Convertible water sloshing (Not scuttle area)

leegsi

Reaction score
We can hear water sloshing noises when we accelerate or brake (Water moving front to back).

The scuttle area is clear and dry.

Are there drain holes in the cill?

You sure your not hearing petrol in the fuel tank

No you can hear it outside the car too and sounds like its in the sills.

If I park it nose down a hill after the road has dried it leaves water under the car but cant see where from as the car is still wet.

I have pulled the plastic jacking bungs off various cars in the past for this, inc drilling a neat 8-10mm hole in the centre to aid draining.

Mine does it too. Its not the doors and its not the plenum chamber. I am pretty sure its the cills. If it doesn't rain for a day it goes away which makes me think its in the cills and the too small drain holes eventually empty. I have looked under carpets etc and its bone dry so no worries. Does sound funny though :)

I need to get it up in the air really and see whats going on

Mine was coming down the inside of the A pillar and also pollen filter housing seal.

Turned out to be water in the sills.

No idea how it got/gets in there but I have now removed one of the bungs on sill halfway along behind the side skirt.

Been hammering down all night so today is the test lol

Reactions: rjm180
The rubber drains from the roof area, go to the sills and if one of the drains is blocked water will collect.. There are 2 at the front top, 2 at the rear top and one on the bottom.. Also if you have a leak in the rear glass water will collect under the carpet, this is very common.

The rubber drains from the roof area, go to the sills and if one of the drains is blocked water will collect.. There are 2 at the front top, 2 at the rear top and one on the bottom.. Also if you have a leak in the rear glass water will collect under the carpet, this is very common.

Interesting, do you mean inside the roof compartment itself ?

if you raise the roof and the boot lid, so they are both pointing up to the sky , the point where the back of the roof has lifted to allow the rear panel to open, and stop it there, you can get access to the section where the hinges are easily. if you look down by the back of the rear quater window you will see a black rubber hollow seal, this is the one which the water goes down from the roof, also on the windscreen side you will see the same seal running from the top of the window down again to the scuttle, and along it various holes, just make seal these are clear

you tend to find at the bottom near the door the holes get blocked so the water doesn't drain..

If the rear glass has a small seperation from the cover to the glass in the corner, then water will get down inside the room compartment and either sit in the back near the rear lights or flow forward under the carpet and insulation and sit in the lowest point which just happens to be in the passenger foot well and houses the ECM for the windows, alarm, roof..etc etc... stupid design if you ask me!

Where are the holes near the door that need unblocking?

Also interested in where these holes are that need unblocking? Any photos to assist?

Any more info on where these sill drainage holes are? I've had water sloshing around after every downpour for months now, can't be good having water sitting in a metal sill. No water getting inside, but same symptoms, hear it sloshing from front to back when braking hard at low speed

Garage said they'd cleared it but it's still happening.. I hear it's hidden under the front and rear wheel arch liners but haven't looked yet?

Fixed it. Finally found the blocked drain hole that was causing the water build up in the sills and causing the sloshing sound on my 2007 cabriolet. There are multiple rubber bungs under the car that are hidden behind the underbody tray that you can pull out to let the water out, but this wasn't the cause and didn't clear all the water. Eventually I found another bung that's supposed to let the water out hidden behind the sill at the very front of the sill just behind the front wheel arch. No need to take off the underbody trim, just 4 screws - 2 in the wheel arch liner at the bottom and two under the corner piece of the sill. Pulling these out let’s the corner sill move enough to get at the rubber bung, pull it out and clean it. Sorted. (Also another bung behind the wheel arch liner that will let water out, but that's not the one).