Coolant leak

Jakereeves96

Reaction score
Hi, vague question. It looks like I have a coolant leak on the back of the engine of my 2014 S3. Would that be caused by a cracked hose?

Attachments

• ACFFFD0E-8123-4C53-9BD8-B7B35881F4F1.jpeg
    ACFFFD0E-8123-4C53-9BD8-B7B35881F4F1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 100
Also, there’s a lot of smoke/ condensation coming from the engine bay when the cars on
Are you able to clarify whether it's smoke or condensation or both? Condensation isn't necessarily anything to worry about and will go away when the engine is on and up to temperature/during a run, but smoke obviously indicates an issue you want to get on top of. If the pulleys are wet then you will get a bit of screeching and maybe a bit of light smoke as the water dries and evaporates.

Is that leaked fluid definitely coolant? I can't tell from the picture, but if you do have a leak it would make sense that the engine is getting a bit smoky and overheating. Did you notice oil/coolant temperatures from the dash displays? Could definitely be caused by a cracked hose and if it's in the engine bay then you'd assume it's a hose that connects to the engine rather than in the heater matrix, for example, which would probably have leaks inside the car (under the carpets)

Are you able to clarify whether it's smoke or condensation or both? Condensation isn't necessarily anything to worry about and will go away when the engine is on and up to temperature/during a run, but smoke obviously indicates an issue you want to get on top of. If the pulleys are wet then you will get a bit of screeching and maybe a bit of light smoke as the water dries and evaporates.

Is that leaked fluid definitely coolant? I can't tell from the picture, but if you do have a leak it would make sense that the engine is getting a bit smoky and overheating. Did you notice oil/coolant temperatures from the dash displays? Could definitely be caused by a cracked hose and if it's in the engine bay then you'd assume it's a hose that connects to the engine rather than in the heater matrix, for example, which would probably have leaks inside the car (under the carpets)
Sorry yeah, it’s condensation. I got another picture here. It definitely looks like coolant, just fapping abit lol
2094B2FF 3B7E 4331 87B5 6CBED204475C

& also, sorry for replying in parts but the oil temp was around 103 which is fairly normal from what I’ve seen from driving in the past. I don’t know how to see coolant temps on the S3 tho as the boost gauge is there

& also, sorry for replying in parts but the oil temp was around 103 which is fairly normal from what I’ve seen from driving in the past. I don’t know how to see coolant temps on the S3 tho as the boost gauge is there
Yeah that's about right for running temp, so that's a good start. On mine the coolant temp is bottom left of the display but I've got VC so it may be different if you don't.

My suggestion would be to check the connection of all hoses you can find, although with coolant hoses it can sometimes be impossible to know which one is leaking as on the outside it'll seem fine, but you might get lucky and find a bit of fluid. Obviously near where the coolant is dropping would be your best bet.

Are you having to refill the coolant tank?

Yeah that's about right for running temp, so that's a good start. On mine the coolant temp is bottom left of the display but I've got VC so it may be different if you don't.

My suggestion would be to check the connection of all hoses you can find, although with coolant hoses it can sometimes be impossible to know which one is leaking as on the outside it'll seem fine, but you might get lucky and find a bit of fluid. Obviously near where the coolant is dropping would be your best bet.

Are you having to refill the coolant tank?
Not yet mate, it only started happening yday

Not yet mate, it only started happening yday
Was the coolant leak you found still wet or a stained red? Could it be historical or is it definitely happening now?

I'd keep a keen eye on your coolant levels and gauge temperatures from now on, and clear off the old leak so that you may be able to get more clues as to whether it's still active and where it's originating. It doesn't seem like a huge amount is leaking but obviously any leak is not good and could become a bigger problem if left.

These engines are bad for thermostat/water pump leaking, it’s an inherent flaw in the ea888 engine which covers the 1.8 and 2.0. Mine did it at 3 years and was sorted under warranty.

Reactions: Jakereeves96 and strtnz
Was the coolant leak you found still wet or a stained red? Could it be historical or is it definitely happening now?

I'd keep a keen eye on your coolant levels and gauge temperatures from now on, and clear off the old leak so that you may be able to get more clues as to whether it's still active and where it's originating. It doesn't seem like a huge amount is leaking but obviously any leak is not good and could become a bigger problem if left.
The leak got really bad today, red coolant light come on during my commute to work. Topped it up, was gonna again by the time I got to work. Apparently

it got really bad on the way to work, red light come on. Pulled over, topped it up and it was empty again when I got to work. Which was about 5 mins, took it to a garage and they reckon one of the pipes by the turbo have split. Which is what was causing all the smoke/evaporation or whatever it’s called to happen. Hopefully get it back tomorrow tho!

These engines are bad for thermostat/water pump leaking, it’s an inherent flaw in the ea888 engine which covers the 1.8 and 2.0. Mine did it at 3 years and was sorted under warranty.
Yeah my A3 I had a few years ago had a bad leak, the 1.8 tfsi

The leak got really bad today, red coolant light come on during my commute to work. Topped it up, was gonna again by the time I got to work. Apparently

it got really bad on the way to work, red light come on. Pulled over, topped it up and it was empty again when I got to work. Which was about 5 mins, took it to a garage and they reckon one of the pipes by the turbo have split. Which is what was causing all the smoke/evaporation or whatever it’s called to happen. Hopefully get it back tomorrow tho!
Sounds a lot worse than mine.
I was losing maybe at most 500ml to a full tank of fuel.

Sounds a lot worse than mine.
I was losing maybe at most 500ml to a full tank of fuel.
Got it sorted, it was the engine hose flange. It had perished really bad, causing loads of coolant to constantly leak. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: AlS3BE
Where was it leaking from ? MY S3 has a leak at the back of the engine, underneath. It looks like it could be in the area where the turbo coolant lines are. Is this similar to where yours go in ?

How long of a fix was it in the garage ?

Where was it leaking from ? MY S3 has a leak at the back of the engine, underneath. It looks like it could be in the area where the turbo coolant lines are. Is this similar to where yours go in ?

This sounds like my water pump/thermostat leak as that’s where it is.
if you can get under tray off your sump will be stained with coolant.

Mine was leaking for the coolant hose flange. But I’d agree with the comment below that it’s probably water pump or thermostat