Cooling fan on constantly

Robin Chandler

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had a fault code of :-
001152 - Coolant Fan Control Circuit 1 - P0480 - 002 - Electrical Malfunction - Intermittent
for a while now whenever i put my aircon on. Both fans would run flat out and it is very noisy.
After the hot weather we had last week i noticed on a cool morning that the fan was running immediately on a cold start. Scanned it and I've also got the code :-
008580 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor on Radiator Outlet - P2184 - 001 - Signal too low.
Am i right in thinking that if i change the G62 & G83 sensors this will cure it?
There is no problem with the heating up of the car and gets up to temp as it normally would so I don't think its a thermostat issue.

Thanks in advance

If the car stays on temp (check it with the heater on at full blast) you can exclude the thermostat from your problem yes. When you set your heater at 100% the coolant will flow through the thermostat as it opens. If the car stays on temp then that part is "ok".

When you fire up VCDS you can read the measuring blocks in the [Output Test-03] and [Adv. meas. blocks] and see what kind of values your sensors are giving (if they give them and didnt die).

Either way, if they won't give you any status the car goes into a (not sure how it's called in English, but litteraly translated from Dutch) "emergency loop/ run" to save the engine from overheating because it can't read any values or is getting wrong ones.

Reactions: Robin Chandler
Coolant

Ok, Thank you for that. The measuring blocks were fine when i checked it was and giving the correct reading. I'll start with the G83 sensor and go from there. Do you know where it is? Is it the awkward one at the front of the engine, number 21 or is it number 10?

View attachment 207326
Ok, Thank you for that. The measuring blocks were fine when i checked it was and giving the correct reading. I'll start with the G83 sensor and go from there. Do you know where it is? Is it the awkward one at the front of the engine, number 21 or is it number 10?
Im not sure but I read on a Dutch website that its located at the radiator exit. So I guess its no. 21 mate.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 with Tapatalk

Reactions: Robin Chandler
I had both fans run at full speed when I had a fault in sensor no. 10 in the diagram on my S3.

I had both fans run at full speed when I had a fault in sensor no. 10 in the diagram on my S3.
What fault codes did you have? Only my small fan is running constantly. I wish it was number 10! Apparently no 21 is a right b***h to change!

What fault codes did you have? Only my small fan is running constantly. I wish it was number 10! Apparently no 21 is a right b***h to change!

Ian sorry, I did not have a code reader at the time. I had unplugged the wiring to the sensor to give me better access to the gearbox cable mounting bracket that I was modifying. On plugging the wires back in both fans started running at full speed. I must have had a weak internal connection somehow. A new Audi sensor sorted it out.

OK thanks, I've changed both the sensors now and the fan is still running. Did a bit of playing with vcds and block 130 gave 2 coolent readings. 1 was rising with the car getting warm and the other was just sat at 139c!
The last thing I can try is sorting the fan control circuit code I have so I've ordered some new fans. Hopefully that will stop the problem.

Log
So that didn't solve it. Anyone got any ideas?
The Coolant Temp radiator outlet constantly reads 139.0c!
It cant be the sensor as its brand new from Audi.
Maybe a wiring issue?