Coronavirus!!

Well coronavirus had two very contrasting impacts on me today.

In the morning, the refractive lens exchange procedures (think of it as cataract surgery without having cataracts to start with - it's solely for vision correction purposes) I had scheduled at Moorfields Hospital (left eye this coming Monday, right eye the Monday after) was cancelled. I now wait with bated breath for my £9,000 to be refunded - fingers crossed tightly on that one.

In the afternoon, my employer - which has several times over the past couple of years threatened redundancy only to keep giving us stays of execution - announced today that due to the current crisis, my department will no longer close at the end of June this year but will now stay open with no threat of redundancy at least until the end of March next year. I was already working four days a week at home to save them desk space, so staying at home the extra day hasn't meant much of an adjustment. But am I and my colleagues the only people in the country whose employment prospects have improved due to coronavirus?! :shrug:

Meanwhile, in my local area, people generally are behaving as normal; i.e. mostly selfish and ignorant. Thankfully, I have been socially distancing myself for many years, being a grumpy old man, so again not much adjustment required.

There will allway's be winners and looser at a time of crisis, luckily you have gained something positive from it but lost on the other hand with your eye issues.
An age old phrase comes to mind , He giveth and taketh away..

Glad your being positive chap.:icon thumright:

Reactions: MikeParkin, pburv, jdp1962 and 1 other person
Well coronavirus had two very contrasting impacts on me today.

In the morning, the refractive lens exchange procedures (think of it as cataract surgery without having cataracts to start with - it's solely for vision correction purposes) I had scheduled at Moorfields Hospital (left eye this coming Monday, right eye the Monday after) was cancelled. I now wait with bated breath for my £9,000 to be refunded - fingers crossed tightly on that one.

In the afternoon, my employer - which has several times over the past couple of years threatened redundancy only to keep giving us stays of execution - announced today that due to the current crisis, my department will no longer close at the end of June this year but will now stay open with no threat of redundancy at least until the end of March next year. I was already working four days a week at home to save them desk space, so staying at home the extra day hasn't meant much of an adjustment. But am I and my colleagues the only people in the country whose employment prospects have improved due to coronavirus?! :shrug:

Meanwhile, in my local area, people generally are behaving as normal; i.e. mostly selfish and ignorant. Thankfully, I have been socially distancing myself for many years, being a grumpy old man, so again not much adjustment required.
Funny you should say that about business on the up...One side of my place of work for over 30 years has been supplying consumables for scientific laboratories the other side was heavy engineering for nuclear decommissioning...The heavy engineering has all but gone and over the last couple of years the scientific supplies has boomed. With the Sars outbreak a couple of years ago our order book has gone through the roof. 1 million components out the door for one particular customer in the last 12 months....With this new and no doubt terrible virus we are probably going to get much busier ?
Wish it was busier under different circumstances though.:concern:

Reactions: wab172uk, Charlie Farley, MikeParkin and 1 other person
Thankfully, I have been socially distancing myself for many years, being a grumpy old man, so again not much adjustment required.
@jdp1962 - Now that ^ did genuinely make me laugh out loud Jeff ! Lol
Couldn't resist BH haha...Had a few gifs lined up but didn't want to push my luck.:scared2:
@pburv - Lol
& lol (I think ha d ha ha ha) :D

Reactions: 45bvtc, WOLF, Charlie Farley and 2 others
And this is most certainly not the case in 2020.

keep-calm-and-don-t-panic.png

I'm allway's Calm , it's everyone else that's in a panic.

Reactions: pburv and MikeParkin
Just sit down , pour yourself a nice drink and watch this , and forget all about the world around you for 5 mins.

works for me, and the lovely lass help's...:yes:

Reactions: wab172uk, pburv and MikeParkin
Just sit down , pour yourself a nice drink and watch this , and forget all about the world around you for 5 mins.

works for me, and the lovely lass help's...:yes:

I wouldn’t say no even if she had Coronavirus!! :hubbahubba: Sorry had to be said hahaha.

