Cooling fan after-run

PhilConran

Reaction score
Got a 2.0tdi SB manual with just under 3k on the clock and had a strange experience with it yesterday. Just wondering if anyone has had the same.
Came back after a 25 minute gentle drive in the cool evening, temperature gauge showing normal, 56mpg average (so very gentle!) and when I turned the engine off, the cooling fan kept running at a level that sounded like a Harrier about to take off. There was a very hot smell coming from under the bonnet and when I opened it, I got a waft of very hot air. I turned the engine on and off again and it stopped.
Anyone had a similar experience or got any ideas?

There is another thread about this on here somewhere.

It sounds like the car is cleaning the "Particulate Filter" fitted to the Diesel cars, it happens when you are not doing lots of motorway miles. :) I'm sure someone will explain how and why it works ;)

Yes another 8V owner has had this & the dpf cleaning afaik only runs when the cars in use.

I would try to find the other person who had the issue & maybe collaborate on finding a fault & talk to the dealers.

Many thanks for the response. Found a great explanation from Vertigo1 - definitely the DPF. Wish I hadn't restarted the engine now!

Ditto on my new A3 (about 3 weeks old). Only happens occasionally, but it's just so loud! Really freaked me out the first time!

Did it tonight on my brand new car .. Lasted 5 mins .. Stop start wouldn't work either