Coolant leak S3

amit87

Reaction score
HI guys. I know there are threads on this but just if anyone looks.

I have a 2014 Audi S3 saloon... leaking coolant and no obvious sign of leakage but was filling every 200 or so miles from min to max.

Went in today... turns out need a new water pump. Luckily still under extended warranty.

Hope above helps someone diagnose.

Not good, but glad it's sorted. Funny enough, I had the bonnet open the other day and the coolant seemed low... are they known to drink it? Shouldn't I would think, but maybe the hot weather has had something to do with it...

Reactions: Rob2k68
If there's no visible leak underneath or in the engine bay then its more than likely air in the system.
I had 2 water pumps replaced and coolant expansion tank....then once they bled the system properly and it was topped up, no more problems.

It's been a problem for a few months where I topped up monthly before then slowly got worse then booked in but had a month wait to get a courtesy car so finally went in.

I've read nearly every thread on it on this site and other sites and as @PanamaS3 suggests it's always been 1 or part of the following:

1) water pump
2) expansion tanl
3) expansion tank lid
4) hose to expansion tank
5) coolant hose by rad

Most popular always been a water pump replacement.... seems like a design flaw to me imho.

Their analysis showed a leak at the water pump... diagnosed in about an hour so they're certain it's that in my case.

RS3 saloon out late this year.... my extended warranty runs out Jan 2018... think that's a big enough sign to move on up :)

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Rob2k68
Anyone interested in the POTENTIAL cost (which will be covered by waresnty in my case)

Other (Inv coolant leak. carry out gff and confirm fault with coolant pump)

Required work status
job_status_2@2x.png
REQUIRES URGENT ATTENTION
Quotation price
£687.53 INC. VAT

Anyone interested in the POTENTIAL cost (which will be covered by waresnty in my case)

Other (Inv coolant leak. carry out gff and confirm fault with coolant pump)

Required work status
job_status_2@2x.png
REQUIRES URGENT ATTENTION
Quotation price
£687.53 INC. VAT

Cripes lucky it’s under warranty !!

I can well believe it though it’s pretty well buried in the engine bay.

Reactions: amit87
I got a warning light only last week whilst driving and turns out my car is losing coolant as well with no obvious signs of a leak. Going in at the end of the month and thankfully under warranty.

I got a warning light only last week whilst driving and turns out my car is losing coolant as well with no obvious signs of a leak. Going in at the end of the month and thankfully under warranty.
if they empty and refill your system they have to drive it a bit then refill after its cooled down (best left overnight) and next day refill....gets rid of air

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Benji34
if they empty and refill your system they have to drive it a bit then refill after its cooled down (best left overnight) and next day refill....gets rid of air

Fingers crossed this sorts it. It's booked in for a two day stint as I've also identified a knocking noise from the N/S front corner when cornering over uneven surfaces.

I think they are aware of the coolant issue... they suggested 2 days for me too when I said collar leak... I guess 1st day diagnose, confirm it's water pump and then order it. 2nd day to fit the delivered water pump.

Reactions: Benji34 and Rob2k68
Looks like our 15 plate S3 has the same issue.
It's having the oil service done and has been picked up by the health check.
I've not noticed anything tbh but apparently it has lost a little coolant and there are some antifreeze marks underneath.
Something else to add to the to do list befote the warranty runs out!

I had this sorted on my previous S3. It’s a known fault the dealer seemed reluctant to discuss the problem in any detail as if they were embarrassed about the whole thing.

Had the same issue one year ago. The EPC light went on and I smelled coolant outside the car with hot engine. Pressurised the car overnight they found leakage but I did not notice on the floor because it remained on the engine bottom panel.

Changed the coolant pump and the regulator too.

Thinking back to August, we had a warning on the dash regarding coolant level while we were on the way down to Wales on holiday. It was only slightly low and I'd forgotten all about it tbh.
There are apparently white dried coolant marks on the pipework when you look up from underneath.
I'd also say if it wasn't for the "free health check" I probably wouldn't have noticed it and been out of warranty so we'll done to York Audi for the attention to detail

Reactions: T-800