Contemplating Buying An S3

consciousdubwarrior

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have browsed this forum for a while now but only have signed up recently - As I have only just gotten this sudden urge and itch to buy an S3!

I know these types of posts are subjectvie and vary ALOT person to person, but I think it's a good post to make in order to get some accurate insight of ownership of a particular car (Most threads I've come accross are quite old)

I'm 27 years old & would be moving to an Audi S3. This Corsa has been my first car and I have owned it ever since. I passed my test relatively late but have owned the car for like 4-5 years now. It's not caused me ANY hassle and has been a diamond to own, however I just have this itch to get something more quicker and enjoyable to drive. Overtaking in this 1.2 is a nightmare and is generally quite boring to own. I'm also getting older so would love to have a few enjoyable cars before life circumstances mean I need to financially priortise more important things in life.

I just wanted to ask, given the current costs of fuel (England) how much do you guys fill up weekly? How much is a full tank in an Audi S3, what sort of miles does this return; when driving sensibly OR a mix of sensible driving & fun driving?

If buying a S3 second hand from a private seller, am I still able to purchase the Audi Care pack from a dealership? As I don't quite know much about them and am a little worried to go into ownership of one being warrantyless

How much are general annually costs for it? Tyres, MOT, Servicing etc?

I would be doing roughly 135 - 200 miles a week, would you say that's too much to warrant ownership of an S3? I'll probably keep the corsa and keep it as a backup, or sell it and buy something even cheaper just to have as a run around car. I was actually thinking to do uber eats or something as well on the days i'm quiet at work / on the weekend just for extra cash

In all honesty, i feel as though the fuel economy on the corsa is pretty sh*te - Admittedly i do usually drive it in high revs, only because if you change gears too early, the damn thing doesn't move! lol - I'd say i spend about £65 on fuel every week or week and half. If i'm lucky maybe every 2 weeks

Also another quick final question; there are a few optional extras i'd like; Virtual cockpit & B&O sound system as I love my music. I was thinking one with a sun roof but saw quite a few people mention this starts to creak in warmer weather. It would also have to be automatic. Manuals are long! Do you think I could get a decent example with the extras I want for a maximum of £25k? Ideally i'd want to go to a private seller, I am pretty against trade sellers - not to keen on them. I'd go to an audi dealer or audi approved seller, however I know they'll charge a bigger premium

I've been looking on autotrader recently and there aren't too many examples to choose from. There are a very limited number of examples with both the virtual cockpit & B&O sound system .. hmmm

Also if you could now go back and tell a younger you the pros and cons of your s3 ownership what would you say? in terms of selling your younger'self the s3 or generally just giving younger you advice

Any inputs appreciated :)

Reactions: Jassyo06
What version and year are you considering also not the best time to be buying a used atm mate especially an Audi

Reactions: consciousdubwarrior
Why's that pal? I was thinking maybe a 2017?
Best model year to have for various reasons 310 bhp facelift sexhaust sound no OPF Saloon is the better looker and better equipped having magnetic dampers and 19's as standard equipment l my 2017 67 plate S3 saloon BE for 3 and a half years best all round car I've ever owned
Also had 2015 S3 pre facelift sportback before that and l really disliked it

Attachments

• 20200830_174149.jpg
    20200830_174149.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 89
  • Love
Best model year to have for various reasons 310 bhp facelift sexhaust sound no OPF Saloon is the better looker and better equipped having magnetic dampers and 19's as standard equipment l my 2017 67 plate S3 saloon BE for 3 and a half years best all round car I've ever owned
Also had 2015 S3 pre facelift sportback before that and l really disliked it

**** me that is stunning. What a colour as well, mate that looks mint!

Can i see more pictures? You mind if i ask how much that set you back and what miles you purchased it at? What extras does it have, i can see you didn't go for one with a panroof, does it have the virtual cockpit/B&O system?

Actually at closer look it looks like it might have the panroof

**** me that is stunning. What a colour as well, mate that looks mint!

Can i see more pictures? You mind if i ask how much that set you back and what miles you purchased it at? What extras does it have, i can see you didn't go for one with a panroof, does it have the virtual cockpit/B&O system?

