coolant leak???

dannyjb

just noticed a couple of times, (not all the time) a small damp patch on the floor under the front left of my car (under bumper) seems to be coolant but the levels never dropped?

is there a common fault with this? or is it my radiator? not had chance to get it looked at yet as if its a easy diy ill do it myself..

dannyjb

i thought that but when ive touched it, it smells like coolant :/

dannyjb

i put a piece of a4 paper under neath where it is and its deffinately coolant... thanks ill give this a try :icon_thumright:

Willf

Please dont use k-seal or rad weld or similar -at best this is just masking a problem - at worst it can build up and clog areas of your coolant system - in short, its a bodge!

Locate the source of the leak and fix it. I once had a Vauxhall Combo dieasel van that had been 'treated' and it had completely blocked the thermostat and ended up craking the head!

I know thats a bit extreme, but for the sake of an hour's investigation - I would prefer not to risk it!

stu_m

VCDS Map User
Just because the level doesn't look as though its dropped it doesn't mean its not coolant

All you need is a few drops and it will look bigger then it actually is and a few drops wont be a noticeable difference in the level

I'm guessing its only leaking when hot and under pressure? it could be a seal in the hose connections that's on its way out

dannyjb

well where it looks to be coming from is the bottom left of the radiator, looks like theres a black plastic pipe there im going to check it out next week in work, take under guard off and see what i can find... and thanks for that willf :icon_thumright: