Coolant Warning Light

nedbenson100

Reaction score
Hi folks,

New to the forum and A1's but not Audi's had 3 myself but just bought a 2010 A1 1.6TDI last night for the wife.

Small issue though, the red coolant warning light has come up on the DIS instructing me to turn off the engine and check the coolant level. The dealer did mention this before we set off in the car but assured me it would go off, apparently they had topped up the fluids and the car had been parked on a hill, sounds like nonsense I know. Anyway seeing as the car came with a 6 month warranty (engine coolant system is covered, phew) we decided to drive it away. We test drove it 2 days ago and the light wasn't there which seemed odd but of course it's now on every time we drive the car.

I've been keeping my eye on the coolant level and it hasn't gone down, nor have I noticed any leaks anywhere. The engine has had chance to get up to temp as we had a 30 mile drive home after buying it.

Spoke to the dealer today and they are coming back to me about the best way to sort it but I just wondered has anyone else had similar symptoms? I know there's a few threads across the net about leaking radiators, expansion tanks, etc but this seems more like a sensor issue for the coolant itself?

Any advice would be appreciated.