Coolant bleed screw

tonyjohnson

Reaction score
ok, i have decided to change my thermostat on my 225 engine, (what a b*tch) but the bottom hose will not warm up now it is stone cold, does anyone know if there are any bleed screws to get the air out. regards tony

As far as I know, you don't need to bleed the system as such like a brake system. Simply loosen the coolant reservoir cap (use a rag on it if the engine has been running to avoid steamy hands!) and run the engine and the coolant will be pumped through and any air released when the coolant re-enters the reservoir.

When you no longer have air bubbling back into the reservoir intake then you can tighten up the cap again.

the bottom hose leading from the thermostat housing to bottom of rad?
the thermostat wont open untill engine is up to full temp, so let this happen and see, if its still cold then keep kneeding the pipes to get any air locks out, as far as im aware there isnt a bleed valve, just gotta stick at it with the kneeding if pipes

i was kneeding the pipes for about an hour the fans where on, there must be a lot of air in there.

yer mate, when i done a flush a few weeks ago took me best part of an hour to get all the air out, unfortunately i didnt have the cap on the header tank when the air lock surfaced, looked like a mini volcano lol

i had this trouble after changeing my thermostat it was a nightmare to get all the air out, ended up taking it to audi to get id drained and replaced.
They said they have terrible problems with 1.8t engines and with a special vac pump sometimes take 2/3 attempts to do it

There is a bleed screw by one of the pipes that goes into the bottom of the rad on the passenger side I think, thats how I usually drain the system, may be worth checking out?

There is a bleed screw by one of the pipes that goes into the bottom of the rad on the passenger side I think, thats how I usually drain the system, may be worth checking out?

yer but its such a poxy little drain plug its way easier and quicker to actually whip that bottom hose off the rad and drain it that way

regarding getting the air out the system, going through all that hassle again is not something i want to do again in ahurry, arms ached for days afterwards lol