Converting Mps to Kms on Audi A3

Christelle Mackie

Reaction score
I’ve bought a Audi A3 8P 2004 3dr 2L TDI hatchback and somehow didn’t realise when I bought it that the dash was in miles!!

The car is an import and I live in Australia and go by kilometres, the dash cluster does show kms but it’s very small and hard to see and I don’t think my model has a digital speedometer.

I’ve seen that you can buy a new dash cluster but it’s $300 AUD second hand I don’t know if you can just simply swap the dash cluster on these cars and would probably have to get the speedo recalibrated??

I was thinking of just changing the faces on the dash but I can’t find anything.

Please help! :(

I'd swap the dash faces personally

Reactions: abmat
You just need a dash with the kmh larger than mph.
On mine there is a button under the wiper stalk i press to get the large speedo in the middle

How do I get that?, I’m almost certain mine doesn’t have the large speedo in the middle, the only thing the button on the bottom of the stalk does is bring up the menu

Or buy some broken clocks and try and get the face out of them. Pretty sure you cant get speed in the DIS on a '04

Press the bottom button twice in a row and the Speedo will appear. If you press it again and get to menu, change it to kms and litres. Just saw abmats post, dunno about that, he could be right

My 2011 S3 will toggle between miles and km.

In the DIS switch, go into settings then to units. May be a model year thing.

a used mph cluster is cheap and can be programmed by a local dealer. dont know if the govt allows for a miles waiver and certificate as the miles cant be changed. However, from what I remember the km/h are pretty easy. 40, 50, 80 and 100 km/h are the most common limits. 40 near schools, 50 in the metro, 80 urban divided roads and 100 rural. easy to remember around 25 mph, 30 mph, 50 mph and 60 mph. FYI for a fun topic to discuss during GTG's, i have a km cluster and live in a mph world. After a while the mind converts the difference easy peasy. But if you must then...
https://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/dials/mph/audi/a-models/a3/8p/petrol.html

a used mph cluster is cheap and can be programmed by a local dealer. dont know if the govt allows for a miles waiver and certificate as the miles cant be changed. However, from what I remember the km/h are pretty easy. 40, 50, 80 and 100 km/h are the most common limits. 40 near schools, 50 in the metro, 80 urban divided roads and 100 rural. easy to remember around 25 mph, 30 mph, 50 mph and 60 mph. FYI for a fun topic to discuss during GTG's, i have a km cluster and live in a mph world. After a while the mind converts the difference easy peasy. But if you must then...
https://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/dials/mph/audi/a-models/a3/8p/petrol.html

YES THANK YOU!! thats exactly what I needed!!

A new cluster is not easy to install and program. I get so many messages about how I did it and who can help with it. A new cluster is easy but the cost is high.

I documented the retrofit here when I did it to my A3 8P: http://www.lightnings.dk/fis_en.html

After I purchased the “new” cluster it took about 8 months before someone finally said he could do the job!

i purchased a used 2009 for my 2009 on ebay and it was pretty cheap. my tech at dealer set it up in about an hour so my experience is different. He was online with germany and I didnt pay a fortune either at the dealer

Can this be changed on a 2015 S3 (8V) imported car I have just purchased and mileage is in Kilometers but I need it changed to MPH also my sat nav is saying its in japan but I live in UK

Think you can change digital readout in mmi. This will also change odometer to miles not km.

If not do with vcds. To get analogue speedo to read mph will require new clocks or face.

Think you can change digital readout in mmi. This will also change odometer to miles not km.

If not do with vcds. To get analogue speedo to read mph will require new clocks or face.
Yes the dials are in mph but trip is showing kilometers and satnav is showing japan......what is vcds?

Satnav will need uk/‘Europe map

Look in owners manual for how to change mph/kmh. Should be under car setup in mmi.

Hi I have tried to do this on set up mmi but it only lets me change mph on consumption and not the odometer or trip, I cant find any other setting to try

Mmmm. On my A6 C6 I can do this and it changes the digital speedo and odometer from mph to km and Vica versa.

On mmi press menu then go to setup. In units of measurement you should be able to set speed and distance units. This is presuming you have mmi.

https://ownersmanuals2.com/d/71176 Page 22

As you have a 8v I suggest you post in that forum.