Actually at closer look it looks like it might have the panroof
Car was fully loaded "except for keyless dont like keyless" including exclusive paint circa £48k back in 2017 think l sold it for £27500 in March 21 don't know what they're selling for now think it had 32k miles on it when it went

Attachments

• 20200712_211834.jpg
    20200712_211834.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 100
  • 20200712_201209.jpg
    20200712_201209.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 87
  • 20200712_201339.jpg
    20200712_201339.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 80
  • 20200712_201255.jpg
    20200712_201255.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 80
  • 20200712_201240.jpg
    20200712_201240.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 74
  • 20200712_192536.jpg
    20200712_192536.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • 20200712_192714.jpg
    20200712_192714.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • 20200712_192800.jpg
    20200712_192800.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 82
  • 20200704_062922.jpg
    20200704_062922.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 93
Car was fully loaded "except for keyless dont like keyless" including exclusive paint circa £48k back in 2017 think l sold it for £27500 in March 21 don't know what they're selling for now think it had 32k miles on it when it went
You had the dream spec man wow! What made you sell it ?

that’s the new sort of paint colour i see a few of the new rs3’s have

i saw this one https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...ro-to-60=TO_5&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true seems to have most the stuff i want but the asking price and mileage it has is a bit crazy

what made you say buying an audi in particular right now isn’t the best time? Do you know when they may drop?

this itch i’ve got is pretty bad haha

i saw this one https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...ro-to-60=TO_5&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true seems to have most the stuff i want but the asking price and mileage it has is a bit crazy

what made you say buying an audi in particular right now isn’t the best time? Do you know when they may drop?

Ye can't get a new Audi S3's hence hiked up prices of used cars and the blue colour l got as an exclusive paint called Voodoo Blue is now regurgitated by Audi and named Turbo blue Porsche themselves use it as optional paint colour known as Sharks Blue
I sold it with the mindset that the grass was greener on the other side turned out not to be the case after 5 months ownership of a new 320 bhp TTS Vorsprung l sold that and ordered RS3 8Y Vorsprung in another exclusive paint colour Riviera blue that was almost 14 months ago and it's highly likely the car won't be built now as Audi have closed the books on the RS3 8Y

Ye can't get a new Audi S3's hence hiked up prices of used cars and the blue colour l got as an exclusive paint called Voodoo Blue is now regurgitated by Audi and named Turbo blue Porsche themselves use it as optional paint colour known as Sharks Blue
I sold it with the mindset that the grass was greener on the other side turned out not to be the case after 5 months ownership of a new 320 bhp TTS Vorsprung l sold that and ordered RS3 8Y Vorsprung in another exclusive paint colour Riviera blue that was almost 14 months ago and it's highly likely the car won't be built now as Audi have closed the books on the RS3 8Y

Ahh damn that’s rough - i’m guessing you regret selling the s3

if that’s the case and you cannot buy any new s3’s they should sort of hold their value more tho, no? If not, do you think they’ll drop again?

Initially I was going to make this purchase around march/april next year - if i did want the pan roof, that time of year they’ll probs go up a little more

are s3’s easy to sell? As i might get a cheaper but decent example to satisfy the urge then carry on looking for the dream spec, that’s probably not sensible actually haha. I’ll just wait a bit

Reactions: Jassyo06

Saloons are always a bit more expensive. I wanted the pan roof and haven't had any rattles or issues and think it transforms the car.

If you're upping the budget to 29k, then perhaps mine is worth considering. Very high spec with some rare options but no supersport seats. It does, however, have very low miles, a years Audi warranty, and is the pre opf model, so it sounds better as well as having lower road tax banding despite being the facelift model.

The reason for sale is going back to a TTS. However, the post above makes me wonder if that's wise.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Saloons are always a bit more expensive. I wanted the pan roof and haven't had any rattles or issues and think it transforms the car.

If you're upping the budget to 29k, then perhaps mine is worth considering. Very high spec with some rare options but no supersport seats. It does, however, have very low miles, a years Audi warranty, and is the pre opf model, so it sounds better as well as having lower road tax banding despite being the facelift model.

The reason for sale is going back to a TTS. However, the post above makes me wonder if that's wise.

Funnily enough I did come accross your add haha. 29k is a little bit of a stretch though, I would have to have a think about that in all honesty. It is quite steep for me

Have you owned the car from new? I do like your spec S3 but I really wanted one of those electric coloured blues or white even. Maybe the pictures don't do it justice, but from the pictures; your S3 although is a shade of blue, looks quite dark

Fully loaded? I don’t see adaptive cruise, lane assist, self parking or hill hold assist, there are so many options available on these and it’s rare to see a fully loaded car. Just saying

Reactions: MrZ, consciousdubwarrior and Dubjam
Funnily enough I did come accross your add haha. 29k is a little bit of a stretch though, I would have to have a think about that in all honesty. It is quite steep for me

Have you owned the car from new? I do like your spec S3 but I really wanted one of those electric coloured blues or white even. Maybe the pictures don't do it justice, but from the pictures; your S3 although is a shade of blue, looks quite dark
Mine is Navarra Blue, it's a really nice colour. Pics don't do it justice, but that's not helped by the Glasgow weather in late November .

The other blue you like is called Ara Blue, which I also like. Ara is quite a light colour in the flesh where Navarra changes in different lights and shades.

A lot of S3s don't have a lot of options, simple thing's like front sensors missing. Best to look at the dash buttons to see what they do or don't have. Other areas to notice are centre console buttons, different grille, sensors on the side of wing mirrors that light up, front bumper has the bigger sensors at the edges on cars with self park, cruise control stalk diffrences, electric mirror switch differences.

I was spending a lot of money, so I wanted one with as high a spec as possible, but we all like different things or have different requirements. I would have liked the super sport seats, but while I am old, the first owner was much older and chose not to spec them. Thankfully, however, he did go a bit crazy on the options.

I am the second owner. Autotrader has a weird way of detailing how many owners a car has had. It's a genuine car that's never been abused. Regardless of what you go for, the S3 is a great car, and sure, you will find a nice one.

To answer some of your questions:

Definitely get the bose system if you like decent sounding music. The audi sound system is pretty rubbish
The S3 can be a very efficient car if driven carefully. 40 mpgs no problem depending on driving style. The cost of fueling the thing should not be a concern unless you are heavy footed then it will drink loads of fuel. Insurance and tax are not particularly expensive, neither are parts and servicing since they share lots of the same parts with other cars.
Its not the most comfortable of rides so if the roads are generally rubbish where you live like they are here then prepare for a bumpy time. That can be sorted with aftermarket shocks (on my list of things to get done next year as the roads here are just so bad now).
I am told the Golf R is a better drivers car, where as the S3 is more refined but still handles well. The golf R might be a better option unless you really do want an S3. The S3 does have a slight tendency to understeer otherwise, and they are a bit twitchy at speed on the road. I don't know if the Golf R is the same regarding the twitchyness.

Manual or auto? Dont get a manual unless you want to invite trouble with rubbish underspec clutches that fail and arent covered by any warranty. Also, the autos are more cheaply tuned and able to cope with big power if you think you may end up going down that route. I bought a manual but in some ways I wish Id just got an auto now. The uprated clutch (mine is tuned) was a lot of money and is heavy in left leg in traffic, which gets totally annoying if I'm honest. I didnt like the 6 speed auto I tried at the time but Ive heard the 7 speed is a lot better. if I was buying again now I'd go for one of them no question.

One last thing: Make sure the service history shows the haldex being serviced properly (cleaning the filter as well as changing the oil). And ideally done every 20k not the 40k as per audi service schedule. If it only has audi service history it will not have been done properly, and likely you will be replacing the haldex pump in the near future which will set you back about 300 quid. Booting it off the line in 1st gear will probably soon show if the pump is guffed as it will kick the traction control off.

Happy choosing.

Reactions: 147bear and consciousdubwarrior
Fully loaded? I don’t see adaptive cruise, lane assist, self parking or hill hold assist, there are so many options available on these and it’s rare to see a fully loaded car. Just saying
Ok no drivers assistance pack which to me is a waste of money but it was and still is the finest and most expensive 8V facelift saloon car on here just saying like

To answer some of your questions:

Definitely get the bose system if you like decent sounding music. The audi sound system is pretty rubbish
The S3 can be a very efficient car if driven carefully. 40 mpgs no problem depending on driving style. The cost of fueling the thing should not be a concern unless you are heavy footed then it will drink loads of fuel. Insurance and tax are not particularly expensive, neither are parts and servicing since they share lots of the same parts with other cars.
Its not the most comfortable of rides so if the roads are generally rubbish where you live like they are here then prepare for a bumpy time. That can be sorted with aftermarket shocks (on my list of things to get done next year as the roads here are just so bad now).
I am told the Golf R is a better drivers car, where as the S3 is more refined but still handles well. The golf R might be a better option unless you really do want an S3. The S3 does have a slight tendency to understeer otherwise, and they are a bit twitchy at speed on the road. I don't know if the Golf R is the same regarding the twitchyness.

Manual or auto? Dont get a manual unless you want to invite trouble with rubbish underspec clutches that fail and arent covered by any warranty. Also, the autos are more cheaply tuned and able to cope with big power if you think you may end up going down that route. I bought a manual but in some ways I wish Id just got an auto now. The uprated clutch (mine is tuned) was a lot of money and is heavy in left leg in traffic, which gets totally annoying if I'm honest. I didnt like the 6 speed auto I tried at the time but Ive heard the 7 speed is a lot better. if I was buying again now I'd go for one of them no question.

One last thing: Make sure the service history shows the haldex being serviced properly (cleaning the filter as well as changing the oil). And ideally done every 20k not the 40k as per audi service schedule. If it only has audi service history it will not have been done properly, and likely you will be replacing the haldex pump in the near future which will set you back about 300 quid. Booting it off the line in 1st gear will probably soon show if the pump is guffed as it will kick the traction control off.

Happy choosing.

This was a very insightful comment and I am extremely appreciative you took the time out to type up a thorough reply.

I did initially used to like Golf R's however I think because I have seen so many of them on the road, they are just so boring to look at now. With the S3 Saloons I haven't seen many about and I really do like the look of them cars.

To be honest, i'm going from a 1.2corsa to a s3, so the only reason why I'm more inclined to be heavy footed with my current car; is because it's so damn slow - the s3 will on the otherhand be much more effortless to drive. That's not to say I wouldn't like to boot it now and then :)

Reactions: Damo S
Hi.
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi All,

I have browsed this forum for a while now but only have signed up recently - As I have only just gotten this sudden urge and itch to buy an S3!

I know these types of posts are subjectvie and vary ALOT person to person, but I think it's a good post to make in order to get some accurate insight of ownership of a particular car (Most threads I've come accross are quite old)

I'm 27 years old & would be moving to an Audi S3. This Corsa has been my first car and I have owned it ever since. I passed my test relatively late but have owned the car for like 4-5 years now. It's not caused me ANY hassle and has been a diamond to own, however I just have this itch to get something more quicker and enjoyable to drive. Overtaking in this 1.2 is a nightmare and is generally quite boring to own. I'm also getting older so would love to have a few enjoyable cars before life circumstances mean I need to financially priortise more important things in life.

I just wanted to ask, given the current costs of fuel (England) how much do you guys fill up weekly? How much is a full tank in an Audi S3, what sort of miles does this return; when driving sensibly OR a mix of sensible driving & fun driving?

If buying a S3 second hand from a private seller, am I still able to purchase the Audi Care pack from a dealership? As I don't quite know much about them and am a little worried to go into ownership of one being warrantyless

How much are general annually costs for it? Tyres, MOT, Servicing etc?

I would be doing roughly 135 - 200 miles a week, would you say that's too much to warrant ownership of an S3? I'll probably keep the corsa and keep it as a backup, or sell it and buy something even cheaper just to have as a run around car. I was actually thinking to do uber eats or something as well on the days i'm quiet at work / on the weekend just for extra cash

In all honesty, i feel as though the fuel economy on the corsa is pretty sh*te - Admittedly i do usually drive it in high revs, only because if you change gears too early, the damn thing doesn't move! lol - I'd say i spend about £65 on fuel every week or week and half. If i'm lucky maybe every 2 weeks

Also another quick final question; there are a few optional extras i'd like; Virtual cockpit & B&O sound system as I love my music. I was thinking one with a sun roof but saw quite a few people mention this starts to creak in warmer weather. It would also have to be automatic. Manuals are long! Do you think I could get a decent example with the extras I want for a maximum of £25k? Ideally i'd want to go to a private seller, I am pretty against trade sellers - not to keen on them. I'd go to an audi dealer or audi approved seller, however I know they'll charge a bigger premium

I've been looking on autotrader recently and there aren't too many examples to choose from. There are a very limited number of examples with both the virtual cockpit & B&O sound system .. hmmm

Also if you could now go back and tell a younger you the pros and cons of your s3 ownership what would you say? in terms of selling your younger'self the s3 or generally just giving younger you advice

S3 8V is a great choice mate. It ticks most boxes. Biggest benefit for me anyway was how tunable it is. A simple stage 1 will get you around 380bhp and will transform the car. A stage 2 and you have something special on your hands.
Depends on what you're looking to get out of it though. Stock form can be quite boring.

Fuel you can get 40mpg on a clear motorway but as its a 2L you'll obviously be spending more for a full tank. It can be very efficient on fuel.

Two things I'd look for - Water pump & Thermostat. These are a must as they go on nigh on every EA888.3 engine. So check to see if they've been replaced. If they haven't then you will need to down the line (around £400 for both).
Also depending how far you'd want to take it (engine mods and power gains) the IS38 isn't great above a certain limit - over 400bhp they can fail if ragged.
Depends on which route you want to take it though.

I wouldn't rule out dealers completely. There are some independent ones who specialize in hot hatches and take their cars very seriously. Plus you'd get warranty.

Reactions: consciousdubwarrior and Damo S
S3 8V is a great choice mate. It ticks most boxes. Biggest benefit for me anyway was how tunable it is. A simple stage 1 will get you around 380bhp and will transform the car. A stage 2 and you have something special on your hands.
Depends on what you're looking to get out of it though. Stock form can be quite boring.

Fuel you can get 40mpg on a clear motorway but as its a 2L you'll obviously be spending more for a full tank. It can be very efficient on fuel.

Two things I'd look for - Water pump & Thermostat. These are a must as they go on nigh on every EA888.3 engine. So check to see if they've been replaced. If they haven't then you will need to down the line (around £400 for both).
Also depending how far you'd want to take it (engine mods and power gains) the IS38 isn't great above a certain limit - over 400bhp they can fail if ragged.
Depends on which route you want to take it though.

I wouldn't rule out dealers completely. There are some independent ones who specialize in hot hatches and take their cars very seriously. Plus you'd get warranty.

Thanks yet again for another thorough reply it is much appreciated. I have taken note of what you have suggested

What independent dealers would you maybe suggest I can look at?

Thanks yet again for another thorough reply it is much appreciated. I have taken note of what you have suggested

What independent dealers would you maybe suggest I can look at?
SGPmotorsLtd and JSperformance cars on instagram and autotrader (although they’re more active on social media).
BlakedownCarCo although they’re a bigger dealership but they are well known for Golf Rs so should have quality S3’s (they were on officially gassed YouTube channel).
I’ve personally used SGP motors and can vouch for Steven, genuine petrolhead who looks after his cars.

SGPmotorsLtd and JSperformance cars on instagram and autotrader (although they’re more active on social media).
BlakedownCarCo although they’re a bigger dealership but they are well known for Golf Rs so should have quality S3’s (they were on officially gassed YouTube channel).
I’ve personally used SGP motors and can vouch for Steven, genuine petrolhead who looks after his cars.
Nice one thanks for that. Will keep an eye on those sellers

Do you currently own an S3, if so how long you had it for?

Nice one thanks for that. Will keep an eye on those sellers

Do you currently own an S3, if so how long you had it for?
Yes I have a S3 8V pfl stage 2, had it around 6 months and had an 8p prior to that.
M140I I just couldn’t justify a 3L RWD although the b58 engines are a level above, seriously underrrated.
Golf Rs same platform EA888 but having driven both I preferred the S3.
Plus for me, an S3 (PFL or FL) dechromed with an RS3 grill, maxton splitter and rear diffuser…there’s not a better looking hatch about (except an RS3 of course lol)

Yes I have a S3 8V pfl stage 2, had it around 6 months and had an 8p prior to that.
M140I I just couldn’t justify a 3L RWD although the b58 engines are a level above, seriously underrrated.
Golf Rs same platform EA888 but having driven both I preferred the S3.
Plus for me, an S3 (PFL or FL) dechromed with an RS3 grill, maxton splitter and rear diffuser…there’s not a better looking hatch about (except an RS3 of course lol)

I agree with you, the dechrome along with the maxton splitter and defusers completely transform the look of the car, makes it alot more aggressive.

Out of curiosity what kind of MPG do you achieve being stage 2? How many miles do you do in it weekly?

I was thinking about the m140's as well, but justifying a 3L was no feasible lol

Just waiting until early next year so I can save up some more funds - Been looking at S3's so much lately lol

You got any pics of yours? :)

I agree with you, the dechrome along with the maxton splitter and defusers completely transform the look of the car, makes it alot more aggressive.

Out of curiosity what kind of MPG do you achieve being stage 2? How many miles do you do in it weekly?

I was thinking about the m140's as well, but justifying a 3L was no feasible lol

Just waiting until early next year so I can save up some more funds - Been looking at S3's so much lately lol

You got any pics of yours? :)
Around 21-25mpg town driving in efficiency mode (lots of stop starts etc)
Around 35mpg motorway driving.
All changes in Dynamic + sport though lol
To be honest I have the oil temp gauge on my display over the mpg indication but it’s around those numbers on a stage 2 for me anyway.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• 1E974974-1DFA-40B0-A0D8-4154303ED028.jpeg
    1E974974-1DFA-40B0-A0D8-4154303ED028.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 66
  • 47B2962A-55E1-4327-B2FE-68CC25F73061.jpeg
    47B2962A-55E1-4327-B2FE-68CC25F73061.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 61
  • 390F2DE7-C3BC-4AE3-818C-5B35BF4E3B73.jpeg
    390F2DE7-C3BC-4AE3-818C-5B35BF4E3B73.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 53
  • 14FD916C-B3AA-43BC-8ABC-2DD176BD9E23.jpeg
    14FD916C-B3AA-43BC-8ABC-2DD176BD9E23.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Around 21-25mpg town driving in efficiency mode (lots of stop starts etc)
Around 35mpg motorway driving.
All changes in Dynamic + sport though lol
To be honest I have the oil temp gauge on my display over the mpg indication but it’s around those numbers on a stage 2 for me anyway.

Here are some pics:
Haha! I can imagine it drops quite easily to like 11 or so when you boot it in dynanic

Do you do many miles in it? Or is it like a weekend toy?

That's a lovely motor my man wow - How much did stage 2 cost in total with the required mods? Is it APR stage 2?

I have a manual but rarely drive in heavy traffic but would consider an auto if I was driving around town every day.
The clutch gave out at 30k miles and I replaced with a heavy duty RTS clutch which feels a lot better (but still as light as the original) and has stood up to 5k miles with a stage 1 tune. If you want a manual don't be put off. They are cheaper and an uprated clutch + DMF can be fitted for around £1k
At 5 years old, many S3s will have had either been mapped or had a tuning box fitted and removed. I'd look carefully under the bonnet for signs of tuning bits fitted and removed. Look for annual oil change/every 9000 miles rather than 2 years/19000 miles which is asking for trouble.
Extras, I wouldn't be without B&O and Hold Assist and the other stuff to me is just styling and toys. But I'd rather pay for engine than toys.
Servicing, similar to any car. 18" tyres - Michelins cheaper than for my wife's Fiesta. Insurance less than £300 with stage 1 tune declared.
Economy average 28 - 30 mpg.
Audi serviced the Haldex at 20k miles. I did it last year at 32k and the filter was well gunged up.
Mine's a FL 2016 and my factory order. Best car I've owned and no plans to change it any time soon.

