Coolant Warning

Swanny356

Reaction score
My coolant warning light keeps coming on in the morning. I've checked the coolant level and thats fine. I will pop into a local garage to get them to check the mix but wondered if anyone was getting a similar problem. Its a 2.0 T quattro.

What year? Has the coolant ever been changed as far as you know?

Its a 2006 with FASH so thought they would have done as part of standard service, but don't know for sure.

Yes happened to me also in the last few weeks. Although the coolant levels looked fine. Just top it up a little with the coolant not water and it will be fine. Must be something to do with the cold weather ;)

Did mine 2 weeks ago and made sure the concentration was good and strong; -20 degs below C is what you are after really on testing, anything less I would suggest a flush & change. First port of call! Mine was a few degs off but only got a warning once the reservoir was empty on 1st stage ignition.

Thanks - I will try topping up tomorrow and see if it cures it. I've got to get the brake pads changed after christmas so may get them to flush and refill when its in, to be safe though.

i read somewhere before that the prongs in the tank get scaled badly like a kettle does so give them a clean first i think its the two prongs that go into the coolant but not 100% sure on that

Thanks - I will try topping up tomorrow and see if it cures it. I've got to get the brake pads changed after christmas so may get them to flush and refill when its in, to be safe though.

Mine only had a service a month ago when coolant was changed, I get a coolant warning for a few seconds on a cold morning sometimes, very bizarre!

I have had the coolant warning on the Merc and a top up of neat coolant has sorted it. Even garaged cars need regular changes too! Even more so than daily drives...

My coolant warning light keeps coming on in the morning. I've checked the coolant level and thats fine. I will pop into a local garage to get them to check the mix but wondered if anyone was getting a similar problem. Its a 2.0 T quattro.

Hi Abs.

I also run a Golf Anni PD 150, had it for 7 years. I get the same thing every winter, has done it for years. Coolant never low and has never been topped up. As soon as the car has idled/ driven for a minute or two the alarm dissappears after restarting the engine. I've got to the stage where I dont even boher about it but at first I was panicking. Not saying your car is faultless but like previous posts say it may be a sensor issue.

Cheers,

S

i think its a common fault in winter mine does it as soon as the cold weather starts then it dissapears i still check it though lol

The problem is your sensor rods in the coolant tank. They have become rusty slightly sending a false signal.
This happened to me and many others, has been covered a number amount of times.
Do not go to audi they will charge around 250 for diagnostics parts and labour!
New coolant tank is only 26 quid plus another 14 I think for there coolant.
Easy to fix job!

Hope this helps

The problem is your sensor rods in the coolant tank. They have become rusty slightly sending a false signal.
This happened to me and many others, has been covered a number amount of times.
Do not go to audi they will charge around 250 for diagnostics parts and labour!
New coolant tank is only 26 quid plus another 14 I think for there coolant.
Easy to fix job!

Hope this helps
thats what i was on about in post number 7 matey knew i had seen it before somewhere

My car hadn't moved for about a week, and when I started it up the other night it came on in the DIS. I checked the coolant and it was perfect. IIRC it was changed in the summer when it had a major service @ Audi. I may just change the coolant and also the tank for that money for peace of mind. Thanks for the advice Danny! :wub:

My car hadn't moved for about a week, and when I started it up the other night it came on in the DIS. I checked the coolant and it was perfect. IIRC it was changed in the summer when it had a major service @ Audi. I may just change the coolant and also the tank for that money for peace of mind. Thanks for the advice Danny! :wub:

No problemo N8, glad to be of help.

Hi, thanks for all the replies. I've topped up an no warning, but also no cold weather!! Is there a way of cleaning the sensors or is it just a matter of replacing the coolant tank as it looks a nightmare job to get out.

Hi, thanks for all the replies. I've topped up an no warning, but also no cold weather!! Is there a way of cleaning the sensors or is it just a matter of replacing the coolant tank as it looks a nightmare job to get out.

For what it costs mate, just replace the tank!

Mine has been doing this also. It started when it got really cold. Done all the checks and everything looks fine. The light disappears after a few minutes and doesn't come on at all sometimes. Hopefully get it in on the 4th to get sorted. By the sounds of it, it is a common issue, I take it is ok to drive say on a longer journey?

Totally fine to drive mate, but to be on the safe side, I would check your coolant every so often, just to be sure.
Unless your car is under warranty then I suggest you try to change yourself as it is an easy cheap fix.

Thanks everyone, I finally got the bottle changed and no problem for 2 months even when it got really cold. £20 inc top up so can't complain at all. It took us @ 5 mins and most of that was waiting for it to warm up again to check for leaks. Far easier than I thought it would be, apologies Mr Audi designer.