1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facelift Coolant leak around bottle

kpm278 Aug 11, 2018 at 12:29 AM

1. kpm278

kpm278 New Member

Hi

I have a 2014 tdi 2.0 that intermittently empties its coolant bottle. I can see coolant around the bottle/engine mount area and on the bottom engine cover/splash shield. I removed the pipes and bottle and looked for splits but all good. I filled it back up and monitored and it stayed level for a couple of days until tonight when it emptied again.

I’ve read caps can go naff and is a straightforward replacement obviously. Is there anything else common I should look at?

Thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User Audi A6 Audi A3 Audi Avant Owner Group quattro S tronic S-line owners group

Most likely the system is over pressurised and it's emptying the coolant out that way. Go for a drive and see how much pressure is in the system, the coolant pipes should have a good amount of pressure but if they are rock hard then somehow excess pressure is getting into the system. This could be down to waterpump, stat or even head gasket.

4. kpm278

kpm278 New Member

Thanks for the info. Did 175 miles without really losing any, but then noticed a bit around the bottle after another 30 miles. Coolant pipes were still squishy after 175 miles. Next step I’ll wrap some tissue around the ends of the pipes and under the bottle and see what gets wet first.

Water pump was changed a couple of months back. I noticed they didn’t fasten one of the pipe clips back on but made no difference when I fixed that.

Tags: