Cooling Issue - At my wits end!

Kev Boy

Reaction score
Hey, I have an Audi B7 3.0 TDi V6 (240bhp model) and im banging my head against a wall with my cooling system.

For weeks and weeks it was heating up to temperature as normal but would then fluctuate between 70 and 90 degrees, but never once overheated.

The blowers inside the car only blow freezing cold air.

The car overheated one day just ever so slightly and the fan came on. I thought the issue was likely to be the thermostat so I had it replaced which had no effect.

Now its the same but it is doing the slight overheating more often, fan kicks in, it comes back to temp and runs fine for the next half hour, then it comes on again. Its only going a needles width above the 90.

during this whole thing I noticed that when at temperature, you can take the lid off the overhead tank and dip your finger in comfortably, though there is pressure in the bottle. So it doesn't seem to be circulating.

I thought the fact there is pressure in the bottle, meant it couldn't be the headgasket. I thought the fact that its going under temperature that it wouldn't be the water pump as it would be more frequent.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I thought maybe the temp sensor but then I didn't think that would cause it to blow out cold air inside the car?

Any help would be amazing as I am sick of this now.

Thanks, Kevin.

Tbh have you done the most basic test of feeling all the coolant pipes including in/out the firewall as tbh sounds like its either blocked or not circulating, this test would give you insight.

No I haven't, that is common sense but I haven't thought to do that to see where the blockage is...

Tbh have you done the most basic test of feeling all the coolant pipes including in/out the firewall as tbh sounds like its either blocked or not circulating, this test would give you insight.

Felt the hoses after I warmed it to temp. They are all roasting hot and the overhead tank is warm too. but it was sitting a needle width over the line when driving and the fan was kicking in and out. it would go to normal temp then just edge over again and keep doing this. The blowers still blow cold air.

Now it needs some diagnostics as the coolant sender should display correctly.

I have a code reader but it’s not VAG specific. It isn’t showing any codes relating to the coolant. Does this need diagnosed by Audi / VCDS?

It shows these:

P1573
Sporadic upper limit exceeded

P3135

P161D

P2008 intake manifold open bank

I have a code reader but it’s not VAG specific. It isn’t showing any codes relating to the coolant. Does this need diagnosed by Audi / VCDS?

It shows these:

P1573

P3135

P161D

P2008 intake manifold open bank
Have a look through here see if your codes is in there ( http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes ).
Found a code close to ur p2008 , p2007 which relates to manifold.
Worth having a look at vcds map to find a member close to you and ask if he could do an autoscan for you be best place to start

Last edited: