Controversial: upgrades without a remap?

randy4

Reaction score
A thought thats bugging me: Is there any point/benefits from applying bolt ons to the RS3 FL without a remap. I know the car's ECU is pretty much massively different from how it manages its power compared to the S3 and the RS3 PFL. In that you will forever be fighting the ECU when applying anything before having a proper remap applied by a reputable tuner. First of all is this true? I seem to have read this in a few places. E.g. a tuning box is pointless and that breathing and exhaust mods don't apply any more ponys until the new map is applied to take advantage of them. Correct me if i'm ill informed...

Now if you had a long term warranty you didn't want to break until the finance has finished, is it worth looking into any minor upgrades? Exhaust/breathing/brakes etc. but obviously not a remap that totally kills any remaining warranty.

List anything you think might be a good suggestion...Cheers all.

You'll absolutely get gains from a tuning box but they're a contentious topic in themselves.

Unless you touch the cat you won't see any benefit from an exhaust.

I doubt you'll see any gains from an intake, maybe something like an eventuri aside. They quote gains on the stock turbo but it isn't clear whether that's to a mapped car, probably is.

The one consistent thing people say is a worthy upgrade even stock is an intercooler though. Whether that nets gains or not I don't know but will allow you to push harder.

I still have 18months warranty left and just bit the bullet and got a remap. At stage 1 from a reputable tuner its a pretty safe bet in my opinion and worth the risk and money! However I've taken the tuning box route in the past.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I've had an MTM in the past on a previous car and saw great gains from it but the ECU was much simplier to fool. Having had sucha great experience with MTM i was shocked to hear how terrible it is on on the RS. But i've let that option go now - i don't want to fight this ECU not at the value of the car and the risks. I'd probably have a remap one day but once the finance has finished in 2+ years. So far i'm completely stock bar some cosmetic changes. the cooler sounds interesting though.

What about airbox, and turbo hardpipe etc. Would you only gain noise more than anything else? i heard the stock flexi pipes are quite restrictive?

I’ve got a JB4 for sale soon.
Complete with upgraded internals to cure the no boost issues it had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had an MTM in the past on a previous car and saw great gains from it but the ECU was much simplier to fool. Having had sucha great experience with MTM i was shocked to hear how terrible it is on on the RS. But i've let that option go now - i don't want to fight this ECU not at the value of the car and the risks. I'd probably have a remap one day but once the finance has finished in 2+ years. So far i'm completely stock bar some cosmetic changes. the cooler sounds interesting though.

What about airbox, and turbo hardpipe etc. Would you only gain noise more than anything else? i heard the stock flexi pipes are quite restrictive?
I had a bluespark box on my Type r. Theyre actually local to me so used my car as development, which meant I got the box at cost.

Same offer was there for the RS3 but wanted to go with a map this time, like you say not cheap motors so worth doing right.

Probably not the best person to ask beyond the input I've given but my understanding is the flexi creates a lot of turbulence so even swapping it out for a silicone hose of the same diameter might help.

Get a dragy and see what difference they make as you add them!

Contemplating getting a dragy, which is one way to check I guess.
Mainly really interested if anyone has done the bolt on route until their finance is up then gone for the remaps.
I guess it’s one of those things where you read and watch people mod their cars and it gives you the itch but not enough to risk the warranty.

Reactions: garethdj
Thing is, are you going to take it all off when it goes in for a service? If not you're still risking the warranty being void if you get an issue as they'll like make a note.

I took this route with my Type r, panel filter, cat back and tuning box. Took the tuning box off everytime it went it but not the cat back. First time I took it in I got sent a random video, simply of the car running and clear shot of the exhaust, nothing else. It was one of those ones where the usually give you a health check, walk around the car, tell you the tyre depth etc. So I assume that was only to log it's been tinkered with if things went bang.

So my thinking this time round was just to say sod it. The fact I'm now permanently working from home did help this though as its going to see 3k miles a year if that and isn't needed for a commute. So I still get where you're coming from.

As for the finance piece... If its not with audi finance I wouldn't worry about a simple stage 1 and bolt ons, they'll never tell once the cars back to stock with bolt ons taken off.

Thing is, are you going to take it all off when it goes in for a service? If not you're still risking the warranty being void if you get an issue as they'll like make a note.

I took this route with my Type r, panel filter, cat back and tuning box. Took the tuning box off everytime it went it but not the cat back. First time I took it in I got sent a random video, simply of the car running and clear shot of the exhaust, nothing else. It was one of those ones where the usually give you a health check, walk around the car, tell you the tyre depth etc. So I assume that was only to log it's been tinkered with if things went bang.

So my thinking this time round was just to say sod it. The fact I'm now permanently working from home did help this though as its going to see 3k miles a year if that and isn't needed for a commute. So I still get where you're coming from.

As for the finance piece... If its not with audi finance I wouldn't worry about a simple stage 1 and bolt ons, they'll never tell once the cars back to stock with bolt ons taken off.

I would absolutely echo this. If you fit these bolt ons (air intake/exhaust/downpipe etc...) audi will void your drive train warranty in the UK anyway. Unless you take it all off and go to stock for services or any dealer work there is no point.
There was a long thread on pH forum a couple of years ago from a lad who'd put an intake on a a1 (?!?) with no remap. His dsg gearbox crapped its self and wouldn't engage reverse - needed a rebuild. Audi wouldn't cover it as they claimed the engine was now operating outside factory warranted power levels.

Reactions: RS03??? and garethdj