Cooling fans run when engine switches off

gibbo62

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Any thoughts on my A4 bB. No engine light on dash, but my cooling fans come on when I shut the car down. They come on about 20 secs after get out of the car and run for about 4/5 minutes. Engine temp is ok.

More than likely it’s done a DPF regen and cooling down afterwards as it gets up to 650 plus degrees.
My 2 litre B8.5 2015 does this and have also checked via the app VAG-DPF only available on android at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.0 Tdi 190bhp.
How many miles has it done?
Can you borrow someone’s android phone who has the app and the OBD connector or if someone has Vag-com to check to see if it’s completing the Regen.
I assume the temperature is still stuck on the 90 degrees?

its done 100K. Every run out I have done whether its short or a long run the fans always run when the engine switches off. The engine temperature is at 90 degrees. I do have VCDS if that is any good.

I haven’t had time or need to check in VCDs as yet.
I would look at distance or time since last regen and soot level.

Could be fan sensor I have same engine and my fans come on when dpf has or is doing a regen but all the time no.
1. Fan sensor
2.dpf clogged
3. Thermostat knackered wont let car get upto temp to regen

Thats My 50p worth

My old B8 A3 170bhp did this, changed two sensors to no avail, never found the cause and it still does it after two years.

I had this once on my astra. It was the resistor pack for the fan. Looks like a multi pointed block.

I could be wrong but doesn’t the fan run after switch off if you’ve had the AC on?