Reactions: wab172uk, pburv and Charlie Farley
Every time I play that vid , i'm in love , well I think its love but maybe something else:whistle2::yes:

Quite ironic as the public chased the cheapest , Tesco & all were only too happy to put the local baker , butcher out of business now we can't even get a loaf or a pint of milk.

Reactions: pburv
Damage has been done now, only one possible outcome .:sadlike:

Why are you comparing a totalitarian dictatorship government to the UK? It’s relatively easy to lockdown China and stop the stem of the flow of Covid-19. Look to Italy when you try compare a country to the UK.

Also, it has nothing to do with being clean.

PS. I’m a Tory, Remainer, and a realist just incase you need to categorise any more.
Italy is relatively full of old people who are the most at risk + they great each other with hugs and kisses. There will be less UK deaths than Italy imho. How many Italian deaths vs their population too? Most people won't even catch it + if you do 80-90% of people have mild symptoms.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 123Quattro and CHEZ
Italy is relatively full of old people who are the most at risk + they great each other with hugs and kisses. There will be less UK deaths than Italy imho. How many Italian deaths vs their population too? Most people won't even catch it + if you do 80-90% of people have mild symptoms.

TX.

Italy has 65million people and the total deaths has now overtaken China which has 1 billion +.

I get what your saying, but then what about Uk and it’s packed tube today or the fact that BBC has reported pubs busier than normal? Not exactly taking care in the UK.
Also, it is being spread by younger people that are giving it to the old. This lock down is to protect the old and the unwell. You almost sound like the death toll is fine cos it’s old people.

Italy has 65million people and the total deaths has now overtaken China which has 1 billion +.

I get what your saying, but then what about Uk and it’s packed tube today or the fact that BBC has reported pubs busier than normal? Not exactly taking care in the UK.
Also, it is being spread by younger people that are giving it to the old. This lock down is to protect the old and the unwell. You almost sound like the death toll is fine cos it’s old people.
London and big cities may get it bad (packed in + tubes, busses etc) but not out in the sticks. If people do the simple stuff like washing hands, no hand shaking, stay home if unwell etc if will just fade away. Plus Summer is coming, flu ain't great in the sunshine.

TX.

PS I went to the pub after bootcamp today and it was a ghost town so people are generally keeping their distance.

PPS the old folk are staying at home, you can't catch anything if just two people are bumbling round the house for 3 months.

London and big cities may get it bad (packed in + tubes, busses etc) but not out in the sticks. If people do the simple stuff like washing hands, no hand shaking, stay home if unwell etc if will just fade away. Plus Summer is coming, flu ain't great in the sunshine.

TX.

Italy, Spain and France all issued a lockdown. Immediately, people in the cities went home! South of Italy had no cases, 30,000 people left in an afternoon to go to the south, then you can guess what happened!
So by your advice, stay at home if unwell? What about your previous post if 80% either won’t get symptoms or it’s mild and think it’s a cold??they are fine to roam the streets and give it to the old,unwell population?

TX.

PS I went to the pub after bootcamp today and it was a ghost town so people are generally keeping their distance.

Or grown blokes kissing other grown blokes to say hello!
What's that all about?
Do that here in my town you will get thumped.
Just sayin

Reactions: RS5 JON, k.lockU2, 123Quattro and 1 other person
Thanks.

On a positive note, all stocks are on sale at the moment.

Buy them while you can.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Hate to say this chaps, but it's all our own doing.
It's not nice I agree and very sad to see so many deaths , but it is happening now and will happen again.
Humans are supposed to be the supreme beings on this planet, look at what've done to it , not that clever are we.
We pretty well eat everything on the planet , we kill pretty well everything including ourselves , we are are destroying ourselves and our whole planet through our own doing, something had to snap and this is just another step towards total wipeout .

Our planet will recover in time , but only after humans have long gone.

sorry to be so blunt but it's staring us all in the face and we still cant see what's happening.
100% agree with this mate, I'm just glad I'll not be around in another 50 years to see what we have done! The canals in Venice are already cleaner after such a short time of not being used!

And how's this for bad timing??? Wife comes into the lounge last night around 19.00 "The electric in the kitchen is off", I said what was the last thing you touched? "The microwave and the oven before that", I looked and the flip had gone off, I flipped it back and both microwave and oven came back on! (Dinner was in the oven cooking at the time), 20 minutes later..."errr something's wrong with the oven, it's cold!", the heater element at the back had blown :blink: and dinner was half done :wtf:

Contacted a couple of local repair guys who quoted around £60, but nothing could be done until late next week! Looked on youtube to see how to change it, looked easy enough! Went online and found the part for £12, but it would be wed-thurs before it got here. So this morning I phoned a spares place 20 mile away and they had one in for £20 :) I collected and fitted it, happy to say all is now working :)

Reactions: NevMan, Damo S, pburv and 2 others
It will only get worse, there are no if's ,but's or maybe with this virus, and if it mutates again into an even more aggressive strain we'll be total stuffed.
I could have told boris what he's finding out now weeks ago.
I have a good friend that works at the Institute for Animal Health where they know all about virus's that originate in animals then jump across to humans, they have been advising the Gov since January how this will go but they just ignored it and then what happens , it all goes exactly the way they were advised.

Reactions: MikeParkin and Ormesome
100% agree with this mate, I'm just glad I'll not be around in another 50 years to see what we have done! The canals in Venice are already cleaner after such a short time of not being used!

And how's this for bad timing??? Wife comes into the lounge last night around 19.00 "The electric in the kitchen is off", I said what was the last thing you touched? "The microwave and the oven before that", I looked and the flip had gone off, I flipped it back and both microwave and oven came back on! (Dinner was in the oven cooking at the time), 20 minutes later..."errr something's wrong with the oven, it's cold!", the heater element at the back had blown :blink: and dinner was half done :wtf:

Contacted a couple of local repair guys who quoted around £60, but nothing could be done until late next week! Looked on youtube to see how to change it, looked easy enough! Went online and found the part for £12, but it would be wed-thurs before it got here. So this morning I phoned a spares place 20 mile away and they had one in for £20 :) I collected and fitted it, happy to say all is now working :)

good job :thumbs up:
It’s a lost art fixing your own stuff in this consumer world where if it doesn’t work bin it. There’s a great satisfaction in fixing something.
We all gonna have to learn soon. Shops are gonna shut in a few days.

Reactions: NevMan and S32B

Good work - They aren't always that difficult to replace

Reactions: MikeParkin
Good work - They aren't always that difficult to replace
It was pretty straight forward, the hardest part was getting the connection on and off, very short amount of wire to work with and I have big hands and sausage fingers lol.

Reactions: Sparks43 and AlS3BE
Sky news report here from Italy:
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...e-inside-italys-hardest-hit-hospital-11960597

Finally the UK news is showing people in the UK how bad this thing is. If any of you are still going to the pub or commuting on a packed bus or underground, then I urge you to watch the video....
This is why I don't watch the news, absolutely no context given just numbers bandied around. He gives the impression that you either "live or die" on a 50 / 50 split which is total nonsense.

TX.

Some of these comments won’t age well.

Reactions: taks1 and Ormesome
For all of the people that have stockpiled groceries and the like, I hope your freezers' fuses blow and your goods be ruined.
No toothbrushes on the shelves.....what's that all aboot? did we not brush our teeth before or are some afraid this virus will mutate and we'll grow another set of teeth?

Reactions: S32B and Charlie Farley
For all of the people that have stockpiled groceries and the like, I hope your freezers' fuses blow and your goods be ruined.
No toothbrushes on the shelves.....what's that all aboot? did we not brush our teeth before or are some afraid this virus will mutate and we'll grow another set of teeth?

