Coolant loss + ESP in the snow??

razor123

Reaction score
I have a 2010 A3 140 Tdi. Had to leave the car at a hotel on Sat night as couldn't get out of the car park, came back the following morning and when I started the engine it flashed up turn engine off and check coolant level. Assumed it must have been frozen and set off home.

Anyway it has done the same again this morning, question.... what level should the coolant be up to when checking as it does look low and whats the best thing to top up with.

As an aside also in the snow ESP on or off???

Thanks

Correct Coolant is VAG spec G12 from any motor factor or G12+ if buying from Audi.

There should be a mark on the side of your coolant expansion tank.

1H0121407A.JPG

The bottom line shows the minimum, and the top of the max amount of coolant.

I would check theres enough coolant in the system and that its not just water. I would certainly not be driving the car if it is mainly water as if it freezes it will result in your water pump blowing.

G12 is fairly cheap, its around £7.50 from Euro Car Parts/GSF or similar motor factors, always handy to keep a bottle in the car. A full system needs about 3 bottles ( with the rest mixed with water.. ).

The colour of G12 is pinky/fluro colour, if your coolant in the expansion tank is clear and looks like water than i'd be pretty worried and certainly wouldnt just leave it.

Hope that helps

S

Is it losing fluid or just a faulty sensor when the fluid was already lowish anyway?

See if it keeps doing it once you've topped the level up, as the coolant reservior sensors can go faulty & require replacement of the coolant reservoir bottle. Cheap & easy to fit a new coolant bottle though - even I managed it...

It is pink and is def below the min mark from the picture above. Will need to top it up asap then. Thanks for the replies..

turn engine off and check coolant level. Assumed it must have been frozen and set off home

and you drove it home no checks
now if it was frozen it would have cost you £££££££ to get it repaired

The ESP button in the centre dash - is it supposed to light up (as well as the warning light in the speedo ) when esp is switched off ?

I recently replaced my coolant temp sensor as it was nackered,later to find my radiator was cracked in the passenger side lower corner. The coolant was slowly escaping as steam and wasn't visable.

I recently replaced my coolant temp sensor as it was nackered,later to find my radiator was cracked in the passenger side lower corner. The coolant was slowly escaping as steam and wasn't visable.
that may be my problem its using a bit of coolent and cant find where its leaking from so now its cold might be able to see it lol

Just a quick note, it is a 2010 model so I am assuming that it will have all the necassary anti freeze in from new, take it back to audi and get them to check it out under warranty.

ESP should be off, I Think there are 2 stages to turning ESP/ASR off, dont you have to hold the button down for a period of time to turn one off.

First one says ESP off, then next stage says ASR off, not got mine at mo as in dealers so cant double check.

that may be my problem its using a bit of coolent and cant find where its leaking from so now its cold might be able to see it lol

Guaranteed it is mate, one of my mechanics mates told me he's forever fitting new radiators to a3's, we done a 24 hr pressure test that showed no leaks, then a new temp sensor and a bottle of radweld!

walla!

Do not turn your ESP off!

It should only be turned off if you are STUCK, or in DEEP snow. Once you are unstuck, or back on road, packed snow or ice turn it back on again.

You would not believe the trouble it can get you out of, try it in an empty car park to get a feel for it. And while you're there, it would be rude not to try it with the ESP off for a bit....

Do not turn your ESP off!

It should only be turned off if you are STUCK, or in DEEP snow. Once you are unstuck, or back on road, packed snow or ice turn it back on again.

You would not believe the trouble it can get you out of, try it in an empty car park to get a feel for it. And while you're there, it would be rude not to try it with the ESP off for a bit....

Agreed.

Here's why. Watch all of it.

YouTube - Fifth Gear - Bosch ABS, TC, and VSC

I really want to test this out myself though!

Last edited:
By frozen I meant the sensor... its brand new car so dont expect to be filling it up with coolant and there wasn't a noticable leak. Spoke to audi who said to only fill it if the warning stays on whilst driving which mine did not do and to monitor it as they are having lots of issues in this extreme weather. After checking and checking the level has risen back up and no warnings on start up.

Odd!!?