Coolant dripping out, help with part/advice near lower radiator connector pls

Sarah's A3

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid
Reaction score
Hey guys after some advise please. (Karma eh Ads lol after my teasing you!) :friends:

ok, drove the car this afternoon and all fine 'til I got home and saw some fluid underneath. Not too much but enough to notice. Nice and pink so I know its coolant. Not having any pit etc to use here tried to jack up the front and remove the undertray (not easy even though i'm small) and had a good look underneath.

There seems to be leakage from the 'Y' connector into the bottom of the radiator. It can be moved which obviously lets more fluid out. All there seems to be holding it on it a circlip, is this right or do I have something missing as it doesnt seem enough to get a good seal. Do you know if this is a weak point or can it be an issue with the radiator at this point or is it an 'O' ring inside. The car was in a container for many weeks during shipment and I know there were large fluctuations in temperatures during that time depending where it was in relation to the equator so i'm wondering if something has perished or just come off since i've started using him.

Any help/advise really appreciated and if anyone knows the part numbers for the clip/ Y piece (think it has the sensor on) I would really appreciate that too so I can see what the stealers here charge.

Thanks in advance

Sarah

Hi s

From what i can see tere seems to be a o ring inside the conector and a u shape spring outside to hold the conector on........seems strange but maybe it allows for a bit of movement. My guess is your o ring has gone ??...dificult to tell from over here :)

x

Cheers P, so is it possible that Audi would have a replacement o ring? Could be interesting convo with the local Audi dealership here lol, they dont have much regard for women....... if not I may be asking you send send me one over!

Yep, looks like the only other parts between your 'y' bit and the radiator is an 'o' ring ("round seal" part no. N90765301)

n-90765301.jpg

...and 'u' retainer (part no. 1J0121142).

041326.jpg

And if that fails, just make sure you fill up your coolant to the max line. Or was it to the seam?? Or plastic line bit? ;)

Cheers Ads, my hero. Really appreciate the part nos. lol, choose a line and fill it to that eh, shame mines almost empty now!!!

Sorry S
Off line while i commute :) Ads is right..thats the O ring i was think of, i think its 32mm ?, easy to fit but you will have to drain the system ( bad luck ) :)

Off topic but drop me a line with your postal address some time, i have 6 brand new coils if you want them. I know you changed them before but a spare set might be handy :) no charge as its you :thumbsup:

TBH you need to remove the connection to work out what the leak is, I'd drain it down & have a nosey as its got to come of anyway & iirc on mine it was a real pita to remove, stuck on there like glue with the seal it has.

Cheers Nige. Its practically drained now lol Was there anything that helped to get it off?? Any tips?? Im assuming you didnt have to take the bumper off, I know its tight but think I can get to it once jacked up.

Elbow grease, really was a fecker to remove iirc, I had bumper of anyway, but guess you could try with it on yes.

If you can wobble it and it leaks coolant then it is only the o ring holding it so try a liberal dose of WD40 up the gap once you have drained it :)

Cheers Nige, will try with the bumper on first.

Ooohh P I have a big can of WD40 so will blast a load up. Got the 2 bits and replacement coolant I need from the local VW dealership, really helpful too, sadly unlike the Audi Dealership. Seems they are struggling getting the Auzzies to buy VW but once caught they are hooked!