Haha! I can imagine it drops quite easily to like 11 or so when you boot it in dynanic

Do you do many miles in it? Or is it like a weekend toy?

That's a lovely motor my man wow - How much did stage 2 cost in total with the required mods? Is it APR stage 2?
I daily it to work around 150 miles a week.
I actually bought it stage 2 but I did the stage 2 on my 8p so it’s not too dissimilar in cost:
Miltek non res catback exhaust - Just under £900
Trackslag 4” decat downpipe - £400
Ramair intake + turbo elbow (or R600 or APR) - around £300
Airtech Intercooler - £500 or thereabouts
Stage 2 ECU & TCU map - anywhere from £700-1000 depending on the tuner. Most places do it as a package so you’d save a bit.

Depends on where you’re based but personally I’d not go down the APR route and would go down the custom map route. MRC in Banbury, Unicorn in Manchester, Devil developments near Horsham, Wrench studios who I’m using for stage 3

I have a manual but rarely drive in heavy traffic but would consider an auto if I was driving around town every day.
The clutch gave out at 30k miles and I replaced with a heavy duty RTS clutch which feels a lot better (but still as light as the original) and has stood up to 5k miles with a stage 1 tune. If you want a manual don't be put off. They are cheaper and an uprated clutch + DMF can be fitted for around £1k
At 5 years old, many S3s will have had either been mapped or had a tuning box fitted and removed. I'd look carefully under the bonnet for signs of tuning bits fitted and removed. Look for annual oil change/every 9000 miles rather than 2 years/19000 miles which is asking for trouble.
Extras, I wouldn't be without B&O and Hold Assist and the other stuff to me is just styling and toys. But I'd rather pay for engine than toys.
Servicing, similar to any car. 18" tyres - Michelins cheaper than for my wife's Fiesta. Insurance less than £300 with stage 1 tune declared.
Economy average 28 - 30 mpg.
Audi serviced the Haldex at 20k miles. I did it last year at 32k and the filter was well gunged up.
Mine's a FL 2016 and my factory order. Best car I've owned and no plans to change it any time soon.
They are very encouraging words. I think the part you mention them being 5 year old cars, the likelihood of them having been tuned or mapped is high, is a good point. I will definitely take this into consideration when looking. Thing is when i buy one next year around March/April time, they'll actually be ~6 years old.

I think something that may also help potentially avoiding this issue is trying to look for an example with less owners. A s3 with 2 previous owners compared to 5 will probably minimise the chances quite a bit

I daily it to work around 150 miles a week.
I actually bought it stage 2 but I did the stage 2 on my 8p so it’s not too dissimilar in cost:
Miltek non res catback exhaust - Just under £900
Trackslag 4” decat downpipe - £400
Ramair intake + turbo elbow (or R600 or APR) - around £300
Airtech Intercooler - £500 or thereabouts
Stage 2 ECU & TCU map - anywhere from £700-1000 depending on the tuner. Most places do it as a package so you’d save a bit.

Depends on where you’re based but personally I’d not go down the APR route and would go down the custom map route. MRC in Banbury, Unicorn in Manchester, Devil developments near Horsham, Wrench studios who I’m using for stage 3
Nice one for the breakdown - Wrench is quite local to me, everyone has good things to say about those guys

how much power is yours running being stage 2 atm? roughly?

Ok no drivers assistance pack which to me is a waste of money but it was and still is the finest and most expensive 8V facelift saloon car on here just saying like

Drivers Assistance Aids and Adaptive Cruise are increasingly becoming a must in this day and age with our packed roads and motorways. Cars without them are beginning to be valued lower and this will definitely continue. I wouldn't buy a car without them now.

You really do need to add 'in your opinion' to the end of your statements lol, I definitely don't think yours was the 'finest', the colour, in my opinion was ghastly, but it's all personally subjective, we like what we like.

