Coolant leak and TPMS system error

pat15312

Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't often create new threads but I thought my recent situation might provide useful insight for others.

I've got an S3 that was delivered in December 2013. My car has felt like it's had a tyre pressure warning light on it for most of its life, however I have attributed this to the number flats and punctures that I've unfortunately incurred over the last 16 months.

More recently though (last 6 months), I've had a generic TPMS error message come up a couple of times. I believed this was due to the sheer frequency of tyre pressure messages i.e. the system thinking there must be something fundamentally wrong. It's an easy warning light to clear through the MMI, so I just ignored it.

On a totally unrelated note, about 4 weeks ago I received the rather alarming "stop engine now" message, which I quickly learnt was linked with coolant leakage. I topped up with expansion tank with OEM coolant mix and booked the car in with my local Audi dealership.

The car has now been with them since yesterday morning. After performing the necessary checks and an overnight coolant pressure test, the technicians have confirmed that there is a problem with the fuel pump and it will need replacing. Unfortunately there is currently a back order on this part (I imagine because of the high number of failures), meaning I might not get my car back for 10 DAYS! I've been given a pretty decent spec A6 Avant as a loaner, so I'm not that bothered...

The technicians have also been looking into the TPMS issue. This began with trying to install an "update" which is specific to the S3, which would not adapt correctly. Further investigation found this to be (curiously) linked to an underlying issue the steering rack. I can only imagine this must be related to the "Park Assist" option I specified - serves me right for being lazy I guess.

So generally, one poorly little car right now! Most would be worried, but I have no reason to doubt my local dealership (Sytner owned) won't be able to totally rectify all outstanding issues...

I'll keep this thread updated for the benefit of anybody that may be expediting similar problems.

Update.

Got the car back yesterday - was glad to have it back!

Good news is that everything appears to be fixed now. They also conducted a check of the headlight breather grommets, something which I understand there is a workshop notice about at the moment.

I also checked the tracker and found that nobody had been taking the car out for a joyrides... always a bonus! :)

Bad news is that my valeter has found that the dealership have somehow managed to strip the lacquer off all four of my wheels! They have also removed some of the Gtechniq protection off the front bumper, which I imagine will be because the front bumper had to come off to replace the water pump.

Disappointingly this is after I had the customer services advisor write "***DO NOT WASH***" on the workshop paperwork, something which I also have reiterated several times during our correspondence over the last week and a half.

So they dealership will be getting an earful in the morning! I estimate they have done easily £500 worth of damage to the car which is ridiculous... When I got car I had to have practically EVERY body panel resprayed to remove the scratches that the idiot pre-delivery team put into the car, something which Audi where completely not interested in compensating me for as I didn't pick it up during handover.

I am seriously losing faith in Audi, something which I find difficult to admit as I am a bit of a VAG fanboy. I'm massively p*ssed off at the moment...

Update.

Got the car back yesterday - was glad to have it back!

Good news is that everything appears to be fixed now. They also conducted a check of the headlight breather grommets, something which I understand there is a workshop notice about at the moment.

I also checked the tracker and found that nobody had been taking the car out for a joyrides... always a bonus! :)

Bad news is that my valeter has found that the dealership have somehow managed to strip the lacquer off all four of my wheels! They have also removed some of the Gtechniq protection off the front bumper, which I imagine will be because the front bumper had to come off to replace the water pump.

Disappointingly this is after I had the customer services advisor write "***DO NOT WASH***" on the workshop paperwork, something which I also have reiterated several times during our correspondence over the last week and a half.

So they dealership will be getting an earful in the morning! I estimate they have done easily £500 worth of damage to the car which is ridiculous... When I got car I had to have practically EVERY body panel resprayed to remove the scratches that the idiot pre-delivery team put into the car, something which Audi where completely not interested in compensating me for as I didn't pick it up during handover.

I am seriously losing faith in Audi, something which I find difficult to admit as I am a bit of a VAG fanboy. I'm massively p*ssed off at the moment...

Oh man, I really feel for you there. Bad enough to have those faults let alone further issues when you collect.

I can't be the only one who recently ordered who's getting increasingly worried about picking up their pride and joy covered in scratches. It seems to be happening more and more.

As consumers why the f*ck are we putting up with it? I know I have the option to have a car detailer deal with it but why the ****** hell should I spend hundreds of pounds extra for something the dealer should be capable of doing properly in the first place.

Why are they scratching everyone's cars? Is it total incompentence, not the right equipment, or just cleaning far too many motors without rinsing out and cleaning up before moving to the next? Is it just Audi or are all dealerships ****** useless?

I'm not as OCD as some when it comes to the finish, just too impractical for me, but surely it isn't asking much to have your car start in perfect condition.

How many here would put up with buying anything else that's covered in scratches and yet a car is the second most expensive purchase for most of us. Beggars belief to be honest.

Picked up my Daytona Grey A3 last week. Checked the paintwork thoroughly at the dealers and pleased to say not a mark or swirl on it. Same for my last A3 I collected 2 years previously.

