Coolant Temperature ?

OxfordRich

Collecting Rings
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening..
While logging my car for faults I spotted that VCDS shows my coolant temperature to fluctuate somewhere between 77 and 81 degrees C. This surprised me as I was expecting it to return something nearer 90 degrees C, so when I got home I took my wife's 2.0T for a thrash and measured the temperature on that as well - it was even cooler sticking around 75 degrees C.

On both cars the temperature gauge rises to 90 and stays there (although mine dips by a couple of mm on the motorway) but I was partly expecting this as they're so heavily damped to prevent people from panicing.

So, can somebody confirm this is normal and a decent temperature from VCDS measurements for this time of year (it's 1 degree C ambient temperature out there when these measurements were taken) or do I have two cars with thermostat issues?

Rich

If they had problems with the stat or cts they normally show up when scanned , stats maybe getting lazy.

Sure..

I'm good at waiting for faults to get logged before I fix things, but I'm asking what temperature people see reported with VCDS when the dash gauge shows 90.

Asking and answering my own questions again.. thouht I'd resolve this for any future searchers!

Today I replaced the thermostat. The car now averages 93-95 degrees C, which is much more like it. So that's the answer to my first question, yes it was stuck open or getting slow.

It required removing alternator and a couple of other bits which were easy, the tricky part was getting the top hose off the old thermostat, took me about an hour, they're well stuck on there. I expect this will become a common issue on the forum as time passes, I find it odd that out of both the 2.0T's on my drive, both had the issue. Whole job took me 3 hours and worst part was freeing the hoses from the thermostat.

Thermostart Part number is 06D 121 111 G (or 06D121111G without spaces!) and it was £25.25

Yep, you answered your own question there.....I had the same issue on mine.....been right as rain ever since! Seems to be a common issue and I have read of many owners who just live with it....but I noticed my bus had an unhealthy appetite for drinking more fuel so had mine changed.

Good Luck
A

Last edited:

For what it's worth, we now know that the temperature display in the instrument cluster will stick to '90' for temperatures between 83 and 107 degrees, quite a range!

I'm not sure how keen I am to try this same job on a mk5 Golf GTI but i'll weigh it up i guess. The golf is drinking more fuel than the quattro with the same engine and I think this is why.