Nice one for the breakdown - Wrench is quite local to me, everyone has good things to say about those guys

how much power is yours running being stage 2 atm? roughly?
You’re not far from me then
Wrench are 10 mins down the road from me lol
Yes they are extremely good
They’ve done all DMO’s cars.
I’m at 403bhp dyno’d on stage 2
But taking it to wrench for them to work their magic on a stage 3

Drivers Assistance Aids and Adaptive Cruise are increasingly becoming a must in this day and age with our packed roads and motorways. Cars without them are beginning to be valued lower and this will definitely continue. I wouldn't buy a car without them now.

You really do need to add 'in your opinion' to the end of your statements lol, I definitely don't think yours was the 'finest', the colour, in my opinion was ghastly, but it's all personally subjective, we like what we like.
I'm really impressed with the ACC and all the different systems. They work really well. Had quite a few Audi's in the past (mainly tt's), and they don't get the same options as the S3.

I know my spec is quite rare, but I always wanted to know what option is missing from my centre console buttons. Do you know? The link to my advert is above, and one of the pics shows the buttons.

My opinion and at the time l got the car so many other members on here thought the same...thee best specified/looking S3 as for nanny aids well if anyone needs them you shouldn't be driving on the roads the DAP and keyless where intentionally left out
We'll leave it at that

My opinion and at the time l got the car so many other members on here thought the same...thee best specified/looking S3 as for nanny aids well if anyone needs them you shouldn't be driving on the roads the DAP and keyless where intentionally left out
We'll leave it at that

Yes, your opinion. My opinion is that is isn't. The colour for me is far too chavtastic, others will agree with you, some will agree with me, hence my comment of adding IMO after making sweeping generalisations...which goes for 'fully loaded' , when in fact, it wasn't.

As for driver assistance aids, actually, no. They have proven to reduce driver fatigue and increase safety, as humans are inherently flawed, even you. It has very little to do with being a 'nanny aid and that anyone that uses them shouldn't be on the roads', it often has to do with the level of comfort a person requires and to help a second line of defence over natural human reactions and abilities that change on a minute by minute basis and often connected to levels of stress and perceptions based on environment. A computer doesnt have those issues, therefore combined with the organic ability of a human, the combination is better with than, than without.

For me, sitting in a traffic jam or slow moving traffic, or even standard motorway driving, why would I want to do reduce my energy level by unnecessary stop start manual activation. I turn on the functions such as adaptive cruise and it does it for me, you can only go 70mph afterall. Therefore I suggest that those that don't feel like they need them, actually do, as it will reduce their fatigue and therefore in turn increase their concentration levels when normal driving resumes or they enter city/towns where manual operation is required.

I'm really impressed with the ACC and all the different systems. They work really well. Had quite a few Audi's in the past (mainly tt's), and they don't get the same options as the S3.

I know my spec is quite rare, but I always wanted to know what option is missing from my centre console buttons. Do you know? The link to my advert is above, and one of the pics shows the buttons.

I can't really see anything missing from your MMI controller - the only things there I think are the Hill Hold Assist, Hand brake, Push button start which are all present with yours. It looks like you have Blind Spot Sssistant as well from the mirrors. Probably the best specced S3 I've seen!

You’re not far from me then
Wrench are 10 mins down the road from me lol
Yes they are extremely good
They’ve done all DMO’s cars.
I’m at 403bhp dyno’d on stage 2
But taking it to wrench for them to work their magic on a stage 3

oh yeah? I’m near harlington in heathrow, what about you?

fuckkkk your s3 must be nippy lol, do you know what stage 3 will bring it to roughly?

I can't really see anything missing from your MMI controller - the only things there I think are the Hill Hold Assist, Hand brake, Push button start which are all present with yours. It looks like you have Blind Spot Sssistant as well from the mirrors. Probably the best specced S3 I've seen!

Excellent thanks for that

oh yeah? I’m near harlington in heathrow, what about you?

fuckkkk your s3 must be nippy lol, do you know what stage 3 will bring it to roughly?

I'm 10 mins from you, Ashford/staines

Should hopefully get her upwards of 500. If you're about next week give me a shout you can check mine before you buy one

I'm 10 mins from you, Ashford/staines

Should hopefully get her upwards of 500. If you're about next week give me a shout you can check mine before you buy one

lol you’ll be loving life when you get near that figure!

nice one for that, I will definitely let you know pal. Appreciate the offer