Corrado VR6 Storm

mr.ots

Reaction score
1 of 250 Mystic Blue Corrado VR6 Storms. Special edition, end of production model. 209 VR6 12V
Corrado 2

Reactions: Audi Adict
I can't get over the ride height of them yet the handling was sweet, much like the height and great handling of the Ford Puma.

Reactions: DJ_26
I can't get over the ride height of them yet the handling was sweet, much like the height and great handling of the Ford Puma.

Agreed, the puma is a good car, Top Gear's car of the year 1997 I believe. Underneath it was essentially a tweaked mk4/5 Fiesta! Love my Fords

One thing I don't really understand is the fact that although people praise the Corrado for its handling abilities, why do so many slate the mk3 golf GTI? Weren't they built around the same period and did they not share similar bits? (I think the corrado was built earlier, but they overlapped at some point)

I had a total of 2 golf vr6s when I was 18
Absolutely loved driving them

I know it's old technology but 197bhp in a 20 year old car with that sound is awesome imo

I'd love another in either rado golf

One thing I don't really understand is the fact that although people praise the Corrado for its handling abilities, why do so many slate the mk3 golf GTI? Weren't they built around the same period and did they not share similar bits? (I think the corrado was built earlier, but they overlapped at some point)

Corrado has mostly Mk 2 Golf GTI bits.

Mk3 Golf 2.0 8v GTI was a practical but poor performing hot hatch .

Sub zero I think.

The only good things to come out of the Mk3 was the VR6 and the Mk4 was the R32 after that it was back on track with GTI's.

The Corrado was built on the Mk2 Golf floor pan but in 1992 with the introduction of the VR6 engine, the Corrado used what is referred to as the "Plus Axel" at the front, which was adopted from the Mk3 Golf. This had two advantages - it gave the car a wider track and more strength and room to accommodate the VR6 engine. If you look at cars produced after 1992 you will notice that the bonnet has a bulge in the centre whereas the earlier cars had a dip, this was to make room for the taller VR6. The VR6 rados also had 5x100 hubs.

I've had both a Mk3 Golf GTI and obviously the Corrado and in terms of handling there is no comparison. The rado is very chuckable even with the roller skate ride height. A lot of guys who lower them are never quite happy with the reduced quality of the ride, even on standard suspension they can hardly be considered comfortable. As for me, I'm getting too old and like a bit more comfort so mine will be staying stock.

Mattyb6, you are right about the sound of the VR6 12V they are awesome. Stick a BMC air filter on them and they sound like thunder :)

Corrado has mostly Mk 2 Golf GTI bits.

The Corrado was built on the Mk2 Golf floor pan but in 1992 with the introduction of the VR6 engine, the Corrado used what is referred to as the "Plus Axel" at the front, which was adopted from the Mk3 Golf. This had two advantages - it gave the car a wider track and more strength and room to accommodate the VR6 engine. If you look at cars produced after 1992 you will notice that the bonnet has a bulge in the centre whereas the earlier cars had a dip, this was to make room for the taller VR6. The VR6 rados also had 5x100 hubs.

I've had both a Mk3 Golf GTI and obviously the Corrado and in terms of handling there is no comparison. The rado is very chuckable even with the roller skate ride height. A lot of guys who lower them are never quite happy with the reduced quality of the ride, even on standard suspension they can hardly be considered comfortable. As for me, I'm getting too old and like a bit more comfort so mine will be staying stock.

Mattyb6, you are right about the sound of the VR6 12V they are awesome. Stick a BMC air filter on them and they sound like thunder :)

Ah interesting! Agree with the noise, I heard some throaty 6-cylinder noise recently and when I looked up it was a dirty mk3 Golf!

I had a total of 2 golf vr6s when I was 18
Absolutely loved driving them

I know it's old technology but 197bhp in a 20 year old car with that sound is awesome imo

I'd love another in either rado golf

Were the Golf VR6 not 174bhp as they were a 2.8 and the Corrado was the 197bhp from a 2.9?

Actually the 2.9 VR6 in the Corrado was 190 bhp in standard form not 197. 16 bhp more than the 2.8 VR6 in the Golf.

My friend had a mk1 golf gti and put a corrado vr6 in it never been in a car like it it weighed about 800kg and had 190bhp

My friend had a mk1 golf gti and put a corrado vr6 in it never been in a car like it it weighed about 800kg and had 190bhp
Yep, seen that done to Mk1 and Mk2
Golfs and it's quite a combination in such light cars.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk