Convertible A4 roof fault F201 sensor

Roof2

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to troubleshoot and fix my 2003 A4 roof.

It only opened partially then wouldn't close when the Stow cover lid opened. It lifted slightly then gave up.

I sent the hydraulic motor to Merv at Autoelectron for diagnostics but its fine.

Now on VCDS, I have a roof top lid fault F201. Has anyone had this specific problem and fixed it?

Vagpro.com have stated I can take it there for 100 pounds no fix no fee but Leicester is 250 mile round trip and I have no time

All help appreciated
Ally

Attachments

• IMG_20190204_125240.jpg
    IMG_20190204_125240.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 361
I am having this same issue. Posted here

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=382808&share_fid=2376&share_type=t

Mine started off by going down ok and not going up. Now progressed to just opening a fraction and not going down. It does sound like the common motor issue so it's odd that he found nothing wrong. I'm in London and vagpro seems a long way to go for this as well.

I was going to take my motor out and send off as well. Please can you keep me posted if you work out what this is and I'll do the same.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear of your ongoing issues.

Regarding your motor, if its pre 2005, its unlikely to be an issue as this was before they were outsourced to be made in Italy. It takes an hour to remove and will cost 25 quid in return special delivery fees but my advice is to not bother if its pre 05 face-lift and you can hear the motor

I have a good idea where the F201 is and will look for its position this week after resetting error codes

Will let you know how I get on

Thanks mine is a b7 2007 so maybe there is value in checking out the motor. I've found a receipt from when I bought the car (4 years ago) that it had the motor repaired so perhaps it's prone to failing.
Will take out the boot trim when I get a free couple of hours and take a look.

My f201 error seemed to go away after a few manual open closes. I haven't opened for a few weeks so I'll check again at the weekend as well.

Be great to hear any more info you find.

Well worth sending it to him then and for 75 pounds, not a bad price if it lasts 4 more years. He's also a very helpful guy.

It should only take an hour to remove. His instructions are very accurate.

Vagpro were of the opinion that static codes I.e codes when the roof is not in action were not very helpful.

I refitted my motor and tried the roof but now nothing happens except the windows going down.

Need to manually open/close I think

Reactions: DrStrange
Out of curiousity, do you have the Smart top module installed for keyfob opening? I do. Wondered if we both do whether that might be something to check. I checked my box visually and it wasn't displaying any error signs (led was green = functioning correctly).

Yes , the three taps on key fob and roof opens ?

I do but not sure where the box is though. It was installed by the previous owner

Interesting. It's installed left side of back seats. When you take the base of the back seat out (pops out), it's behind the left side wall panel (if you're facing the boot).

Pretty confident it won't be these causing the issue. But nothing to prove that :)

Bought a motor today off ebay. Gonna try replace next weekend. They let you send your old one back for some cash back once it's it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/132956722244

The hood actually worked a few times at the weekend but then failed eventually and I had to manually put back up. Fingers crossed this replacement will solve it.

New motor in and fully working again! Very pleased, hopefully will stay that way for good now. Even get £30 back when I send the old one.

Took about 1.5 hours to do but I needed to go to buy a long 10mm socket half way through as I didn't have one. So if you have all the tools and follow the guides online it's really not a difficult job.

Reactions: DrStrange