1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool box / fridge info ??

Tiger-G Jul 11, 2018

1. Tiger-G

Tiger-G Member

Hi,

After a recent wild camping trip in the summer heatwave, and experiencing liquid butter and chocolate, I wondered if anyone had any experience / info on cool boxes or fridges working off the 12v boot socket ?? Do they work and keep stuff cool enough, do they drain the battery, etc ??

Cheers,
    Graeme.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 Black Edition quattro S tronic

I bought one of these from Halfords a while back. It has a 12V plug for the car, as well as a mains lead with step down transformer with a 12V socket. That means it can be used in the house and the car. I love it; it keeps stuff extremely cool. As for draining the battery, I keep mine plugged into the boot socket for long journeys. From memory, that's an ignition live socket, so there's no power drain when the engine's switched off.

4. Jon B

Jon B Member

Use one for work all the time. Works a charm on the boot socket and as said only works when ignition is on so no battery issue.

5. Tiger-G

Tiger-G Member

Thanks for the replies, are they cool boxes or fridges ?? Wonder if it's worth the extra money for a dedicated fridge ??

6. A4A4

A4A4 Shiny Daytona

If you feeling flush then audi sell one for around £160. For a cool box............... LOL

[​IMG]

7. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 Black Edition quattro S tronic

Not sure I see a distinction there. It’s a box for keeping stuff cold: sounds like a fridge to me, just smaller.

8. Tiger-G

Tiger-G Member

I was reading up on the GoOutdoors website about them and it sounds like there are some differences between the two. It says powered coolboxes can't cool warm food down and don't keep things cool forever, where as a dedicated fridge does. Just wondered which one people had, and if it did a good job:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/expert-advice/coolboxes-and-fridges-guide

9. Tiger-G

Tiger-G Member

Ha, don't laugh, there'll be people out there who've bought one !! :tonguewink: