) so its a bit of a drive...
cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
So do you have an idea of what was the issue with not getting all this kit to work together properly?
I need injectors but probably won't be any good to me without having rest of bits as those nozzles would be to big for mild upgrade I suspect.
Tom.

Hi Tom,
I did this upgrade some what remotely with the help of Chris. the torque and power were significant, but i wasnt able to get to a shop to fine tune the setup. If i had been in Finland or UK, no issues, but here in Germany no one was interested to help.
Chris arranged for some new maps,. but this was still remote and getting right would be difficult.
The tune i ended up with, was a little smokey (this caused my Tuv / Mot issues) and you got a drivetrain rumble often, and had to modify the driving style. Regardless, it was a real hoot to drive, and didnt go through much diesel either.
Andrew

Ok Andrew. Do you think there is an issue with one of the injector nozzles which caused your failure?
I think to stay safe and reliable 250bhp is max you would want from these engines without asking for trouble.
If I was closer I would have sway bars off you.

Really not sure about the cause for the failure, as the engine never got rebuilt. I suspect bad spray pattern, but i could never confirm it..
regarding the power, you are right based on my experience i would have also preferred a lower power (250-260). It related a little to the injectors i was using (race 683) these are monsters, and i would have preferred the pp 683, but these were no longer to be found..
The sway bars will probably cost more to ship than you can get them locally...if you ever travel through Germany drop me a mail though..