Coolant temp

mac1403

Reaction score
Any of you guys noticed your water temperature moving all over the place. Today was the first warm day I’ve had the car and got stuck in traffic. Temp went through the roof (108 degrees). No warning lights on at all. Since then I have been checking the gauge and noticed the temp moves all over the place. Driving normally it can go up to 100 degrees and then slowly back to 94/95. Called Audi and they say there is 2 stage cooling and if the warning light doesn’t come on it’s fine. Just doesn’t seem normal to me as I would expect the water temp to be stable around 90 degrees. BTW the car is a 2020 RS3

Normal.

Under bonnet temps get very hot while stationary.
Once you get moving it soon stabilises.

*edit* lol I’ve just noticed you said coolant not oil.

Never had my coolant move off 90.
Oil yes that can move around on a hot day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Normal.

Under bonnet temps get very hot while stationary.
Once you get moving it soon stabilises.

Thanks for the reply. Just never seen temps go that hot thought. Strange bit is the fluctuating temp whilst driving normally. Anywhere.between 90-100 degrees is what it shows. My S3 just stays on 90 degrees when driving.

Thanks for the reply. Just never seen temps go that hot thought. Strange bit is the fluctuating temp whilst driving normally. Anywhere.between 90-100 degrees is what it shows. My S3 just stays on 90 degrees when driving.

Sorry when you say fluctuating temp you are referring to the oil gauge ?

I’ve never had the water gauge move.

Oil gauge yes it’ll quite easily show 105 etc.

Sorry when you say fluctuating temp you are referring to the oil gauge ?

No the water temp gauge. Not sure where the aircon vents to, but there was also a damp patch under the l/h near the front when I just looked. Coolant level is just above min but there are no drips underneath.
15ABE10C 551D 44F1 A3BC 7ACA5E56F3E1

No the water temp gauge. Not sure where the aircon vents to, but there was also a damp patch under the l/h near the front when I just looked. Coolant level is just above min but there are no drips underneath.
View attachment 234423

Never seen my gauge move off 90 to be fair.
I’ve had damp patches off the Air con when it’s been working hard on a hot day.

The liquid should be odourless and clear.

Never seen my gauge move off 90 to be fair.
I’ve had damp patches off the Air con when it’s been working hard on a hot day.

The liquid should be odourless and clear.

Thanks, will get it booked in tomorrow. Didn’t seem right to me

my temp gauge in car shows 90 bang but but when connected to my phone via OBD it gets to 105 when stantionary and 85/90 when moving again. Its an S3 though not RS3.