coolant loss

pipppp

Reaction score
i'm driving an A3 2.OL TDI SPORT, 53 plate , it runs really well but is constantly losing coolant, recently had radiator replaced due to this but doesnt seem to have rectified problem?, the engine temp never goes above 70 , and no visible leaks, where is this coolant going ?

new to audi so any suggestions much appreciated

Thanks Phil

Sorry to say it sounds like the porous head problem on the early 2.0 tdi engines.
There's a link to it in the FAQ's section at the top of this forum. I think it says cracked head in the title, but it gives a description of symptoms and also a guide as to how likely it is for your engine to be affected, by the code on the cylinder head.

I'm afraid it sounds like the well known 'porous head' problem. The early BKD engines (140PD) were prone to the head cracking internally and allowing coolant into the cylinders and evaporating. You will probably notice a certain amount of white smoke on start up as well.

Sorry but the only answer is to take it to the dealer you bought it from (assuming it was a dealer) and see if they are prepared to do anything.

Audi were aware of the problem caused during manufacture and modified the head in later models. If you can live with it then ok but the only real cure is a new head. You can bung a bottle of K-seal (available from motoring shops for about £7) into the header tank to see if that helps - it certainly won't do any harm !

If you search the forum for 'porous head' you will find lots of information.

Good luck.

Edit - Dan beat me to it !!!!

Last edited:
thanks for info, although it is a bit depressing ! it's past the dealer warranty now , iv'e just driven to Scotland and back and it drives really well, i will check the codes on the engine , can i just keep topping up the coolant? and keep driving or should i get rid of it

Top it up with K-Seal and coolant and see if it helps. Almost certainly you will have an 'A' suffix cylinder head.

You can keep driving and topping up but I'm sure the K-seal will improve the situation even if it doesn't solve the problem !

The problem is, if you get rid of it and use the money to buy another one then I guess you'll probably get an A3 around the same age unless you can add money to your budget.
If it's around the same age then that too could have the problem unless it's already had a new head. Besides checking the code it's difficult to tell if it's got the problem during a test drive unless it's losing a LOT of water. I'd get a quote for getting the head done first, it might work out cheaper in the long run than swapping cars, especially if you're happy with it otherwise.

iv'e checked and this engine has an 'A' suffix, when you say get the head done do you mean the head gasket or cylinder head ?
i would prefer to keep the car and get work done to be honest because the car is in good nick otherwise.

would you consider using k-seal in the header coolant tank whilst i decide this cars fate?

thanks for your help

K-seal is cheap enough and won't do any harm. Try that and see if it helps.

Unfortunately it is the cylinder head that needs replacing, not just the gasket.

Look on this forum for a member called 'devonmikeyboy' who usually has a few refurbished cylinder heads for sale. I think you will be looking at £500 ish plus gaskets etc. plus fitting.

Whatever you do DON'T go to an Audi dealers who will want anything up to £3,500.

K-seal should help to give you a new lease of life for a while.

Good luck