Cooling Fans Not Coming On!

audidoodoo

Reaction score
Hi, I have searched this forum for help with my issue on a 2006 8p and not found an exact solution.
My problem is the cooling fans do not come on when the temperature gauge gets to halfway and is not showing overheating, when I put the climate control on both fans work straight away so the fans are ok! The temperature gauge does not go over halfway at anytime.......If the cooling temperature overheats does the gauge go above halfway? I have been on long drives in hot weather and the fans do not come on and the temperature gauge does not go over halfway! I have left the car idling and the temperature stays at halfway no fans on and no overheating! how is it cooling the radiator?

When you say "gauge gets to halfway" what do you mean? All Audi A3 engines are fitted with a thermostat that will open (and let coolant circulate through the radiator) when the temperature is exactly 90 degrees C. If the coolant temperature sender detects a higher temperature, the fan would come on. Going on a long drive usually means that there is plenty of air for cooling. If you car is a diesel, and I suspect it is, they are so efficient that even when you leave them ticking over they take an age to get up to coolant temperature.

Reactions: audidoodoo
When you say "gauge gets to halfway" what do you mean? All Audi A3 engines are fitted with a thermostat that will open (and let coolant circulate through the radiator) when the temperature is exactly 90 degrees C. If the coolant temperature sender detects a higher temperature, the fan would come on. Going on a long drive usually means that there is plenty of air for cooling. If you car is a diesel, and I suspect it is, they are so efficient that even when you leave them ticking over they take an age to get up to coolant temperature.

Hi Geraldy212, Thanks for replying, yes the temp gauge goes to 90 degrees (halfway) and it is a diesel 2.0 TDi Sport. You have given me more of an understanding of how the cooling system works on my Audi, I do not think there is a problem now and all is working as it should be......Thanks for the speedy and knowledgable reply.