Converting symphony II antenna system use with RNSe

Great stuff. You could always hit that Thanks button!

oopps, i keep forgetting about that magic button.

I'm bad........:)

Hello @all
Did the change myself worked like a charm!
Thanks a lot John finally no poor reception and NO fault codes!!!

If anyone is interested i got my "old" 8P4 035 225D and 8P4 035 225C for sale!!!

I have part number "8P4 035 225 Lower Antenna Amp" for sale if anyone is interested?

I rushed out and bought it because I intended ordering an S3 a couple of months ago. I got it from my local scrappie for £40+VAT - but as John says above - they retail at £150.

If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I can get it sent out. Just now its sitting in my spare room! If no one is interested I'll take it back to the scrappie and get my cash back minus their 15% restocking fee!!

Hi
Hope someone can help me do this conversion the opposite way around as i'm upgrading from an early 06 to a 07 model stereo

I have the upper amp like this which has 2 plugs in but no aerial type connector as in the newer version as below

pre06upperamp.jpg

06upperamp.jpg

How do i get around this?

Also my existing lower amp has 3 aerial type connectors and the newer version has 2 - is there a cable i need to buy to run from the left over 1 to the other amp?

100_0507.jpg

cheers

You want the old top and bottom amps, looks like you may have already bought these. Then connect the yellow fakra from the bottom amp to the top amp using a 1m female to female fakra with a 30cm male to male plugged into it.

Parts required-
8P4 035 225D lower amp
8P4 035 225C top amp
000 098 652 1m female to female Fakra cable
000 098 692 30 cm male to male Fakra adaptor

Last edited:
You want the old top and bottom amps, looks like you may have already bought these. Then connect the yellow fakra from the bottom amp to the top amp using a 1m female to female fakra with a 30cm male to male plugged into it.

Parts required-
8P4 035 225D lower amp
8P4 035 225C top amp
000 098 652 1m female to female Fakra cable
000 098 692 30 cm male to male Fakra adaptor

Thanks John
i'm fitting a 07 stereo to replace a 06 unit - iso to quadlock so it's the opposite procedure to what you've done

I'm left with the amp on the left which has 1 male output less than my current and the small amp has a male output instead of the current plug connector, do i plug the 000 098 652 1m female to female Fakra cable into the bottom amp and run it to the top and use the 000 098 692 30 cm male to male Fakra adaptor to connect the 2 together?
What do i do with the 3 wire plug which i take out of the old small amp? (pic below is old amp fitted with new later model underneath)
100_0509.jpg

Thanks John
i'm fitting a 07 stereo to replace a 06 unit - iso to quadlock so it's the opposite procedure to what you've done
Yep, I got that part, but this thread is about the antenna system. An RNSe wiring adapter will fix the power/CAN/speaker connections to the back of the headunit.

I'm left with the amp on the left which has 1 male output less than my current and the small amp has a male output instead of the current plug connector, do i plug the 000 098 652 1m female to female Fakra cable into the bottom amp and run it to the top and use the 000 098 692 30 cm male to male Fakra adaptor to connect the 2 together?
Not quite. You want the male end of the 30cm extension lead to connect to the female yellow fakra which was previously on the bottom amp. Then use the 1m female to female to reach the new top amp.

What do i do with the 3 wire plug which i take out of the old small amp? (pic below is old amp fitted with new later model underneath)
This is only used to connect your old amps together, you can just tape it out of the way.

HTH

Last edited:
Thanks John - leads ordered today so should get this fitted this week :icon_thumright:

1 more question - the new 07 stereo is from a car with BOSE and i don't have it, do i need to disable this feature somehow or is it ok as it is?

Thanks for all your help

I think you'll be OK, but double check that the wiring in the adapter is correct.

Well got the stereo and harness today so thought i'd have a go at fitting ti

When the stereo is plugged in it makes a noise like it's checking the CDs for a few seconds then goes quiet - there's nothing on the display and pressing any buttons doesn't do anything either?
if i unplug it and reconnect it just does the same - i can't get anything on the display so can't enter the code?

Only thing i thought of is the new harness has 4 ISO blocks but my car has 3, is the other 1 for steering wheel controls (i don't have them)? also if the stereo is powered up (live/ earth) then the display should come on shouldn't it?

Fantastic, you're my idol john - plugged a wire into DI-SENS and joined it to 12V and "it's alive" :icon_thumright:

Thanks for your help John :respekt:

If anyone's still after a fix for this at a reduced price, then I have the full kit for sale. Removed from my A3 before I sold it.

Kit consists of a fully assembled wiring loom and upper/lower amplifiers. Simple plug and play installation.

Drop me a PM if interested.

John are you still making the looms per chance? I figure from what everyone has said that its a given that i'm going to lose my radio signal.... so might aswell do this mod in prep of the RNS-E arriving

You won't loose the signal, but it may be degraded, it depends on the reception in your area.
Yes I can make up a loom for you, drop me a PM.

Read through this thread like 3 times and still cant figure it it and other threads just say there will be a loss in reception but don't say how to fix it.
I have a 2005 A3 and I replaced my Symphony II with an RNSE with the quadlock adaptor and coded it, everything is perfect apart from the radio reception.
Is there anything I can do to fix the degraded reception?

Last edited:
If you actually read the thread you should have picked up the fact that this relates to the Symphony II (sometimes called a II+) unit found in 2007 and later cars.

The loss in reception MIGHT effect you IF you fit an RNSe to a 2007 or later car which came from the factory with a Symphony II AND have patchy FM reception in your area.

As your car is a 2005 it should have the correct amps in the boot so this thread is of no use to you.

Did you connect BOTH antennas on the back of the RNSe when it was fitted? Failing that I suggest you check your amps/cables water damage and the rear screen antennas for cuts/scratches or other damage.

I did pick up the fact it was for cars 07+ but was confused since ther was no mention of earlier cars.
I connected everything up using the correct adaptors, seams as if its down to the radio reception in the area then.
Ill also have a look at the other things you mentioned.
Cheers.

Check your diversity adapter mate, maybe post pics of your rear wiring so we can check for you if like.

Well this is the adaptor i bought, connected the gps and radio antenna to it. Its odd because the radio works fine just not as strong as before i installed the unit, i used to never loose reception now it sometimes cuts out or cant pick up stations.
audi_rns_adapter_iso_a4_a3_a6.jpg

Latest coding shows no errors from the radio either.

Latest scan shows this:
00-Steering Angle Sensor -- Status: OK 0000
01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Malfunction 0010
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
15-Airbags -- Status: Malfunction 0010
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
37-Navigation -- Status: Not registered 0001
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
55-Xenon Range -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
76-Park Assist -- Status: OK 0000
77-Telephone -- Status: OK 0000
7D-Aux. Heat -- Status: OK 0000

But navigation has now been enabled and the error didnt come up again (it wasn't ticked in the options list)

Last edited:
Just installed mk2 RNS-E to my MY2011 A3 and as expected, the radio reception is poor.

000 098 652A 1.5m female to female Fakra cable (you can get away with a 1m cable, 000 098 652) (�12)
000 098 692 30 cm male to male Fakra adaptor (�12)
8P4 035 225B Upper antenna amp (�14)
8P4 035 225 Lower antenna amp (�150)
1C0 973 119B Three pin connector housing x2 (�1.50 each)
000 979 009 Repair wires x3 (�1.20 each, cut them in half to give 6 wires)

Are these the correct parts also for MY2011 or has Audi changed them? Wouldn't suprise me at all if they'd changed the system...again :think:

I can source this kit if you like & send over to you.

Sounds good. Could you please email my as I don't have enough posts for PMs yet. tuomail [AT] hotmail . com Thanks!

Just installed mk2 RNS-E to my MY2011 A3 and as expected, the radio reception is poor.

Are these the correct parts also for MY2011 or has Audi changed them? Wouldn't suprise me at all if they'd changed the system...again :think:

Hi,

I also have a 2011 Audi S3. But I actually went ahead and bought the parts late last year, only to find that the lower antenna amp only had 2 connections instead of the 3.

So would be very interested to see if there is a set of new parts required for the Audi S3, 2011 onwards.

