Coolant leak

John Eady

Reaction score
Hi, I have a coolant leak from the underside of my A4 B7 Cabriolet 2.0 TFSI. It's coming from a perished seal as pictured. Can someone tell me what it's called and let me know if it's a DIY fix? I'm not that brilliant with cars but as this COVID-19 is knocking around, I thought it would be fun to have a go myself if it's relatively easy. Any links to youtube videos would be an extra bonus.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_141410.jpg
    IMG_20200323_141410.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 142
can't tell you much about that leak, but based on this pic your snub mount is definitely due to replacement and that is a cheap and easy fix

Reactions: John Eady
Hi, i should of marked it. There's a rubber foam seal that's perished which means i lose about half pint of water each week. Its marked in the new picture here.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_141410_2.jpg
    IMG_20200323_141410_2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
Cheers Tom S - I have just googled Snub Mount and that's the chap. Am now investigating Youtube for replacement procedures. I assumed that this is where I am loosing fluid but must be somewhere else. I'll investigate. Appreciate it

Hi, i should of marked it. There's a rubber foam seal that's perished which means i lose about half pint of water each week. Its marked in the new picture here.

Cheers
the foam seal you have circled is your engine mounting bush (snub mount) there's no way there could be any leak from there ,as behind it is only metal.. its just a mounting point between the engine and the chassis.

I'm rely not pranking. As I said in my post, I've decided to look at this myself to fill the time in lockdown.
The mount is below the rad. There is small traces of coolant appearing around the snub mount. It was obviously worn and needed replacement so I put 2 and 2 together and came up with 20.
The job looks like an easy one so I'll do this myself and search harder for the leak.
Appreciate the info. Thank you

Reactions: Sidrick
I'm rely not pranking. As I said in my post, I've decided to look at this myself to fill the time in lockdown.
The mount is below the rad. There is small traces of coolant appearing around the snub mount. It was obviously worn and needed replacement so I put 2 and 2 together and came up with 20.
The job looks like an easy one so I'll do this myself and search harder for the leak.
Appreciate the info. Thank you
just had to ask, you cannot be sure these days :D
since you have traces of coolant around the snub mount , the location of the leak might be somewhere above the mount ,(coolant dripping on it is my first guess)