Coolant Leak

duanea3

Reaction score
Good day fellow Audi owners,

I am a bit worried. So I have a 2014 A3 1.8Tfsi saloon. It has about 65k miles on it. Recently, it started leaking coolant. I drove to the store, and underneath was a puddle of coolant at on my parking spot. As I was driving, the check coolant light went on, and I immediately went to the store to get coolant. Note, that the temperature is normal, the car wasn't overheating. I waited for the car to cool down, before I poured in the new coolant. Later that evening, I took a trip to the gas station and on my way back home, the check coolant light went on again, and the reservoir was below the minimum mark again. I parked the car in the garage, and haven't driven it since then again. I've have checked that there is almost like a clear puddle underneath the car, more to the reservoir's side. Can anyone assist me with what it could be? Anyone had similar issues before?

Thank you very much.

Could be this

Reactions: duanea3
Given the age and model, it's almost certainly your thermostat (which is a very misleading name, as it's a large package of electronics, motors and slide valves with a hefty price tag attached). Mine went recently (also 2014 1.8tfsi), although the repair to mine was a little more complicated as the coolant had leaked into the wiring connector and corroded it, so they needed to fix that too. I wasn't actually having a major coolant loss, but the corrosion was triggering all sorts of odd problems and putting the cart into limp-home mode. Unfortunately, the Audi main dealer in west London charged £1400 to sort this out, although that did include a precautionary change of the water pump at my request, as it was only around £60. I would strongly advise you to do the same if they're replacing the thermostat. Most of the cost is in the labour as it's a pig to get to, so you might as well take the opportunity for a new water pump at eight years old!

Reactions: ccs3 and duanea3
Given the age and model, it's almost certainly your thermostat (which is a very misleading name, as it's a large package of electronics, motors and slide valves with a hefty price tag attached). Mine went recently (also 2014 1.8tfsi), although the repair to mine was a little more complicated as the coolant had leaked into the wiring connector and corroded it, so they needed to fix that too. I wasn't actually having a major coolant loss, but the corrosion was triggering all sorts of odd problems and putting the cart into limp-home mode. Unfortunately, the Audi main dealer in west London charged £1400 to sort this out, although that did include a precautionary change of the water pump at my request, as it was only around £60. I would strongly advise you to do the same if they're replacing the thermostat. Most of the cost is in the labour as it's a pig to get to, so you might as well take the opportunity for a new water pump at eight years old!
Thank you very much for your feedback. Yes, I was at a Audi certified mechanic and we confirmed that the water pump needs to be replaced. So I definitely going to replace it along with the thermostat.

My 2017 S3 8V just demonstrated this problem. 40k miles. I took it to my local dealer this morning. They immediately diagnosed the issue, gave me a loaner, and Audi is taking care of the cost 100%. I am the second owner, and I have no warranty. You might run it down to your dealer and have them look it over. I was pleasantly surprised.