Any update on this?

Thanks!

Just connect the 2 coaxial wires, seems the newer cars have removed the connection for the remote locking systems from the upper boot lid large amp, I hazard a guess its been integrated into other CE module parts, I came across similar thing yesterday where it had only 1 coaxial connector, but also found a coding option saying it had diversity antenna system, so will check & report back, but it worked fine when I upgraded antenna system & installed rns-e.

Just connect the 2 coaxial wires, seems the newer cars have removed the connection for the remote locking systems from the upper boot lid large amp, I hazard a guess its been integrated into other CE module parts, I came across similar thing yesterday where it had only 1 coaxial connector, but also found a coding option saying it had diversity antenna system, so will check & report back, but it worked fine when I upgraded antenna system & installed rns-e.

Quick update - issue found on my install:

As stated earlier, I have retrofitted the rns-e and the antenna fix on my 2011 S3 in August last year. However I still had the ZF Open Circuit error when scanned with the VCDS. I assumed this was because the number of fakra connectors going to the lower amp was different (1 instead of 2 before antenna fix).

However, had a thorough check after reading NHN's reply and ruled out everything at the back - new wirings, upper and lower amps are OK. The issue in my case was actually the RNS-E. The dual fakra connector socket on the RNS-E is faulty and have partial continuity to the board. Not sure when this broke, but 1 of the 2 plastic pins holding the connector to the board had been snapped off.

I have manipulated the plug for now, and the ZF open circuit error is now gone and the radio signal is excellent.

I will be looking for a broken concert headunit on ebay and will transplant a good connector onto the RNS-E. ALOT of screws will have to come off from the look of things, but I'm not the type to be happy with a dodgy fix.

IN CONCLUSION, THIS ANTENNA FIX STILL APPLIES FOR THE NEWER A3/S3 (2011).

John, as usual, you are a legend! :yahoo:

cheers for the info.

will get some prices, and give it ago:)

hello scottie.

did you do what john said and did it work? because i am having excact same problem.. i changed my sym ii double din to a concert ii+ on my 56 plate A3 3 door and the radio works for like 10 seconds as you said then would just stop working after. so yeah did it work doing what john said and how easy was it?

cheers kai

John, as usual, you are a legend! :yahoo:

cheers for the info.

will get some prices, and give it ago:)

hello scottie.

did you do what john said and did it work? because i am having excact same problem.. i changed my sym ii double din to a concert ii+ on my 56 plate A3 3 door and the radio works for like 10 seconds as you said then would just stop working after. so yeah did it work doing what john said and how easy was it?

cheers kai

Latest prices fro my dealer as of this morning :-

The total cost £173.21 inc VAT and postage.
1J0 972 977 G £4.39
000 098 652 £13.00
000 098 692 £16.66
8P4 035 225 B £20.12
8P4 035 225 £114.17
1C0 973 119 B £2.06
000 979 009 E £2.21 superceded part number from 000 979 009

Those prices are not correct, those are not rrp, so they are discounted which not all counters will do.

I did this mod with john S3's advice a couple of years ago. -Just chipping-in to say thanks again... and that John Rocks. Hard.

Reception is now excellent, and for anyone in the United States of short-attention-span looking to do this; the parts are MUCH less expensive at UK parts counters compared to US parts counters.

Those prices are not correct, those are not rrp, so they are discounted which not all counters will do.

I didn't realise he was giving me a discount but he is a top bloke and goes out of his way to help. It's not a local dealer but one I first made contact with through eBay - even with postage it makes it worthwhile as I know I'm getting the right part first time and he sends me ETKA screenshots if there are any doubts.

Ok change of plan with the RNS-E due to just buying some new wheels and tyres !!

All parts needed for this install as shown in post #74 brand new never fitted £150 posted to UK or extra to ROW.

PM me if interested.

So gents, if you swap an RNS-e for a Concert HU do you not get this issue, is it exclusive to the Symphony?

Last edited:
You get antenna issue with every unit fitted with quadlock thats not an rns-e, so yes, concert, symphony & chorus will have the issues also auxin rewiring if fitted & coding has to be done.