You beat me to it chap, I was going to say the very same days ago .
In my local less than supermarket, they have no Tom sauce , zippo so what's that all about.
Are people putting it on their breakfast cereal's or toast , no logic in that at all.:wtf:

I really hate panic buyers/ stock pilers , all I can say is this , you know who you are and you should be ashamed .

Reactions: S32B and Alistair D
You beat me to it chap, I was going to say the very same days ago .
In my local less than supermarket, they have no Tom sauce , zippo so what's that all about.
Are people putting it on their breakfast cereal's or toast , no logic in that at all.:wtf:

I really hate panic buyers/ stock pilers , all I can say is this , you know who you are and you should be ashamed .
People waiting outside at 0530 for 0700 opening at our local Tesco so I was told today when getting a coffee!

TX.

Reactions: Bryant1998
This is why I don't watch the news, absolutely no context given just numbers bandied around. He gives the impression that you either "live or die" on a 50 / 50 split which is total nonsense.

TX.

To be fair, 50/50 is the only real split, you can play the odds, but your outcome is only 1 of 2

Reactions: MikeParkin and Ormesome
Hope they were doing their "social distancing".
My thoughts go out to the check-out staff having to be that close to customers....store i was in are trying to persuade customers to pay via contactless:icon thumright:
People waiting outside at 0530 for 0700 opening at our local Tesco so I was told today when getting a coffee!

TX.

If we got to self isolate, least those who like detailing they cars, can spend some quality time on them. I will.

Some nice days coming up!

Reactions: 45bvtc and NevMan
If we got to self isolate, least those who like detailing they cars, can spend some quality time on them. I will.

Some nice days coming up!

Hear hear, now that is EXACTLY what I will be doing, starting with a clean of the winter wheels that have just come off

Reactions: 45bvtc and pburv
Hear hear, now that is EXACTLY what I will be doing, starting with a clean of the winter wheels that have just come off

Applying the FOURTH bridge logic here: clean and polish each car and spanners and then, clean and polish each car and spanners and then, clean and polish each car and spanners and then...

Fortunately tis time to plant tomato and cucumber seeds so a slight distraction...

Reactions: Bristle Hound and MikeParkin
I work in the professional motorsport industry....

No Formula 1, no WEC, no Indy or Nascar = no work for me.

Our short getaway to a wedding in Portugal now cancelled and my yearly excursion to Le Man (24hr) now moved to Sept with potential of cancellation.

Not that im complaining, im a good saver so alright for a bit but car needs servicing so need to let an unknown potentially cough & splutter on my steering wheel :/

All I can say is it must have hit India hard! I haven't had a single phone call all week telling me that I have a computer virus or that I've been injured in an accident that I haven't had!!! :p

Every time I play that vid , i'm in love , well I think its love but maybe something else:whistle2::yes:
Think you'll like this then :D

That's just sad and pathetic.

To be fair, 50/50 is the only real split, you can play the odds, but your outcome is only 1 of 2
Grumio in Plebs having a 50% chance of winning the lotto, "Either I'll win it or I won't" :D

Hope they were doing their "social distancing".
My thoughts go out to the check-out staff having to be that close to customers....store i was in are trying to persuade customers to pay via contactless:icon thumright:
I was at the checkout this morning and a bloke was having a go at the checkout woman because she told him to step back from the customer in front of him whilst he was waiting to be served. He turned to me and tried to get me involved with his argument, I pointed at the sign at the end of the checkout and said "Well it does tell you there mate, she's only doing what she's been told to do"....at that point he looked a bit embareesd and shut up. The woman at the till thanked me as she served me :)

Reactions: AlS3BE and pburv
Self isolation, quarantined, no pubs etc. All I could think of was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I spy with my little eye something beginning with W ????

Reactions: pburv