Coolant leak

Nick_B

Reaction score
Hi All,

I appear to have a slight coolant leak. Started the car from cold and got a low coolant warning – am travelling in France and as the local supermarket did not have the correct G12 / G13 coolant I topped up the expansion tank with water, it required over a litre to bring the level to between the min and max marks.

Clearly a very slow leak as since topping up with water I have covered over 1000 miles of fast autoroute driving and several mountain passes with temperatures in the mid-thirties, but checking this morning from cold, the level is back below the minimum.

Car is booked in with the dealer on Wednesday – interested if anyone else has experience coolant leaks.

Mine had a thermostat housing leak so could be that, fairly common. I didn't lose much coolant though and only noticed it when looking for the source of a stain on the drive which turned out to be my a/c PAG oil. Audi covered the repair (of both leaks).

I know coolant leaks (via the thermostat housing) are common on the 1.8 and 2.0 EA888 engines used in the likes of the S3, Golf R, etc. Maybe it’s a weakness across multiple engines?

Turned out this leak was from the water pump - replaced under warranty but would have been almost £900.

Hi All – sorry to resurrect such an old thread – but worth mentioning that I have had a recurrence of the water pump coolant leak (some 2 years / 50k plus miles later) with the car now being out of warranty. This leaking coolant also contaminated the timing belt, meaning that needed to be replaced also.

Disappointing the have exactly the same failure!

Hi All – sorry to resurrect such an old thread – but worth mentioning that I have had a recurrence of the water pump coolant leak (some 2 years / 50k plus miles later) with the car now being out of warranty. This leaking coolant also contaminated the timing belt, meaning that needed to be replaced also.

Disappointing the have exactly the same failure!
Had to replace the system too, costed over £1.6k from local garage. Unlucky it happened after warranty period