1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Coolant flush fail

JohnStan725 Oct 31, 2015

1. JohnStan725

JohnStan725 Registered User

So I believe my car is now about to blow up. I flushed coolant using the tap at the bottom of the radiator, topped up with new coolant and since then the coolant just disappears and smoke now comes from the engine bay someone told me it's the temp sensor which is jammed not allowing the coolant to pass through thus it overflowing and boiling out. Any one have any help for me?!

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Alan Gunn

Alan Gunn Registered User

Sounds like you have air in the system.
    How much coolant did it take to refill it ?.
    You need to bleed the air out.

4. JohnStan725

Alan I hope your right! I filled it up about 2.7litre, however it just kept taking more and more I think it just boiled it and came out the expansion tank, as I used well over 8 litres and it was just spitting it back out. What's the best way to bleed it?

5. Alan Gunn

Not sure on your car but i pull one of the heater hoses off just a bit when filling then run the car on tic-over with the cap off and top up when it drops.

6. JohnStan725

Thanks! I guess I'll give it a shot sucks as I have no coolant left to fill it up with any heater hose will do?

7. Alan Gunn

Yes one of the 2 going to the matrix just below the windscreen i take off.

8. Gops

Gops Badger 5 Edition VCDS Map User

Did you use g13?

9. JohnStan725

Gops I did use g13, is this the right one as g12 wasn't easy to source?

10. Tom93

Tom93 Registered User

Drain, refill, run with the cap off, put the cap back on, drive, top up after cooled down.

11. JohnStan725

Thanks Tom will have to wait for more coolant to come and give it another go probably didn't wait for it to cool down haha

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Tom93

Tom93 Registered User

So you were taking the cap off engine hot and all the coolant promptly wooshed out? And then you were refilling?

14. JohnStan725

So basically topped up drove it pulled up checked it and they was no coolant in the tank topped up waited put cap back on drove a little was steaming and then nothing in there carried on to top it up at least used 5 litre doing this lol was a fail

15. Tom93

Tom93 Registered User

Sure you dont have a leak?

16. JohnStan725

Tom I've took out the expansion tank checked for cracks and split hoses nothing which I can see sits fine in the car until I drive it

17. Stuart B

Stuart B Registered User

I know this is ancient thread, but....

I flushed the coolant and used a "speed flush" chemical to try and clear out the heater matrix and get some real heat instead of luke warm - but struggled to get much more than 2 litres back in, now it is a regular feature on the dial to go from 70-81 degrees (1/3 - 1/2 on dial) - I am sure it is an air lock.

I have run it with
    no cap
    no cap revving
    with cap
    with cap revving
    taking cap off whilst hot (no explosion of water and steam)
    leaving cap on whilst cooling
    leaving cap off whilst cooling
    pumping the top radiator hose
    etc etc

is there a cheat to try and bleed it like 90% of the other cars in the world?

it may all be because of the "head gasket fix" liquid I put in last year which might have narrowed a channel to the heater matrix as when I was flushing through I couldn't run a slow hose into the expansion tank and watch it come out the lower radiator - it was just slow to drip through.

Thanks and Happy New Year

we are all #winners