1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant system drain and flush, advice please.

rabhrab May 18, 2018

1. rabhrab

rabhrab Active Member

Hi all, I have my 2015 b8.5 S4 Avant (26.5k miles) at the local Audi dealers for it's oil service change and they've sent me an Audi video showing that my coolant reservoir water is "dirty" and therefore urgently requires a system drain and flush......... at a cost of £905 incl vat!
    Is this something I should be able to do myself easily? If so, any tips?
    I just think that this quote is a no no for me.
    Thoughts and comments gratefully received as always!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member Team Phantom Audi S4

Wow, that sounds like robbery! Any local garages you could phone for an alternative price?

rabhrab likes this.
  4. rabhrab

rabhrab Active Member

Yes, just not got round to asking yet!

5. scotty76

Also given on the fixed price servicing: Cambelt & Water pump £649. They surely need to renew the coolant to do that job! I'd be asking them to justify the cost!

(I realise the S4 doesn't have a cambelt, was just fishing for an expensive job on the fixed price schedule)

6. rum4mo

rum4mo Well-Known Member

That is a brilliant bit of wallet wrecking 10/10 for Audi dealer!

So, what has made the water dirty on a 2015 S4? Will that not be the subject of warranty repair within/on the engine or ancillaries - charge coolers etc?

JG51 AUD likes this.
  7. rabhrab

rabhrab Active Member

Called in at Halfords Autocentre on the way to pick up the Audi from the dealers and asked them what they would charge for a coolant drain, flush and refill. Answer: £37. Continued to dealers to pick up the car and asked them why they wanted to charge £905 to do this? Answer: We have to dismantle the front of the car to remove the expansion bottle in order to clean and flush the system properly! Er, no thanks!
    P.S. Audi also want £65 to change the brake fluid. Halfords would do it for £37 again!

scotty76 likes this.
  8. T-800

T-800 Well-Known Member Team Glacier TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi RS3 quattro Sportback S tronic MQB Platform

Drain is easy

Filling even easier with a vacuum filler like this as long as you’ve access to a compressor.

[​IMG]

Did the coolant this way on our GTD after a recent Cambelt / water pump change.

The Venturi effect of using compressed air creates a vacuum in the coolant system, when the valve is re-opened the air rushes back in dragging the fresh coolant and filling the system with no air locks.

9. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

I'm amazed this was even deemed necessary on a car barely 3-years old with just 26,500 miles on the clock. The long-life pink antifreeze is supposed to last at least 5-years and manufacturers like Toyota and BMW treat it as almost a lifetime fill these days.

10. scotty76

The others make a good point. Why is the warranty not covering this?

11. weekenny

weekenny Active Member

The expansion bottle comes out with the removal of two nuts.

How did it get “dirty”? My money is on a burst oil cooler get it seen to asap getting all the oil out of the cooling system isn’t easy.