Cooling fan not kicking in??

Haribo1986

Reaction score
Hi guys, took my a3 in for its mot the other day and got told by the tester that my cooling fan doesn't kick in, is this likely to be a sensor? Cheers

Maybe it's not hot enough.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Connect the fan directly to the battery temporarily to see if the fan motor is faulty. If the fan runs then it is most likely a duff radiator thermo switch. Other possible causes could be the wiring or a blown fuse.

Does your Aircon work? Mine stopped along with the cooling fans. Took the fuses out from on top of the battery, cleaned the contacts with my shirt and hey presto :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does your Aircon work? Mine stopped along with the cooling fans. Took the fuses out from on top of the battery, cleaned the contacts with my shirt and hey presto :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can honestly say I don't know, never used it, I just open the windows and sunroof!lol!

check Tuffty's minor modding thread, there's a couple of nice pics of the fuses on top of the battery and the state they can be in.

check Tuffty's minor modding thread, there's a couple of nice pics of the fuses on top of the battery and the state they can be in.
Just start at the first page and work your way to the end, they'll turn up eventually

That's what I did. Only took me 2 weeks ;-)
But I did learn a lot