Continuing After run pump issues

willh92

Reaction score
Hi all,

My after run pump is playing up a few months on from when the problem initially arose. Basically, it either doesn't come on or does come on and is spinning really slowly and seems to be struggling. However, if you push the connector towards the front of the engine bay it speeds up and sounds fine. Let go and we're back to square one - usually just cuts out then.

After having replaced the after run pump and its connector the problem still persists, to the point as a temporary fix i drilled two holes in the plastic behind the connector and passed a cable tie through to hold it back in its "working position".

Now it wont work at all, pushing the connector or not so obviously i'm concerned as to any damage to my turbo that may be caused!!

I am at a complete loss with it, i've traced the wires back to the firewall and all seems ok. Is the pump controlled by a relay ? controller unit at all??

Any help / advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Will

check the wires for continuity, if you were pulling the wires and it worked then it could be a broken wire, even if the casing isnt broken a wire can break inside. also check how its earthed.

Have done the above, problem still persists despite the wiring being okay.

The pump seems to be sticking, whenever its not working at all if i hit it, it un sticks and spins up. but its a new pump, how can it be sticking already!?

Think i might have to take it to the stealers, i'm at a complete loss with it

When did you last change your coolant?

If the coolant is filthy, then it could clog even a new pump quickly.

If it works when you hit it, I'm afraid it's the pump.

Where was the pump from? Was it new?

I dont know, certainly not in my ownership. It does have full main dealer history covered 80k so i'd assume it's been done at some point in its life! Perhaps i should do it to be on the safe side. Whats the coolant capacity of these cars?

Could i clean the pump out and hope with a coolant change that will sort it?

It was second hand but from an approved breakers.

They don't seem to last long, my S3 pump went at 100k, my brothers leon is on its third pump at 70k!

A coolant change/flush would be good, then change the pump.

Coolant capacity from memory was approx 5 litres, certainly had a bit left out of my 2l bottle of G12 when mixed to the correct ratio with water.

Cleaning the pumps is only a temp fix IMO, and doesn't always work. I think from TPS mine was about £90, but there is a Vauxhall model (Omega V6) I think that is the same and a fair bit cheaper. It's on the forum somewhere.

Ok thanks for the help, i'll look in to it and hopefully change the coolant tomorrow!

anybody know the inlet / outlet diameters for the pump. I can't find it in a search on the forum.

Tails are 20mm.

Do an eBay search for " 0 392 020 034 " (excl quotes) and a few suitable pumps show up.

VAUXHALL OMEGA BOSCH INLINE AUXILIARY 12V ELECTRIC WATER PUMP 0392020075 | eBay

I bid on this before i knew they were 20mm tails. this one has 18mm ones, not sure if any of its other characteristics are different but it seems right to me other than the diameters issue. surely a few tight jubilee clips will be fine if i win it?

I wont increase my bid on it anymore, would prefer to buy the one vrbob kindly linked above!