So some dealers (Slough for example) are more than capable of doing it properly. If you're worried then I'd pop in and look at some of the cars in their showroom, it'll give you an idea of the quality of their washing / prepping

Reactions: Simon L
That's good to hear :)

Maybe it's just the age-old adage that you only get to hear about the ones that went wrong, although there does seem to be quite a few of them.

I just think this is something that not only Audi but all dealers should be really hot on. Even one **** up when your spending this much is too many.

Another update.

The customer services person who was assigned to me has now had pictures. She will be speaking to the service manager when he gets back next week to discuss what they are prepared to do.

I had my coolant warning light come on at the weekend. I topped it up and all was well, now it's occurred to me, why had I lost what I thought was a very small amount of coolant... so I just checked the level again and it's fallen back to near the minimum. QED, I am losing coolant and at an increasing rate. Car is booked into Audi next week for its first inspection service (@19,000 miles), so will get them to look at that. Seems to be a common fault as soon as I mentioned it to Audi, when booking the car in, they said, oh, water pump - yeah - an S3 - yeah, had a few of those come in... oh dear ...

Last edited:
Just an update for this issue. I went last week to Audi because i had the same warning light for second time. It needs just a refill but the leaking is a real thing somewhere. One of the updates they gave to me for A3/S3 models is that the Max line is now over the mark in the reservoir, just in the plastic sewing. There´s a technical explanation for that with the angles the coolant touch the sensor when driving, but i´m not convinced as it still leaking. They report the issue for the case online with the ECU parameters and that was it.
At least they ask me first if thecar was flashed before doing this, if it is, they told me to recover stock mode, but i have DTUK tuning box so there was no problem.

Just thought I'd post a bit of an update on this...

The service manager eventually got back to me after leaving a couple of messages with various people. When he eventually got round to calling me, I was angered by the suggestion that the car be brought back to them for inspection before proceeding; why should I have to waste more of my own time?

He was pretty weak and quickly reversed this suggestion and agreed to arrange for the car to be collected from my work, with a Q5 courtesy car being offered to sweeten me up. He stated they would look to have all four wheels repaired FOC.

My car was collected on Tuesday 5th May, which will be three weeks ago after the Bank Holiday. I have called, without exaggeration, half a dozen time to find out when the car will be ready to collect. Every time my telephone messages have been ignored... I have been left totally in the dark communications wise.

Has anyone got any suggestions how to escalate this? I've read before that writing emails to various big shots at Audi UK tends to get things done. I've got to say that I'm severely disappointed with Audi Nottingham (a Sytner dealership), to the extent that I'll be slagging them off to anyone that will listen for years to come.

What is it with some Audi dealers?

Do they not want to keep the brand in good light?!

Another update... as if this could get any worse?!?

So first thing the morning after my last post, I get a phone call from the service manager. He says that they're very sorry there has been such a delay and that nobody has communicated with me. Apparently the number the receptionists have taken down each time I've rang was incorrect (yeh yeh...), which is why he hasn't been able to get hold of me.

Anyways, he says that the wheels are all back and they look mint EXCEPT FOR ONE which has got a small nick on it... They had wanted to get the car back to me last Friday, however because of this damage they need to get the wheel refurbished AGAIN. I am told this will be expedited and that I will get my car back the following Thursday i.e. today.

I was due to have a meeting with a large client today, however I moved some stuff around to make sure I was in the office as I'm DESPERATE to get my car back; I have hated every minute of the loaner Q5 I've been driving... I was expecting for someone to arrive at around 10am, however the hours kept rolling by. Finally at around 3pm I get a phone all from my partner. She's had a call from Audi to say the car won't be being exchanged today and that no timescale has been provided. As you can imagine, I'm livid at this point...

The lady in the service dept, who has purposely avoided calling me, gets an ear-ending but I feel somewhat sorry for her as The ever elusive service manager is on annual leave AGAIN and she's been left to pick up the pieces. I request that the situation gets escalated to the dealership principal and await a call back.

This guy is not at all helpful... He has been given half stories by various people and is not in a position to provide assistance without going away and getting the full picture. Regardless of his lack of knowledge, he is determined to challenge my take on how events have unfolded. An unpleasant conversation ensues, with him putting the phone down me. Admittedly I did swear at him (a faux-pas on my part) however it was not directed at him and frankly I feel I'm well within my rights to express how p*ssed off I am at this point!

The dealer manager attempts to call me back a couple of times but by now I'm already on the phone to Audi UK to give them the whole chapter and verse of what has happened. Subsequently the case has been escalated and I am waiting for a case manager to contact me within the next 48 hours.

I do eventually take his call a few hours later. He has got a more complete picture of the events and has backed right down... I am told the car will now be back to me on Tuesday as they are going to expedite the final wheel being refurbed.

So there we go. The whole things has put me in doubt as to wether or not Audi is the marque for me. I can't describe how disappointed I am by this experience.